Planets and Life

I just got news on my cell phone that says “Newly discovered network of planets could harbor water and life, scientists say.”

If true, will that contradict the Bible, Christianity and Catholicism in particular?

We’ll see what happens when we get there. The bigger thing would be rational, intelligent life, but the Church has expressed openness to the idea. That doesn’t mean it won’t create some head scratching on what the Church’s approach should be, but so far the answer from the Church is that “no, it would not contradict our faith”.

Hi, Faith!

…the problem is that most of that is speculation…

…this has been done for tons of years…

…the more ardent anti-God that postulates are the greater the argument for “life” or “intelligent life” existing on other planets…

…just a few days ago I looked at one of those claims on the net; the proposed claim was a planet that had to have life… on further analysis… not!

…what really strikes as futility is our ability to yearn for facts about that which cannot be of use to us (we have no means to travel the great distances to such claims) while we continue to destroy and hate our own planet and the creatures within.

…in the last few decades the US has spent over 60 billion dollars in the effort to abort human children in Africa… could you imagine how much that money could have accomplished in the improvement of food production, tech advances, housing, health, education, and green-earth tech for the African continent (and by extension the world at large)?

…so we continue to spend billions of dollars chasing the “not Created” Universe… only to ignore the wonders and the beauty and the benefits of investing in the world’s resources and to enhanced worldwide cohabitation.

…would it be wonderfully shocking if one day we would wake up a sleeping et that would come and consume our planet as the various sci-fi scenarios: “…to serve man?”

Maran atha!

Angel

No, why would it?

Are you talking to me?

Hi, Paul!

…we would be getting gratification… as with that drug high… yes it will destroy us… but, heck, what a ride! :tanning::tanning::tanning:

…you must know I was being sarcastic!

Maran atha!

Angel

How would it, (if it turned out to be true) contradict the faith?

It’s not a theological issue.

catholic.com/qa/whats-the-catholic-position-on-the-existence-of-extra-terrestrial-life

Just making sure…

No problem, but let me ask you a question:

What kind of faith do you hold, or would you still hold to the faith if someone told you it was all bogus?
Are you strong enough to say, NO, Christ is my Lord and Savior, He comes to me in Eucharist and the Catholic Church has the appropriate interpretations of Scripture, so I’m a believer.

You don’t have to answer me, of course. But it’s something to think about.
If the answer is “I’m not sure”, spend more time studying the truth of the faith, your catechism, and in Adoration. Tend to your soul, cultivate a good strong prayer life, and develop an enduring Love of the Lord,so that all will turn out great on the last day for you.

God bless you.

My “why would it?” was in response to your original question:

If true, will that contradict the Bible, Christianity and Catholicism in particular?

Yeah I saw that. I think it would be cool to be the first Catholics on a new planet. :thumbsup:

Would it contradict anything? How so? The church doesn’t teach that there is no life on other planets and I have always thought we are silly to stand out under a starlit sky and assume we are all alone…that God made all just for our visual enjoyment. That doesn’t sound like God to me…:shrug:

If anyone wants an interesting perspective on life on other worlds from a Christian (and near Catholic) perspective I recommend C.S. Lewis’s space trilogy.
The Space Trilogy (Out of the Silent Planet, Perelandra, That Hideous Strength) by C.S. Lewis

I don’t know, I’m just making sure.

No. Why would it?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.