Pilgrimage

I’ve never started my own thread here and so I thought I’d start one today…!

If you could go on pilgrimage where would you go?

Who would you choose to have along with you?

:slight_smile:

Hi, Arthra.

Assisi, specifically to the tomb of St. Francis.

I would bring my dad and my wife and children with me.

I would go to the Vatican.

Camino de Santiago. The Way.

With my dear wife…

At a very slow pace (for my sake, not hers).:slight_smile:

I’ve been to Jerusalem once. I’d go back a thousand times if I could. Rome too, and Constantinople (I hate using the I-word). I’ve never been to Antioch or Alexandria, but they’re on my list!

I have two countries and 3 Holy Sites I’d like to visit if I can ever save enough on Social Security: 1. The Site of Fatima (Our Lady of Fatima) Apparitions – I’m especially dedicated to Our Lady of Fatima
2. I’d love to see St. Peter’s Cathedral & perhaps see the Pope
3. I’d go to Assisi, and perhaps a couple of the other sites near there where St. Francis and St. Clare lived and worked.

If I could, I’d also love to see Jerusalem, but also especially, the Sea of Galilee and Bethlehem, and the site of Nazareth.

Back in 1975 my wife and I went on pilgrimage to the Holy Land… but more specifically the area around Haifa and Akka… where there are several Baha’i Holy Places … The Shrine of the Bab, Akka where Baha’u’llah was imprisoned, the al Jazzar mosque in Akka,

flickr.com/photos/djkianoosh/316857789/

Bahji nearby.

These are all sites of interest to Baha’is… We also visited the Stella Maris Carmelite Monastery on Mount Carmel…

search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=AsxIwOdNCFKBM9kUi721TICbvZx4?fr=yfp-t-159-s&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8&p=carmelite%20monastery

the crusader foundations of Akka are also interesting… The fluer de lis can still be seen in the vaulted capitols of the foundation of Akka. In the distance you can see the hills of the Galilee. There are caves on Mount Carmel where Elijah is supposed to have lived… One at the Stella Maris Monastery and another one further down the hill may be administered by Jewish

When you go on pilgrimage it’s like the experience repeats itself during your life… You never forget it! The people you meet on pilgrimage are always fresh in your mind.

We want to go on pilgrimage again soon… A lot of new things are there since we went.over thirty years ago.

I’ve always wanted to go to Ars and see the Shrine of St. Jean-Marie Vianney. Unfortunately, it’s a bit hard to get to, and would require a plane, a bus, then a taxi just to get to! Looking forward to being able to do it eventually though.

Sea of Galilee/Lake Tiberias

Way of St James

Hubby and I have been to the Vatican and have seen St. Peter’s Basilica…but we didn’t go inside.
It was way too hot (August and 100 degrees) and I was pregnant and the line was really, really long just to get inside.

I want to go back and go inside next time.

I also want to go to Lourdes and the Holy Land.

All of which with my husband…and my kids when they are old enough to understand and appreciate what they are seeing.

This.

A pilgrimage I hope to take myself someday. :slight_smile:

Sloppy Joe’s with Jimmy Buffett.

Oh, wait…you mean a religious pilgrimage? :stuck_out_tongue:

Seriously, I would like to go to Rome and to Israel with Steve Ray.

See you there. Buen Camino!

I too was fortunate to go to Haifa Israel on the Baha’i Nine Day Pilgrimage. It is as Arthra said, unforgettable.

I hope to return as soon as I can, I think currently we have to wait 5 years for we can re-apply. Its is great to see places the Bible talks about, Mt Carmel, Akka (or Acre or Akko), Cave of Elijah Valley of Sharon. etc All places that will See the “Glory of the Lord”.

Like a Moth to the Flame :thumbsup:

Regards Tony

To the Holy Land during Lent and walk the steps of Jesus on Good Friday.

I am going to do it someday too. If the Good Lord Willing!

Learning about some of the pilgrimages people are focusing on is a learning experience…

St. Peter’s Basilica.

The Site of Fatima (Our Lady of Fatima) Apparitions – dedicated to Our Lady of Fatima

Assisi, and perhaps a couple of the other sites near there where St. Francis and St. Clare lived and worked.

Camino de Santiago

We hear about pilgrimages by Shiah pilgrims…

There are two pilgrimage sites Baha’is have that have been destroyed such as the House of the Bab in Shiraz destroyed after the Islamic revolution in Iran…and the House of Baha’u’llah in Baghdad destroyed most recently only a few months back.

Baha’is go to Haifa/Akka to see the Shrines there…

:slight_smile:

There are a whole bunch of places I’d love to go. However, I would most like to go on the Hajj pilgrimage in Mecca, Saudi Arabia. I’d like to have some of my buddies from my local mosque go with me (if they haven’t already done Hajj).

Since Ive never really been abroad. Here’s my ideal list.

Camino de Santiago
The Vatican
Lourdes France
San Chapelle France
Israel
Fatima Portugal

While all of those places would be nice to visit, Just to be different I will say the churches of Lalibela, in Ethiopia.

whc.unesco.org/en/list/18

:takeoff::takeoff::takeoff:

My son spent last year for semester abroad in West Bank, Israel, Egypt and Jordan. He was in Jerusalem for Easter Week and walked the steps on Good Friday as well as watch the sunrise from Mt Olives on Easter Sunday.

I hope you are able to go.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.