Pink Ouija Board 'Toy' Targeting Young Girls Sparks Boycott

By Kathleen GilbertPAWTUCKET, Rhode Island, February 5, 2010 (LifeSiteNews.com) - A boycott has been launched against toymaker giant Hasbro and Toys R Us for making and marketing a pink Ouija board targeting girls as young as eight years old.The board’s Toys R Us webpage - which has evidently…

Full article…

It would be interesting to see a product designed to teach young people that they can communicate with the dead.

Pick a card, and it says:

[LIST]
*]Lost something? Talk with Saint Anthony about it and he will lead you to it.
*]Need help with a school question? Chat with Saint Thomas Aquinas for assistance.
*]Having trouble in your marriage? Communicate with Saint Monica and see what she says.
[/LIST]

Such a product ought to have a warning attached, though: "Those who suffer irrational anxieties about demons coming to oppress them should never seek to get closer to God."

There are two other threads on this same topic in the “Spirituality” forum…not sure where it actually belongs?

[quote="Stylites, post:2, topic:185800"]
It would be interesting to see a product designed to teach young people that they can communicate with the dead.

Such a product ought to have a warning attached, though: "Those who suffer irrational anxieties about demons coming to oppress them should never seek to get closer to God."

[/quote]

There already is...the ouija board.

It's not irrational. Read about the actual real life exorcism that was the inspiration for the movie The Exorcist. That gentleman was possessed, because he dabbled with it. It's no joke. Ask any exorcist priest.

Perhaps rosary beads needs to be banned, since they encourage people to communicate with spirits. Seriously, people don’t get possessed by dabblng with cardboard and plastic, or glass.

Rosary beads are holy. They are praying to a Mary using words from the Bible. The ouija board is asking whatever spirit is around to answer questions or get into contact with the “dead”. This is opening the door to evil.

Do you know what the purpose of a ouija board is? It is to ask the “spiritual” world answers to questions. It is dabbling with divination and spiritualism. It’s very dangerous, because you are asking questions, thinking it may be a human spirit. You are really opening yourself up to evil.

I know a lot of people on here grew up when the Church was all into the “everything can be explained by science period”, but I am quite honest, and I speak from experience when I say that these manifestations of the demonic are very, very real.

Maybe you say this because you’ve never experienced demonic manifestation before…

You don’t want to…I advise you to stay away from it.

There are many people who will tell you that they are evil. One famous exorcist priest who I’ve been privileged to meet says the following about ouija and the occult. Again, ask any exorcist priest or those in spiritual warfare. It’s plain evil. Even people I know will tell me about it. Sadly, some people don’t figure it out until it’s too late.

thebulletin.us/articles/2009/02/03/news/local_state/doc4988101b9f018743172734.txt

God bless you.

You should read ‘The Dangers of Centering Prayer’ in This Rock. A lot of what Fr. Dreher says is applicable here.

Evil spirits do exist (Christ addressed them in the Gospels), and there’s no reason to think that we are any less vulnerable to them now as people were 2000 years ago. Inviting them into our lives through reckless spiritual practices is simply a bad idea, whether through formal pagan rituals or mass-marketed children’s games.

This is nothing at all like saying a rosary

“Nothing at all”? You are most correct, especially when you consider that a person fingering a rosary is seeking answers and help from a spirit, while another person using an ouiji board is watching a piece of plastic move over a piece of cardboard by the use of their fingers.

Supposedly there’s nothing inhibiting an ouiji user to call upon the Blessed Virgin. Hence, whether it’s a rosary or an ouiji board or Kentucky Fried Chickenbones or interpreting signs in the clouds, it’s all in the will of the user, not in the objects being used.

Interesting premise, but none of the people you mentioned are dead, but rather more fully alive than we are.

First, may I refer you to the following article except:

So, rosaries help you keep your place while praying decades. Ouijas are designed to enable divination. (It’s what the letters, numbers, and the hole in the planchette are there for.)

Sure you could use it for something else. I bet it’d make a good paperweight, for example. Possibly a doorstop too. But that’s not what it’s designed for. It was brought into our culture via the Spiritist movement, which is inherently blasphemous, and it is intended to be used for something that is proscribed. So why would anyone purchase one to aid them in good, honest prayer? :confused:

I have to agree with DihydrogenOxide on this. I know from experience. The Ouija board, or spirit board is for real. They are tools to the other side, not just cardboard and plastic. The Devil and evil are real!

It was my very unwise decision to play with this game when I was in college. Depending on where you are “playing” it, you will get different outcomes. Sometimes we would get nothing, sometimes we would get jumbled words or the planchette would barely move, but other times a very intelligent stream of information would come through. The night that we got a spirit that told us his name was Kevil and he was a spirit from Hell just about undid me. He/it spoke of the dead, and God and the planchette moved so fast that someone else had to keep up with the letters being spelled out. At times the planchette would slide off the edge of the board to point at one of us rather than spell out our name. The last time I ever touched one of those boards, it told us that my best friend was going to be attacked in her house by someone in the neighborhood. She was terrified and kept her doors locked. A few months later it happened to me instead. This thing is no joke.

It was seeing (and feeling!) the evil and bad in the world (seen and unseen) to turn me back to the good and Glorious (but this path absolutely left scars). There is so much more to our Faith than what we can see or touch.

