Pilgrimage to Saudi Arabia

I have an urgent Question to ask… and I need sincere suggestions please…

My family is Muslim, and I’m a convert from Muslim to a Christian, the problem is that none of my family members are aware of my conversion although, my mother does know but she thinks i may have converted back since i dont speak of Christ or pray in front of her, i do it when im alone and in peace…
Anyhow, this coming Thursday my family and i are going to Saudia Arabia , for a Holy pilgrimage for Musims to Makkah, where every Muslim are there to worship Allah, and bow down to the Black Stone.
I personally dont feel comfortable going there and being a part of this journey since I have embraced Christianity, I honestly believe that ill be betraying Christ, what should i do?
Although I know i waont be praying to the God of Muslims, but my heart doesn’t accept me even being a part in this whole travel…
Even if i tell my parents that i dont want to go, they would question me as to why, and revealing my conversion to Christianity isnt a good time, I would like if you please suggest me a way to handle this situation as to what should i do with the Pilgrimage to Saudi Arabia??

Your suggestions would be highly appreciated.
Thankyou

Nida

Wow.

God bless you, I pray for you and your family. Now, Biblically speaking you ought to tell your family, because you’re going to have to eventually anyways. How long are you planning on hiding it for? Your life? That won’t do.

Here are some passages to help you through your troubling time:

Mark 4:21 And he said to them, "Is a lamp brought in to be put under a basket, or under a bed, and not on a stand?

22 For nothing is hidden except to be made manifest; nor is anything secret except to come to light.

Your secret is destined to come out according to Christ, also:

Matthew 10:32 So everyone who acknowledges me before men, I also will acknowledge before my Father who is in heaven,

33 but whoever denies me before men, I also will deny before my Father who is in heaven.

This is the hard truth. But, to give you courage I’ll leave you with these from Matthew 5:

6 "Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.

9 "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God

10 "Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

11 "Blessed are you when others revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account.

12 Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

I sent you a PM. :slight_smile:

no one has any business telling this young lady to put herself in danger.she lives in pakistan ,her family is about to embark on pilgrimage to mecca, this not something than anyone on an internet forum has any business suggesting a course of action that could cause her harm !!:mad:

With all due respect, entering Mecca in Saudi Arabia as a kaffir is not really a wise course of action, either. There’s a reason there’s a lane around Mecca for kuffar (non believers) it is forbidden for a non-believer to enter Mecca under Sharia.

When I went to the middle east last, I crossed from the United Arab Emirates into Saudia Arabia. Upon arrival in KSA, we were explicitly warned not to enter Mecca or Medinah.

Entering Mecca on false pretenses is a serious crime punishable under Saudi law. Please be aware of that also. If you go, you must play the part.

I was only speaking from a biblical perspective. I’m not assuming she can give up everything and follow Christ as He would have taught; I don’t think I could do it either. But I can only speak Biblically.

As they say in the Koran be like a fox, and this is what you have to do, play the part, but your mind is on Christ, act normally for your own safety, then when you leave home do your own thing, you might even be able to travel, and you can then practice the Catholic Faith , and have Catholic books, and go to Mass when you want during the week, for the moment its “on hold” until you come back. If its safe for you to do so go to see a priest and discuss it.

Oh my God I will continue to perform all my actions for the love of thee in the name of the Holy Trinity . Amen

My prayers go with you, May Jesus the Lord protect you always.

Agreed, and be safe.

خدا آپ کو برکت دے

In the Qur’an this is called, “taqiya” and it is unbiblical. I understand your point so I’ll also give this to the OP.

Matthew 10:16 "Behold, I am sending you out as sheep in the midst of wolves, so be wise as serpents and innocent as doves.

17 Beware of men, for they will deliver you over to courts and flog you in their synagogues,

18 and you will be dragged before governors and kings for my sake, to bear witness before them and the Gentiles.

19 When they deliver you over, do not be anxious how you are to speak or what you are to say, for what you are to say will be given to you in that hour.

20 For it is not you who speak, but the Spirit of your Father speaking through you.

21 Brother will deliver brother over to death, and the father his child, and children will rise against parents and have them put to death,

22 and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved.

Nothing about playing the part. I’m sorry, but we can’t water down our beliefs for the sake of another’s conscience. The truth is, we have to be honest about who Christ is when facing death.

Again, I do not claim that I would be capable or that this is what I would do; what I’m saying is that it’s the right thing to do.

If you can go to a safe place, another country that doesn’t persecute Christians that would be the best solution. If not that can you go to a safe place in your own coundtry? But no, no matter what you should not go. That is the way Saints are made. I will pray for you.

Linus2nd

تقية is not universally accepted in Islam. Only in Sh’ia beliefs does one practice تقية . It is not found in the Qu’ran and is a doctrine invented by a sh’ia imaam. So, it’s also bid’ah in most mainstream Muslim belief.

I agree that in the best of circumstances she should not go, not only because it would be problematic from a Christian standpoint, but because undertaking Hajj, a major pillar of the Islam faith, is a pivotal point in a Muslim’s faith journey. So much so, that hajjis, upon returning from Mecca, are given a new title to reflect their status of having gone on Hajj/Umrah.

Still, we don’t know what kind of environment the OP is in. Not all of Pakistan is as conservative and it may not actually be a danger for her, at least in terms of with her family. Then again, it may be.

