Pinal deputies allege Planned Parenthood didn't report assault

The allegation raised in a Pinal County sheriff’s sex-assault report is clear: An East Valley Planned Parenthood clinic failed to report evidence of teen rape.

If Planned Parenthood workers had reported the alleged assault in December, it could have jump-started a sheriff’s investigation into 18-year-old Tyler Kost months before the Poston Butte High School student is alleged to have assaulted other teens at the school, court documents say.

Reporting such assaults is required for Planned Parenthood, and a sheriff’s spokesman said investigators had shared the alleged failure to report with Planned Parenthood administrators and Arizona Department of Health Services officials.

azcentral.com/story/news/local/pinal/2014/05/08/pinal-deputies-allege-planned-parenthood-report-assault/8837543

Why does this not surprise me. I have read this allegation against Planned Parenthood before.
Mary.

I wish people could grasp what PP is really all about - $$$$$$$

They have no concern for women or children or families. Always allegations and nothing but a mention in papers. Although, the sheriff in Pinal is pretty active and maybe something will be done :shrug:

I don’t think the main issue is that we’ve read this before; it’s that we’ve all read this countless times before. PP is all about pushing abortions and contraception regardless of the means or costs. And they get $750 million of our tax dollars every year to do it.

It is unfortunate that the rape was not reported to the police sooner since it sounds like the victims were terrorized by their rapist. However, I’m not sure that PP was required to report. The girl was 15 at the time and the rapist was 17 or 18. Arizona statutes define the crime of sexual misconduct with a minor as:

Sexual intercourse or oral sexual contact with someone at least 15 years of age and less than 18 years of age where the defendant is at least 19 years of age, not attending high school, at least 2 years older than the victim, and not the victim’s spouse.

but the statute regarding mandated reporters also has this:

it only refers to those cases where the abuse occurred as the result of an act or omission on the part of someone having care, custody, and control of the child.

Source

What the perpetrator did was criminal but it doesn’t appear that the PP worker had an obligation to report. What she did was falsify documents in order to avoid complying with the law as a mandated reporter. I don’t know if that is criminal or unethical or both. The girl or her mother (who accompanied her to PP) could have reported it to the police anytime. Rape/sexual assault do not have to be reported by mandated reporters in all cases and the conditions that require reporting vary depending on jurisdiction. That’s what I’ve gleaned from the information I’ve found.

Also, FYI information on reporting sexual assault to the police.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.