So many of us have forgotten that we are just a little speck in the whole Ginormous picture! Just think about it…we are alive, but we are made of molecules and atoms and energy that is living . EVERYTHING is made of energy, and God made EVERYTHING. The Bible says nothing has life without God and since everything is made of energy- EVERYTHING in the entire world is alive, right down to the air that you breathe! Praise God!

150 years ago, a person would have been called crazy for talking about DNA and atoms because you would have been believing in something you couldn’t see. Well, the Bible says that in the end days the veil will be thin between the spirit world and our world and we are seeing now more and more that there is more to existence than just what we can see and touch.

No, it’s not just cardboard and plastic.

Peace.

ouija board are extremly hurtful. When I was sixteen I had a freaky experience with one. I had spent hours talking to a spirit when it asked to enter me. Thats when I freaked out and stoped. I put the board on the floor next to my bed and went to sleep. when i got up i accedentaly steped on it and when I went to lift my foot I felt a hand pushing my foot down harder and harder till it snaped inhalf. I have not used one since. The occult is very real and can lead to very damageing to the soul. Satan will show tou power to lead you away from god and leave you either insane or addicted to drugs or broken beyond help or all three (just look at alister crowly the most influential occultist of the past century).

I just gotta say... PINK!?

As if they such a sacred tool as the Ouija hasn't been dumped down enough... PINK!? :eek:

Chicken bones and clouds were not made specifically to communicate with “spirits”. A ouiji board is. Neither do they come with instructions telling kids how to communicate with “spirits” and ask them the future. A ouiji board is made for spiritism and divining, and is used to call on devils under the name of “spirits”.

A person fingering the Rosary is not divining, they are asking Mary for her intercession with God. They are not trying to know things that only God has a right to know; they are asking for prayers to God, and remembering and honoring the mysteries of Christ’s Incarnation, and the virtues of Mary and Christ. Far from communicating with demons, we are praising Christ and His Mother as the good angels do. Also, we are encouraged in the Bible to pray to God for the things we need and to praise Him; doing so with the Rosary or otherwise is not divining.

The Virgin Mary is not a “spirit”, but has a body as well (She was assumed into Heaven). Also, neither she nor any of the saints would participate in something specifically used for divining and spiritism which are forbidden by God in the Bible and by the Catholic Church. The spirits that kids will contact will be devils.

Intercession of saints is very different than spiritism. We pray for the dead, and they can pray for us, and we ask the saints in Heaven to pray to God for us. People do not ordinarily get (or expect to receive) direct “messages” from Mary or the saints, although we can sometimes see the effects of their prayers to God. We also do not pray to Mary and the saints to tell us the future, as G.K. Chesterton says in the “Ballad of the White Horse”, “The men of the East may spell the stars, / And times and triumphs mark, / But the men signed of the cross of Christ / Go gaily in the dark.” And we pray that whatever happens, God’s Will will be done, trusting in Him to provide for us in the future and to care for our loved ones, living and deceased.

It is horrible that anyone would make a pink ouiji board, enabling and encouraging little girls to unknowingly invoke demons, with packaging that is attractive to them.

You are quite wrong as others have already pointed out, so I won’t go there. I will, however, point you to what the Catholic Church teaches on the matter, and not what YOU think about the matter:

scborromeo.org/ccc/p3s2c1a1.htm#2115
Divination and magic

2115 God can reveal the future to his prophets or to other saints. Still, a sound Christian attitude consists in putting oneself confidently into the hands of Providence for whatever concerns the future, and giving up all unhealthy curiosity about it. Improvidence, however, can constitute a lack of responsibility.

2116 All forms of divination are to be rejected: recourse to Satan or demons, conjuring up the dead or other practices falsely supposed to “unveil” the future.48 Consulting horoscopes, astrology, palm reading, interpretation of omens and lots, the phenomena of clairvoyance, and recourse to mediums all conceal a desire for power over time, history, and, in the last analysis, other human beings, as well as a wish to conciliate hidden powers. They contradict the honor, respect, and loving fear that we owe to God alone.

2117 All practices of magic or sorcery, by which one attempts to tame occult powers, so as to place them at one’s service and have a supernatural power over others - even if this were for the sake of restoring their health - are gravely contrary to the virtue of religion. These practices are even more to be condemned when accompanied by the intention of harming someone, or when they have recourse to the intervention of demons. Wearing charms is also reprehensible. Spiritism often implies divination or magical practices; the Church for her part warns the faithful against it. Recourse to so-called traditional cures does not justify either the invocation of evil powers or the exploitation of another’s credulity.

This is an unhealthy and inaccurate understanding of the Saints. The Saints do not have “powers” to do anything on their own - they only petition God on our behalf for our intentions, according to God’s Will. This is why people think we pray TO saints and think we worship someone other than only God when statements like the above are made. We ask their intersession - but they do not have the ability to directly make changes to the material world.

Praying for them to intercede on our behalf, asking for their prayers, is not the same as asking them to “tell” us things. Saint Anthony is not going to find your keys for you, Saint Monica is not going to tell you to go to counseling. :rolleyes:

~Liza

I agree…the interpretation of how the Saints intercede for us is quite a distortion!
Praying for the Saints to intercede and playing with a Quija Board are two completely different things.:rolleyes:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.