Pink Chasuble

Has anyone ever heard of a priest on Sunday wearing a pink chasuble for Breast Cancer Awareness?

Shalom,
Joe

Never heard of it. While a well-meaning idea, I find it to be inappropriate since it’s not a liturgical color, and it’s also quite impractical since chasubles are expensive.

Pink–actually called “Old Rose”–is a liturgical color. It’s use is very limited. It is worn on two Sundays of the year…the third Sunday of Advent and the fourth Sunday of Lent.

Green is the color of Ordinary Time. White can substitute for Green.

Pink IS a liturgical color. It may be used in two occasions every year: Gaudete Sunday in Advent and Laetare Sunday in Lent. It is sort of a mixture of Purple and White…

Nonetheless, I see no point in using it to promote Breast Cancer Awareness… most people will not understand what he was trying to do.

JP

I certainly hope not. The Mass is not a billboard for causes or current events. It is the Holy Sacrifice - Christ on Calvary. Not a place to make statements, however well meaning they might be.

:doh2:

~Liza

To my knowledge, the only Sundays for which pink (Rose, actually) is liturgically appropriate are Gaudete Sunday (3rd Sunday of Advent) & Laetare Sunday (4th Sunday of Lent).

This kind of reminds me of a priest who used a vestment for Easter one year that had little pink “Easter bunnies” sprawling all over it. That, of course, was highly inappropriate, not to mention just plain silly. The parishioners rolled eyes and shook heads. The bishop was livid. Needless to say, that vestment was not worn again (at least not in public).

In this case, even though the cause may be noble, a pink vestment is still inappropriate.

Almost in stereo. We’re one tweeter short. :smiley:

HA! awesome

Rose is a liturgical color (while pink is not :slight_smile: ), but it should not be worn for things like this. It should only be worn on the two Sundays of the year that are mentioned above. The mass is not for the priest to make up as he goes along, it is the public worship of the church, governed by it’s rules and regulations. This priest needs to say the black and do the red.

Yuck…

As has been pointed out by previous posters, the pink color associated with breast cancer awareness is not the color of Gaudete and Laetare Sundays. Rose is the liturgical color of Gaudete and Laetare Sundays. Pink is not a liturgical color.

Four possibilites:

A white chasuble was washed with something red;

A well intentioned but liturgically unaware relative or wealthy parish member made it for and/or gave it to the Priest;

It was really rose but bad lighting made it appear pink.

Advent started really early this year.

:wink:

Last I knew rose (not pink) was for use on one of the Sundays of advent.

Just to clarify, the chasuble was our very ornate rose-colored chasuble that is usually used for Gaudete and Laetare Sundays.

Well Father should know better. It is for the liturgical seasons - not a billboard for social causes.

~Liza

Pink is not a liturgical colour; rose is. Rose is a rather subtle colour but it is different from pink. Msgr. Peter J. Elliott goes to some lengths in his book “Ceremonies of the Roman Rite” to explain that rose must be used and that pink is never appropriate.

Rose is not obligatory. It is only used on 2 days per year so it could be too expensive for parishes to purchase a rose vestment set that only gets used twice per year.

The liturgical colours are based on the different seasons of the liturgical year. The colour may be different from the liturgical season for holydays, requiems, votive Masses and ritual Masses and on some occasions for Masses for various needs and occasions. The liturgical colours are not to be used for ‘theme days’ such as Breast Awareness Day.

Pink by any other name is still pink.:smiley:

I beg to differ. Rose is rose. Pink is pink.

These things matter. You could say the same about purple and violet. It couldn’t be further from the truth. Purple is the proper color of a bishop, and is a sign of royalty. Violet is the proper color of funerals, advent, and lent, and is the proper color of mourning (and sometimes hopeful waiting).Purple and Violet couldn’t be further from each other.

Actually at this point you are arguing semantics.

Well, that is better than two synapses!:blush:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.