Pilot Who Stopped to Pray During Crash Is Sentenced

I kid you not. Ten years just for praying. And by the country when the pope hangs out. Just unbelievable. Those nasty atheists have really gone too far.
foxnews.com/story/0,2933,510460,00.html

What are you talking about! Check your facts better. He was sentenced for causing the death of people and not for praying. Fox news does not state that he was sentenced for praying. :mad:

This is an excerpt from the full Reuters article, which explains more than the snippet in the Fox News link.

A fuel-gauge malfunction was partly to blame but prosecutors also said the pilot succumbed to panic, praying out loud instead of following emergency procedures and then opting to crash-land the plane instead trying to reach a nearby airport.

reuters.com/article/oddlyEnoughNews/idUSTRE52N63B20090325

Edit:
No, even the Fox News article mentions those facts

An Italian court sentenced the flier and his co-pilot for the 2005 crash off the coast of Sicily that left 16 people dead. A fuel-gauge malfunction sparked the crash, but in a state of panic the pilot prayed out loud rather than taking measures to save passengers or attempting to make it to a nearby airport.

Clearly, the pilot was sentenced for not following emergency procedures. The prayer is incidental.

When posting a news article you must title the thread the exact title of the article which is " Pilot Who Stopped to Pray During Crash Is Sentenced" not “Italian court sentences man to 10 years for praying!”

Is this article a good reminder that there exists a time and a place for everything, including prayer? :o

I kind of thought there would be more to the story. Now if it were a British court…

Amen, brother!
When it comes to pilots, surgeons, &c. give me a competent atheist over a holy nincompoop any day.

:smiley:

lets not forget he is human after all. i know if im on a plane and its going down im gonna pray too. these seem like extraordinary circumstances training or not.

As a pilot and a man who spends not an inconsiderable time in daily prayer, I am appalled at the actions and behavior of this pilot. People are dead and families have been torn apart. The verdict and sentence may be unjust only in that it may be too short.

Another point to make is that the Pilot was from Tunisia, a predominantly Muslim country so the pilot make not have been a Christian. Not that that makes any difference.

Shouldn’t we be required to actually read the article before posting it?

Did you read about the plane which went down in NYC a few weeks ago? A quick prayer, God help me! would have sufficed and then the pilot’s attention should have turned back to his job.

Come on folks. Can’t you pray and work at the same time? The problem seems to be that the pilot panicked. So, he had both a lack of adequate training and an apparent lack of faith in himself.

Catholics can walk and chew gum at the same time. For example, they can pray the Rosary…by reciting prayers, while at the same time reflecting and the various aspects of Christ’s life. I have prayed the Rosary while driving. If this pilot had been a Catholic, I think he could have and probably would have, done both.

Wow…an Atheist and a liberal too…what a surprising combination… :rolleyes:

Catholics can walk and chew gum at the same time. For example, they can pray the Rosary…by reciting prayers, while at the same time reflecting and the various aspects of Christ’s life. If this pilot had been a Catholic, I think he could have and probably would have, done both.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.