Planned Parenthood's Birth Control Myth

Planned Parenthood claims women get more abortions if they don’t have access to contraception—though research suggests otherwise. Kirsten Powers reports.

During the recent debate over whether to cut off government funding to Planned Parenthood, the organization claimed that its contraceptive services prevent a half-million abortions a year. Without their services, the group’s officials insist, more women will get abortions.

thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2011-03-04/planned-parenthoods-birth-control-myth/full/

news.yahoo.com/s/dailybeast/20110304/ts_dailybeast/12728_plannedparenthoodsbirthcontrolmyth

Moreover, their statistics are based on wrong definition of abortion. You see all contraceptive methods of today are more like an emergency pill: abortifacients, as they remove the opportunity of the developing human to survive. Hence, contraception promotes abortion and the psychology of abhorrence to being a true woman: giving birth.

This may not be the place for this, but. As someone who has struggled with infertility for several years, I hope there are other ways to be a true woman besides giving birth, since it does not seem to be God’s will for me.

There is nothing “wrong” with a woman who suffers from infertility. But there is something very wrong with the contraceptive mentality, pursuant to which a woman crushes out all motherly love and instinct.

OP,
the yahoo link you posted is clearly an Opinion piece, not a “news” article. Further, as reported also elsewhere, including even in one of your favorite news “sources” – Life News–the following fact is reported:

In fact, 54 percent of women who had abortions had used a contraceptive method, if incorrectly, in the month they got pregnant

[bolding mine]
Key phrase: if incorrectly.

Yes, I can claim I roasted a turkey, if incorrectly, at 200 degrees, for the same number of hours as someone else’s turkey was roasted – someone else who used the correct temperature. :rolleyes: The results of the correct method vs. the incorrect method will be drastically different. Correct procedure yields different results than incorrect procedure.

And not just “if incorrectly,” but “the month they got pregnant.” So maybe they used barrier methods for all days except their fertile days; maybe they started & stopped their use of the pill within the same month, etc., etc.

Yes. The fullness of your life as a woman is found in the gift of love for your spouse and others.

I read this piece this morning, I was shocked at how she finishes it;

“Planned Parenthood officials are allowed to believe whatever they want and to pursue whatever goals they choose. But their dishonesty in how they present their organization to the public, along with ignoring basic statistics about their area of expertise, makes you wonder what else they are hiding. It’s also hard to deny that they are at core a blindly ideological organization, not a run-of-the-mill charitable nonprofit.
Whatever you think of abortion rights, this is not the kind of organization that taxpayers should be funding.”

Kristin Powers is a big time liberal, for her to say that is shocking, they don’t turn on pro-abortion groups like that, there’s like a unwritten code against it. Good for her, she has a lot of guts writing that.

Indeed. And additionally, as Johnette Benkovic, host of EWTN’s Women of Grace, is fond of saying: the spiritual motherhood to which all of us women are called, and which can bear much fruit.
:flowers:

I actually just started watching the Women of Grace program on EWTN and have really enjoyed the one episode I have seen. I do think some of the grace of being a woman does lie in being a spiritual mother, to my husband and friends and to those around me. Perhaps someday I can adopt, but in the meantime I try to offer that nurturing spirit to everyone else.

Anyway, I am not trying to derail the thread. I do think that contraception is not, as many women seem to think, a form of freedom. I don’t think that women’s equality means that women should behave as men, but that we should be free to rejoice in our femininity as God has granted it. I catch a lot of flak on this. I think we are, as different sexes, to complement one another rather than to strive to be exactly the same in all areas. ABC – and yes, I used it for years in my first marriage, because my husband was not at all open to the possibility of life – tends to lead, in my experience, to a quashing of that feminine instinct.

I ramble about this because it rattles around in my head a lot and I don’t have good words yet for what I think. Please forgive the inchoate thoughts.

I read the piece. It is not a news piece, but an opinion piece. I don’t know about her being “a big-time liberal,” if that’s even true, let alone relevant here to the actual facts.

The following research article, using valid statistical methods, explains why one sometimes sees a correlation (not a causation, a correlation) between contraception and abortion, even outside the U.S. I will quote the concluding paragraph, and the methodology and differentiations can be read in the rest of the technical article which precedes this concluding paragraph:

CONCLUSION
Empirical study of the aggregate relationships between contraceptive use and induced abortion has to be limited to the few countries where reasonably reliable information exists on both. Despite this severe limitation, our review of the evidence provides ample illustration of the interaction between these factors. When fertility levels in a population are changing, the relationship between contraceptive use and abortion may take a variety of forms, frequently involving a simultaneous increase in both. When other factors—such as fertility—are held constant, however, a rise in contraceptive use or effectiveness invariably leads to a decline in induced abortion—and vice versa.

from Relationships between Contraception and Abortion: A Review of the Evidence
guttmacher.org/pubs/journals/2900603.html

In this country, the most negative correlations occur first between married sex and induced abortion, secondly between correct contraception use and induced abortion. The most positive correlations occur between unmarried sex (in general) and abortion.

But the biggest hurdle is that the largest absolute number of abortions do occur among non-Catholics + non-practicing Catholics together. They do not share the Catholic belief and orientation regarding contraception (in and out of marriage). Therefore, to hope to use any contraception-connection argument as a basis for serious abortion reduction nationally, is not a winning strategy.

The following research article, using valid statistical methods, explains why one sometimes sees a correlation (not a causation, a correlation) between contraception and abortion, even outside the U.S. I will quote the concluding paragraph, and the methodology and differentiations can be read in the rest of the technical article which precedes this concluding paragraph:

[quote]CONCLUSION
Empirical study of the aggregate relationships between contraceptive use and induced abortion has to be limited to the few countries where reasonably reliable information exists on both. Despite this severe limitation, our review of the evidence provides ample illustration of the interaction between these factors. When fertility levels in a population are changing, the relationship between contraceptive use and abortion may take a variety of forms, frequently involving a simultaneous increase in both. When other factors—such as fertility—are held constant, however, a rise in contraceptive use or effectiveness invariably leads to a decline in induced abortion—and vice versa.

from Relationships between Contraception and Abortion: A Review of the Evidence
guttmacher.org/pubs/journals/2900603.html
[/quote]

LifeNews is a good news website.

‘Planned Parenthood’s Birth Control Myth’ is posted on Yahoo news.

The pill and other birth control methods have failure rates. If you use birth control habitually, for most women it will fail at some point. Edward C Green of the Harvard AIDS Institute says that people stop using contraception when they know the person. People do not always use birth control correctly. Condoms can generate a false sense of security. Birth control promotion will never eliminate ‘‘unplanned’’ or ‘‘unwanted’’ pregnancies.

There are multiple studies showing the promotion of sex education and contraception did not improve use of contraceptives, and it did not reduce teenage pregnancy, STDs, abortion or the delaying of sex:

bmj.com/content/334/7585/133.full
telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1456789/Teen-pregnancies-increase-after-sex-education-classes.html
tiny.cc/49np5
kinseyinstitute.org/publications/PDF/STDSep2002.pdf
telegraph.co.uk/health/8291468/Morning-after-pill-handout-causes-rise-in-teenage-sexual-disease-study-finds.html

I think she wants to be a mod, it seems like 25% of hers posts here are; “this is not a ‘news’ article”.

geesh Relax

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.