Planet X and the Sumerians

I have a good friend, I’ve known him since the second grade. We were both raised as Catholics. I have kept my Faith, whereas, he has fallen away from the Catholic Church and is constantly talking to me about "Planet X " and a Dr. Sitchin and the Sumerians.
(Do a Google search and look for this Planet X and read the story).

My friend is a very intelligent person, he teaches at the local college, and is completely absorbed into this Planet X stuff.
He says the Bible supports this theory when it talks about the “gods” and the giants that is talked about in Genesis.

How may I combat this Planet X theory and, at the same time, show him what he lost when he left the Catholic Church?

Thanks and May God Bless you!
Cliff

[quote=cliffurbanasjr]I have a good friend, I’ve known him since the second grade. We were both raised as Catholics. I have kept my Faith, whereas, he has fallen away from the Catholic Church and is constantly talking to me about "Planet X " and a Dr. Sitchin and the Sumerians.

My friend is a very intelligent person, he teaches at the local college, and is completely absorbed into this Planet X stuff.
He says the Bible supports this theory when it talks about the “gods” and the giants that is talked about in Genesis.

How may I combat this Planet X theory and, at the same time, show him what he lost when he left the Catholic Church?

Cliff
[/quote]

Your friend has abandoned logic – the Planet X theory violates Occam’s Razor (“don’t unnecessarly invent things to explain theories”)

It is not likely that any logical approach will work – when you confront the true believe with logic, he is usually perfectly capable of makeing up things to explain your comments.

Be a friend, and set a Christian example – and pray for him.

I’d heard about the Planet X stuff a while back, interesting stuff for a read, but pure speculation, so there’s no ‘evidence’ against such a thing.

Its a religion on its own really…

Bless All
Christ be with you !

The Trilogy writen by Zecariah Sitchin is interesting, however ,Planet X , the so called 12th Planet, has yet to be found, but, we have found Christ, and his words are far greater than any theory regarding the creation of man, because what ever happened before ends with Christ.
This interest your friend has is good because he may be on a mission from GOD so that he can discover the real truth .This fire burning in him now will only end up bringing him to a crossroad of truth or lies, either way he will choose because there is no in the middle with GOD . It sometimes confuses me at what extent some will go, to avoid the simple solution of salvation , confess your sins, and seek Christ. It really is that simple, but it is very diffulcult for those whom wish to hold on to sin . Those who have sinned greatly, and turned to him ,did so out of pure faith for good over evil, and based upon their expirience chose good .
I would guess you friend is looking for any thing but God because he loves the sins he still comits and dosn’t want to let go.

[quote=cliffurbanasjr]I have a good friend, I’ve known him since the second grade. We were both raised as Catholics. I have kept my Faith, whereas, he has fallen away from the Catholic Church and is constantly talking to me about "Planet X " and a Dr. Sitchin and the Sumerians.

Cliff
[/quote]

Bad Astronomy has good stuff on it.

The idea of Planet X is not so far-fetched. There could be some very large objects orbiting in the Oort Cloud, which is a region beyond Pluto, or even beyond, as you can read here.

It would seem that your friend is looking for a natural explanation for belief in the deities, and to suggest that the first ‘gods’ were actually advanced beings who visited the earth and caused havoc is – though unproven – still within the realm of a Darwinian universe.

I would suggest combatting your friends apparent materialism first. Then the alien-stuff might fall by the wayside.

Ahimsa sez,“The idea of Planet X is not so far-fetched. There could be some very large objects orbiting in the Oort Cloud, which is a region beyond Pluto, or even beyond, as you can read here.”

STOP. THINK. If there was a planet in orbit around our sun thaat was farther away from the sun than Pluto…what would the temperature on the surface be? Dude, iit would be so cold thaat life could NOT be supported there…Wake Up.

Your obtuse friend is teaching? - he is dangerous - keep him away from young minds. There always are a few real nut-cases who spew that stuff to gain attention.

[quote=Exporter]STOP. THINK.
[/quote]

You ask too much of some people.

Adam

[quote=Exporter]Ahimsa sez,“The idea of Planet X is not so far-fetched. There could be some very large objects orbiting in the Oort Cloud, which is a region beyond Pluto, or even beyond, as you can read here.”

STOP. THINK. If there was a planet in orbit around our sun thaat was farther away from the sun than Pluto…what would the temperature on the surface be? Dude, iit would be so cold thaat life could NOT be supported there…Wake Up.

[/quote]

You’re assuming that the only way Planet X could hold life is if that life actually evolved from scratch on Planet X. Another possibility is that life-forms, from another star system, with some really good thermal underwear, colonized Planet X at some time in the past, and then decided to explore other planets of the solar system (including earth). But all joking aside, I don’t see any problem with an advanced alien life form solving the problem of setting up bases on a really, really cold planet. I’m sure chimpanzees might wonder how anyone could colonize Antarctica. :wink:

cliffurbanasjr…Try visiting www.michaelsheiser.com

If you go to this site, you’ll find Dr. Heiser’s critique of Sitchin’s work. Dr. Michael Heiser wrote the novel, “The Facade” which is most probably right up your friend’s alley. (I disovered all this through Jimmy Akin’s blog recommendation.)

God Bless You.

I Serve

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.