Planned Parenthood under investigation by Justice Department over sale of fetal tissue

The Justice Department has launched a federal investigation into Planned Parenthood’s practices and the sale of fetal tissue.

In a letter first obtained by Fox News, Justice Department Assistant Attorney General for Legislative Affairs Stephen Boyd formally requested unredacted documents from the Senate Judiciary Committee, the same panel that led the congressional probe into the women’s health organization.

“The Department of Justice appreciates the offer of assistance in obtaining these materials, and would like to request the Committee provide unredacted copies of records contained in the report, in order to further the Department’s ability to conduct a thorough and comprehensive assessment of that report based on the full range of information available,” Boyd wrote.

I’m delighted at this. The middle men were making big bucks in this and I suspect it was trickling back to PP leadership in some fashion.

Hahaha investigate away, and good luck finding anything.

Yes the Justice department is turning in to a right wing hit squad.

I don’t think the Justice department starts investigatons on a whim. There must have been enough there for them to believe an investigation is warranted. Doesn’t look good for Planned Parenthood.

What other examples are you thinking of?

You mean like Eric and Loretta turned it into a leftist hit squad?

It’ll be tough. The parts are gone, and the money probably well laundered

The money is readily traced, that’s where any revelations will arise. I expect PP was getting additional kickbacks over the already exorbitant shipping and handling charges they charged to provide them.

One can only hope you are right.

I think this is good. I’d like to see all research using fetal tissue stop. They can start w/ the National Institute of health who spends millions on fetal tissue.

The National Institutes of Health spent $76 million on research using fetal tissue in 2014 with grants to more than 50 universities, including Columbia, Harvard, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Stanford, Yale and the University of California in Berkeley, Irvine, Los Angeles, San Diego and San Francisco. It expects to spend the same amount in 2015 and 2016.

From the article:
**Scientists at major universities and government labs have quietly been using fetal tissue for decades. They say it is an invaluable tool for certain types of research, including the study of eye diseases, diabetes and muscular dystrophy. **

Let’s keep in mind that among these are the same people who criticize the use of animals in research.
Astonishing. Kill babies for research, but not animals

One really wonders about the need to use fetal tissues by scientists. Is it a “need” or merely a “convenience” for them?

That’s what people said before the wave of state investigations that found zilch.

Per Wikipedia, two of the states where Center for Medical Progress did the stings, California and Colorado, those states refused investigations into Planned Parenthood after the release of the videos. I’m not sure if there were any other states where other stings took place in that refused investigations into Planned Parenthood. Hopefully now the DOJ is investigating, they will be able to investigate the states that refused to investigate after the release of the Center for Medical Progress videos.

They’ll find zilch just like the congressional investigation did.

What investigation do you mean? Per The Federalist:

The videos prompted an investigation by the House Oversight Committee, which found, among other things, that PP did not need federal funding. Following that, the Senate Judiciary investigated PP and issued a report, “Human Fetal Tissue Research: Context and Controversy” published last December. Its summary says, “The activities of those involved, in the fetal tissue transfer industry potentially implicate a number of federal laws.”
Following that, committee Chairman Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa) told the FBI it should investigate PP: “The report documents the failure of the Department of Justice, across multiple administrations, to enforce the law that bans the buying and selling of human fetal tissue. It also documents substantial evidence suggesting that the specific entities involved in the recent controversy, and/or individuals employed by those entities, may have violated that law.”

Considering those findings, further investigation is more than warranted

You’ve quoted basic politspeak. “Potential”, “evidence suggesting”, “may have violated”. There’s a reason why all the state investigations came up empty: no laws were broken.

There were no investigations in at least two key states where Center for Medical Progress videos stings were filmed. I don’t think the DOJ chooses to pursue an investigation if they don’t feel there is sufficient reason too. They are moving ahead with an investigation, I hope they can pursue it thoroughly, leaving no stone unturned.

I think some Dem controlled states conducted some ‘whitewash’ investigations, for PR purposes.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit