Pirate Party set to form government in Iceland, poll suggests

independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/iceland-pirate-party-form-government-poll-suggests-a7344186.html

**A protest party that campaigns against copyright laws and hangs a skull-and-crossbones flag at its headquarters is on course to form Iceland’s next government.

The Pirate Party, which was formed four years ago by activists, poets and hackers, is currently ahead in the polls in advance of the general election on 29 October.**

The article continues at the link.

Good luck with that. Pirates have been running our government for years, with mixed results. :ehh:

This is the day you will always remember as the day you almost elected Captain Jack Sparrow

Gosh!

The leader of Iceland’s Pirate Party, Birgitta Jonsdottir, wrote an article earlier this year explaining the party’s orientation.

I hope people trust us because we don’t take power seriously and have created a political platform where we work according to the circle of power instead of the pyramid of power. We don’t have leaders, we rotate responsibility and try to select the most qualified person to take on each task. We have a digital voting system where any registered member can put forward a Pirate Party policy to be voting for or against among his Pirate peers.

independent.co.uk/voices/why-we-founded-the-pirate-party-and-what-we-ll-do-if-we-take-power-in-iceland-a6841211.html

:whistle:

Arthur: Please, please, good people, I am in haste! WHO lives in that
castle?
Woman: No one lives there.
Arthur: Then who is your lord?
Woman: We don’t have a lord!
Arthur: (spurised) What??
Man: I told you! We’re an anarcho-syndicalist commune! We’re taking
turns to act as a sort of executive-officer-for-the-week–
Arthur: (uninterested) Yes…
Man: But all the decisions of that officer 'ave to be ratified at a
special bi-weekly meeting–
Arthur: (perturbed) Yes I see!
Man: By a simple majority, in the case of purely internal affairs–
Arthur: (mad) Be quiet!
Man: But by a two-thirds majority, in the case of more major–

intriguing.com/mp/_scripts/peasant.php

Then again, perhaps when Ms. Jonsdottir refers to “his Pirate peers” perhaps she is using the word “peer” not to refer to colleagues, but to refer to nobility. To be a Pirate Lord, wouldn’t that be something? Why, the only thing better would to be a Pirate King, which I hear is a glorious thing. :o

Aaargh!

My country’s President is the worst pirate of them all.

Justice being taken away, then, what are kingdoms but great robberies? For what are robberies themselves, but little kingdoms? The band itself is made up of men; it is ruled by the authority of a prince, it is knit together by the pact of the confederacy; the booty is divided by the law agreed on. If, by the admittance of abandoned men, this evil increases to such a degree that it holds places, fixes abodes, takes possession of cities, and subdues peoples, it assumes the more plainly the name of a kingdom, because the reality is now manifestly conferred on it, not by the removal of covetousness, but by the addition of impunity. Indeed, that was an apt and true reply which was given to Alexander the Great by a pirate who had been seized. For when that king had asked the man what he meant by keeping hostile possession of the sea, he answered with bold pride, What you mean by seizing the whole earth; but because I do it with a petty ship, I am called a robber, while you who does it with a great fleet are styled emperor.

St. Augustine - The City of God

Iceland finds all guilty in banker market-abuse case

icelandmonitor.mbl.is/news/politics_and_society/2016/10/06/iceland_finds_all_guilty_in_banker_market_abuse_cas/

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.