Planned Parenthood to close Scranton location

SCRANTON — Planned Parenthood is closing its Scranton medical center on Penn Avenue, the organization announced.

Melissa Reed, president and chief executive officer of Planned Parenthood Keystone, confirmed the facility will shut down in a statement today. The closure is effective Dec. 1.

The organization made the “difficult strategic decision” to consolidate health services and close the Scranton center “after careful analysis of where our patients live and seek medical care as well as an assessment of how best to ensure the longevity and strength of existing medical centers,” she said.

m.citizensvoice.com/news/planned-parenthood-to-close-scranton-location-1.2115629

This is good. Thankfully now that Donald Trump has been elected President we can hope that Planned Parenthood will be defunded and so they will be forced to close many more locations.

Based on what I read here this is terrible news because, as I understand it, if we would have elected the candidate with the most liberal abortion policy in history–including tax payer funded abortion and more money for Planned Parenthood – it would have lead to less abortions. So shouldn’t we be hoping for more PP locations to open? :shrug:

Glory be to God! :harp:

Praise The Lord.

May a life-affirming health center take its place.

Thank you. This idea has been niggling at the back of my mind for some time. Anyone have figures etc on the ratio of contraceptives/abortions?

Given that those with no basic sexual morality are not going to stop having sex? And that they are maybe the ones who will choose abortion?

As I understand it, it’s contraception that leds to abortion. Roe v. Wade will not be overturned as long as contraception is legal.

There was a post on Facebook in a group for a local town in my area asking for people to donate to Planned Parenthood. Needless to say, I told them that Planned Parenthood would never get a single penny from me because they murder children in the womb.

Planned parenthood was FOUNDED by a racist. She hated blacks, the poor and the disabled. Their sex ed is filthy. We want them CLOSED.

You have been misled.
Providing more free access to abortion does not lead to less abortion.

When such clinics close does another entity pick up on the non-abortion related services they provide for the less priviledged (ex:std screenings, prenatal care)?

I do not know, but I do know that some crisis pregnancy centers are starting to gain the necessary resources to offer those same services, often at a very reduced price, or even for free. One I know of now partners with full-blown gynecological services, and has partnered with two other pregnancy centers under the same model.

That’s good. Would be good to see such services available broadly.

Just how much non-abortion service did they provide?

I know their main cash flow is death. I doubt there is much else they did that cannot be readily picked up elsewhere.

fqhc.org/find-an-fqhc/

Another alternative to pp.

How much non-abortive services they offer is a hard question to ask looking at the numbers. Most of their revenue does appear to come from abotion. If you look at a break down of the procedures then it is said to account for 3% of their procedures.

To use a metaphor if I had a jewelry store that sold a range of items from toy jewelry to gold, platinum, and diamonds more of my money would come from the sale of the jewelry made with the rare substances. But more of the transactions may be from the less expensive items.

Note that one visit may involve more than one procedure. If a person has an std check done and needs medication then the check and the dispensing of the medication is two procedures.

They do pap smears, breast exams, std/HIV test, and have an outreach program targeted at younger people. Some of these services may be provided to those in proberty and paid for by public funds. I don’t know of what the distribution of other places that could provide the services is like in the areas where PP clinics reside.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.