Planning a Catholic wedding? read this

on Matt Abbott’s blog, renewamerica
from a pastor’s column in a parish bulletin
renewamerica.com/columns/abbott/091101

I am sure every pastor headed into the height of wedding season could have written this

Fantabulous article.

In my darker moments I think there is an inverse correlation between the cost/complicatedness of the wedding and length of the marriage.

Brilliant. Reminded me of this I saw last year

xtranormal.com/watch/7330137/wedding-consultation

Excellent!! I give it 4 out of 5 LOLs :slight_smile:

Indeed.

He is risen; ICXC NIKA

Perhaps he could write one about the increasing extravagance of the newly ordained’s 1st Masses and receptions that more resemble coronations than celebrations of a sacrament.

I’m not discounting what you are saying

but I KNOW that it isn’t even close to equivalent, nor has the devastating effects on the priesthood as a huge wedding ordeal does on a marriage. Seminarians spend about 6 years in formation an full time school. Couples spend a half a weekend of something that isn’t even monitored well, and many are driven by the financial and emotional investment of the day.

That is pretty funny, haha.

Depends on your point of view…

nor has the devastating effects on the priesthood as a huge wedding ordeal does on a marriage.

Once again, depends on your point of view…

Seminarians spend about 6 years in formation an full time school. Couples spend a half a weekend of something that isn’t even monitored well, and many are driven by the financial and emotional investment of the day.

People are essentially preparing their entire life to get married.

This article is both utterly hilarious and extremely sad, as the scenario presented is so often true.

Not really.

While I have no experience with seminary, ISTM that all the effort undergone there has priesthood in view. I wouldn’t say that all of the foolishness undergone by young people is a preparation for marriage.

He is risen, ICXC NIKA

You’ve got that right I have seen what you are talking about first hand.

People are essentially preparing their entire life to get married.

I understand what you are saying, Padre, but would you not agree that God prepares us all our lives for our vocation, whatever it may be? Yes, the Sacraments are different, and the graces God gives us are different, but I would still say God prepares us our whole life for them, no? I think it all depends on what is in people’s hearts, no?

Not really. I don’t know many people who have actually been working their life with the vocation in mind. I know a few, but not many.

and, really, its not about point of view. I know for a fact that most, if not all the guys in the seminary wouldn’t endure 6 years of school for their one “big day”. and if their ordanation was a private affair, they would still do it joyfully.

Actually, the foolishness is part of the prepartion. Maybe not intentionally so, but foolishness often leads to life lessons…

I’ve heard of very few people under 30 who don’t want to be married at some point. And that’s here in the liberal blue state north east.

and, really, its not about point of view. I know for a fact that most, if not all the guys in the seminary wouldn’t endure 6 years of school for their one “big day”. and if their ordanation was a private affair, they would still do it joyfully.

Sorry, but it is indeed about point of view. Apparently you think the majority of people looking to get married are full of original sin yet men studying to be priests are rarely affected by it. Original sin is everywhere and the issues with marriages have become issues with first Masses. Bishops have even begun to send warnings to those about to be ordianed that “coronation” 1st Masses will be viewed unfavorably.

That is not what I said and you know it.

just because people want to be married at some point does not mean they are preparing for it. Adults in their 20s today are living as adolescents at their parents house… working enough to go out, pay bills, if that, and running up credit card debt. They are not preparing spiritually or financially for their future marriage. They are not in formation. Thinking about wanting to be married is NOT preparation for marriage.

This is of course, a general statement, and does not include everyone. I, for one, as well as a few of my practicing Catholic friends, are preparing ourselves to live out a sacrament. but most people are not.

Funny article, but so true in many regards.

That’s how I took what you said.

just because people want to be married at some point does not mean they are preparing for it.

Unless they’re not dating and having friendships then they are indeed preparing to be married. People date to discover how to be in a relationship with another. They have friends to learn healthy dynamics. These aren’t necessarily stated purposes, but those are the underlying purposes and lessons nonetheless.

Adults in their 20s today are living as adolescents at their parents house… working enough to go out, pay bills, if that, and running up credit card debt. They are not preparing spiritually or financially for their future marriage. They are not in formation. Thinking about wanting to be married is NOT preparation for marriage.

LOL, yes, every generation is accused of being lazy, immature, and irresponsible. Nothing new under the sun here. Yet somehow some way, centuries of people have managed to marry and settle down.

This is of course, a general statement, and does not include everyone. I, for one, as well as a few of my practicing Catholic friends, are preparing ourselves to live out a sacrament. but most people are not.

Most are not? I think that’s a rather presumptive and judgmental statement. I can say that most people I’ve married were coming forward to receive a sacrament. Were many of them caught up in the details? Yup, but that’s the times we live in. And as I said, its also a trap that many newly ordained fall into. Human beings will be human beings.

The original priest’s letter was humorous but it was, as most humor is, an exaggeration.

I’m wondering if it’s more the mothers or other family of the priests rather than the priests, themselves, wanting/encouraging/influencing the extravagant receptions. That’s not to say there are probably some priests who are just as into it as their mothers as I’ve worked with some bridal couples where the groom pretty much took over the planning, but I don’t know many men who are into that kind of thing.

In regards to extravagant 1st masses, I think that would be the place to give the best possible. I don’t see any problem with beautiful masses.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.