Place in household

My friend sent me think link earlier and i just remember about it. I want to post it here and see what you guys have to say?
Is it true? do any of you follow it? What do you think about it?

bibleabookoftruth.com/ShouldWomenHaveAuthorityOverMen.pdf

No offense, but I'm not going to read 1600 words of Protestant foolishness just because someone wants my reaction. What aspect of it do you want feedback on?

You could skim through it.

My friend sent me this and it actually made me wonder what another christian has to think of it. I dont necessarily agree with it, but I wanted to know what peoples thoughts were on this and if they do follow the verses of it. If its too much for you, you don’t have to read it.

Well how about this: most people will say that the Catholic Church doesn't have the authority to confer order on women. I however say that this is the wisest decision the Church has ever made, after the circumcision issue.

thats good. but this was about how the scripture says a man is over the woman but he is to love her as god loves the church. Im not so sure i want to be submissive to any guys though. I like doing my own thing, and im not a bad person so i guess its not an issue either.

And i thought woman couldn’t be priests? that IS basically saying that a woman does not have authority to preach. isn’t that showing that men is over woman?

Exactly.

My friend sent me think link earlier and i just remember about it. I want to post it here and see what you guys have to say?
Is it true? do any of you follow it? What do you think about it?

The general message of the document is correct.

[quote="BlueShadow123, post:5, topic:211574"]
thats good. but this was about how the scripture says a man is over the woman but he is to love her as god loves the church. Im not so sure i want to be submissive to any guys though. I like doing my own thing, and im not a bad person so i guess its not an issue either.

[/quote]

I would suggest that, if it is the right guy, you won't mind being (properly) submissive just as he won't mind placing your needs and desires foremost in his thoughts. Where there is mutual respect, there is no problem.

And i thought woman couldn't be priests? that IS basically saying that a woman does not have authority to preach. isn't that showing that men is over woman?

Where does it say that only priests can preach?? I'd have to say that there are any number of women who would be suprised by that....Mother Angelica for example....:thumbsup:

Peace
James

Aren’t you the person who is going to remain celibate for life? Aren’t you also the person who was shocked that anybody actually followed “the whole bible”. What difference does this make to you? Just curious

[quote="BlueShadow123, post:5, topic:211574"]

And i thought woman couldn't be priests? that IS basically saying that a woman does not have authority to preach. isn't that showing that men is over woman?

[/quote]

How did Jesus love His Church? Perfectly. So much so, that He died for it.

This part of scripture does not mean men are tyrants over their spouses. Husbands are to be the spiritual head, the one who actively leads his wife to salvation.

Look at families around you. Do you notice the families where Dad tries to be holy, to obey the commandments, the rest of the family follows. But what about families where dad has lukewarm faith, how hard is it for mom to get the rest in line?

As for women being priests, it isn't just the "preaching". I'm "preaching" right now. ;) It has to do with context of the Mass, and the Eucharist. Only a man can be ordained to do these functions.

But we Catholics have a long tradition of nuns teaching children and adolescents in Catholic schools. About half are boys. :)

The reason im asking is because its the 21st century and with the whole feminist movement, I wanted to see if people on here actually still follow these traditions. I only know of one family where its like that. And its my friend whose parents are penecostal. The men always have authority in their family. So i wanted to see if catholics followed this too. I’m not actually catholic, im a christian. Meaning, i only believe what the bible says -nothing taken away or added. My dads family is all catholic to heart and i was baptised catholic but that doesn’t mean i practice all the catholic views.

Second off, i never said i would remain celibate for life. I said that my FOCUS is not on marriage, it is about accomplishing things that i want to do before i die. If marriage comes along, fine, but that is NOT my focus. I am not going to live my life with my only focus being getting married and starting a family. There are things i want to do, accomplish, see and go to before i die, and that is what im going to do. If a man comes along, thats one thing but it is NOT my focus. Do you understand what I’m saying?

So what about the nuns who taught boys in Catholic school? Was that unbiblical?

[quote="Norseman82, post:12, topic:211574"]
So what about the nuns who taught boys in Catholic school? Was that unbiblical?

[/quote]

Im talking about in a church. Why cant woman be priests?

That also has nothing to do with my original post.

[quote="BlueShadow123, post:13, topic:211574"]
Im talking about in a church. Why cant woman be priests?

