Pius XII plotted against Hitler

Recently in CNA, an article entitled “The astonishing secret history of the Pope who fought Hitler” was published. It said Pius XII became involved in three separate plots by German dissidents to remove Hitler. Isn’t this a sinful act from the Holy Father? Basically, he helped in attempted murder of a man three times. Doesn’t the Church teach you can’t do evil to bring out good afterwards? I’m confused…

From what little you reference, it says “remove,” not kill. You need to link the article. I have never read that Pope Pius XII was involved in an attempt to kill Hitler.

I believe you are correct. There were multiple plots, some of which intended to have Hitler deposed and tried, rather than killed. Erwin Rommel in particular initially opposed the killing of Hitler because of the chance of it sparking a civil war.

See the thread here
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=1034273

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.