As I said, under the best circumstances, I’d say don’t go. But what if she isn’t in the best of circumstances? Being very involved in the Desi community in the US, I’m very hesitant to put her on a path to martyrdom à la the “That is the way Saints are made” comment.

You are certainly entitled to your views as an Evangelical, but us Catholics would agree to differ, in her case she keeps the head down and act like everyone else, in her prayers her head and mind is directed to Christ, she is not denying Christ, she is being cautious for the moment, you don’t know how old she is, nor do I, either way, she has to keep herself safe, later on she can practice her Catholic Faith in the open, and then can mention to a priest in Confession she had to go to Mecca and join in, the priest will no doubt give her the same advice as I got when I had to go back to a Synagogue with my family for a particular reason on a one off- he said I did the correct thing- blend in, maybe in the Evangelical sect you might think one should scream and shout out in the middle of Mecca
“Everyone listen I am a Christian” that girl would go home with her body in pieces, the sort of pieces you find in a curry. This is not the Catholic way, and this is a Catholic Forum, that is why she asked advice on the Catholic Forum.

I don’t like or agree with your advice being a Convert myself.

I only quoted Scripture and explained it.

Indeed. It’s very easy for someone to write “No! MARTYR FOR THE CAUSE OR YOU’RE DENYING CHRIST!”. However, very few people in the West know the true meaning of “religious persecution.” If you feel that you must go on Hajj to remain safe and that it is not safe/appropriate for your conversion to be discussed, please go. You are not denying Christ, you are not denying your faith, you are simply doing what you must for now until the day that you can practice openly for your faith and be a testimony and a witness, and a friend for others like you in the future.

I do agree that not all Muslims accept this way of life, but Christians certainly don’t.

Yes I understand that this is a Catholic Forum, but after being here long enough I have learned that Catholics are very strict about honesty.

I’ve even been told it would be wrong to lie to the nazi’s about hiding Jews, because that would be deceitful. Perhaps not all Catholics accept this, but one thing I accept is what Christ said about persecution.

Wise as serpents; innocent as doves. Intellect, but never deceit.

I don’t know how many times I’ll have to make it clear but I’ll state it again… I am not saying I could do it, or I would if given this situation. I’m saying it’s Biblical and I’m supporting it Scriptually.

Many Catholics hid Jews, and many Jews are alive because Catholics and protestants lied to protect them from genocide. Any ‘Catholic’ who has said it’s better to sell out the Jews than to lie to the Nazis should probably read CCC 2488–2489 again.

In the grand scheme of things, sometimes things must be done to ensure that the good, the right, and the just continue. If we send all Christians instantly to martyrdom, what does that do? What does it tell our brothers and sisters in Christ when people advocate against their personal safety by quoting scripture on an internet forum? She probably knows the scripture, that’s why she’s here (and Catholic guilt is universal). I understand that evangelicals really love to quote scripture even when they admit that they themselves wouldn’t follow it, but with that ability comes judgement and when you stand before your creator and he asks you why you counseled someone to place themselves in harm’s way, what will you say? If she does go and does the motions and keeps Christ in her mind and heart, she is not rejecting him. Then, she comes home, graduates, moves, marries a catholic/christian and has christian children who then have christian children, then is that not the lesser of two evils? No one can ever take Christ from your heart, but that doesn’t mean you have to martyr yourself to prove your faith.

The reason we Evangelicals quote Scripture and admit that we could not follow it is because always trusting God and doing what is right is impossible. Only One could do that and He died on a cross.

And you’re so right about one thing, and it’s standing before our creator after giving advice. That’s why I always add that I don’t know if I could do it myself. I can’t sit back and pretend I would do the right thing, but that won’t stop me from teaching what’s right. I’m afraid that God will bring me a similar task and I will fail, therefore I must humbly admit that I may not have the strength to do the same.

I hope that if I am ever put in the same position where I must die for my faith that I can and will. It’s how the Church started and how the world will end.

It’s great that you feel that way, it is commendable to want to have the strength to die for your faith. I’m sure many would agree with you, myself included. However, martyrdom is a personal conviction, if she felt like she was ready to die in the middle of Pakistan, then she probably wouldn’t have posted here and the point would be moot.

I understand scripture, I know it, you know it, and so too probably does she. However, when it comes to personal safety when you can avoid placing yourself and others in harm’s way, I think you are obligated to do it as long as you keep your faith in your heart.

I cannot condone that she not go to Mecca based on the scripture you posted, nor can I condone your posting of the scripture because it presupposes a position of 'this is what you MUST do from a Christian standpoint"

I’m afraid I won’t budge on my position that keeping Christ in her heart and keeping her head down does no disservice to her God or faith.

Al Qaeda uses scripture to encourage martyrdom, not Catholics.

To be fair my friend, assuming she’s persistent in prayer, trusting God and is truthful then God will guide her to where she needs to be. He could take her out of this situation or use her for His glory in other ways; this is assuming her Faith is strong enough to do so.

If her Faith is not strong enough then I can understand her choice to keep silent and go with the flow until she feels comfortable, but that doesn’t mean it’s right and perfect. She wants advice on the Christian thing to do, and I’m providing that.

Death isn’t certain, but God’s will is perfect if she chooses to follow it even with the chance of persecution. I don’t think I’ve said anything wrong, but I do agree that I havn’t said anything comforting by this world’s standards.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.