That also has nothing to do with my original post.

[/quote]

And it's off topic. I'll just answer it and you can go back to your topic, knowing you've been answered.

Women can't be priests because the Catholic Church has no authority to ordain women.

No authority. They can't do it. Just like you can't pick up a doughnut and milk and confect a valid Eucharist (because hey, it's much more kid friendly that just 'flour and water' wheat bread and - (gasp!) WINE.) You just can't. The Eucharist has to be bread and wine. And priests have to be male. Heaven knows that milk is just as 'good' (in and of itself) as wine. Donuts, or even 'pizza', are just as 'good' in and of themselves as plain wheat unleavened bread. It's not a question of whether the elements aren't 'good', it's that they aren't and cannot be a true Eucharist. God gave priests the authority to confect bread and wine, and that and only that make a valid Eucharist. He could have chosen hundreds of other things that are equally 'worthy or valid' foods but He did not. That doesn't mean that donuts, pizza, rice. . .or milk, grape juice, or soda --aren't AS GOOD as bread and wine AS FOOD STUFFs. They are.

Likewise just because God gave authority only to ordain men as priests doesn't mean women aren't as VALUABLE as men. It doesn't mean women aren't as capable or important.

Ultimately, God's authority trumps any simply human (and fallible) ideas of what 'should be'. God has chosen --our part is either to obey or to dissent.

I'll choose to obey.

[quote="Apollos, post:2, topic:211574"]
No offense, but I'm not going to read 1600 words of Protestant foolishness just because someone wants my reaction. What aspect of it do you want feedback on?

[/quote]

Protestant foolishness....which is so much worse than Catholic silliness. :D 1,600 words, below average reading speed for an American adult (just giving you the benefit of the doubt as to the time wasted) is about 200 wpm.....yeah....good thing you saved that 8 minutes.

I read it, it took a good less than 8 minutes, but it was a waste of time. The piece speaks in favor of an all-male clergy, but it is not well-written nor is it good scholarship.

Your point that it is rash to conclude that “Protestant” and “foolish” are synonymous is well-taken. It is hardly fair to conclude that this mess should reflect on all writing by Protestants, or that a Protestant couldn’t write something of far more than 1600 words that would be worth re-reading many times over. Heaven forbid that the Catholic Church be judged by some of the things put out there as “scholarly” or “Biblical” expositions of what we believe!! :eek:

That does not answer my post. its not even about women in the church its about the household. Do people STILL go by those rules that the men is the 'authority' over the woman in the household. Basically, to all the WIVES on here, do you submit to your husband?

On some things, yes I submit to him. And he does the same in other areas of our marriage. We are a balancing act, a partnership. I recognize my weaknesses and he recognizes his and I know when to let him lead and vice versa. But we always have the better good in mind for each other, and for our marriage. Our marriage is much more important than either of our individual needs and we submit our needs for the better of the marriage when we need to.

[quote="BlueShadow123, post:11, topic:211574"]
The reason im asking is because its the 21st century and with the whole feminist movement, I wanted to see if people on here actually still follow these traditions. I only know of one family where its like that. And its my friend whose parents are penecostal. The men always have authority in their family. So i wanted to see if catholics followed this too. I'm not actually catholic, im a christian. Meaning, i only believe what the bible says -nothing taken away or added. My dads family is all catholic to heart and i was baptised catholic but that doesn't mean i practice all the catholic views.

Second off, i never said i would remain celibate for life. I said that my FOCUS is not on marriage, it is about accomplishing things that i want to do before i die. If marriage comes along, fine, but that is NOT my focus. I am not going to live my life with my only focus being getting married and starting a family. There are things i want to do, accomplish, see and go to before i die, and that is what im going to do. If a man comes along, thats one thing but it is NOT my focus. Do you understand what I'm saying?

[/quote]

Yep

[quote="PatriceA, post:18, topic:211574"]
On some things, yes I submit to him. And he does the same in other areas of our marriage. We are a balancing act, a partnership. I recognize my weaknesses and he recognizes his and I know when to let him lead and vice versa. But we always have the better good in mind for each other, and for our marriage. Our marriage is much more important than either of our individual needs and we submit our needs for the better of the marriage when we need to.

[/quote]

Glad to hear.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.