Planning on leaving Catholicism after debate.

I got into a debate with Protestants and I was defending the Catholic faith on infant baptism , Mary etc. And they proved the catholic church is not biblical and it's dead which is what they said and I listened to it. I'm confused and i don't know what to believe. Is the catholic church really a bible based church, if so how? God bless

[quote="MaroniteRosary, post:1, topic:277330"]
I got into a debate with Protestants and I was defending the Catholic faith on infant baptism , Mary etc. And they proved the catholic church is not biblical and it's dead which is what they said and I listened to it. I'm confused and i don't know what to believe. Is the catholic church really a bible based church, if so how? God bless

[/quote]

Yes, the Catholic Church is the most Bible based out there, and for good reason - the Bible is a Catholic book.

NOBODY, Protestant OR Catholic should leave their faith after a debate, but only after prayer and personal study. A big leap like that takes CAREFUL consideration.

Any of the arguments they presented to you can be easily refuted. Just stay calm. :thumbsup:

Protestant arguments are easy to knock down if you know how! :cool:

The Catholic Church is the Church founded by Christ. The whole concept of "bible based church" has always confused me. The New Testament is made up of writings of early Christians--letters, accounts of their lives. The early Church wasn't a Bible based church! The Bible as we know it didn't even exist until much later!

That said, Sacred Scripture and Sacred Tradition are the foundations of the Catholic Church.

The protestants in the debate didn't "prove" anything. They were likely just better debaters. :o

There was no such thing as a Protestant in the time of Jesus or in the time that the Church was deciding which books would make up the Bible.

Matthew 19:14

Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.”

We know that being baptized in the name of The Father, The Son and The Holy Spirit, cleanses us from original sin. What parent would not want this for their child? Parents are responsible for their children, to protect and guide them.

Matthew 28:19
Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,

[/quote]

Here are some references that may be of help based on the statements you made in your original post.

amazon.com/If-Protestantism-True-Reformation-Meets/dp/0615445306/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331854198&sr=8-1

amazon.com/Signs-Life-Catholic-Customs-Biblical/dp/0385519494/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1331854261&sr=1-3

amazon.com/Mary-Fathers-Church-Blessed-Patristic/dp/0898706866/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1331854524&sr=1-1

amazon.com/Four-Witnesses-Early-Church-Words/dp/0898708478/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1331854701&sr=1-1-spell

amazon.com/Fathers-Know-Best-Jimmy-Akin/dp/1933919345/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b

I'd get these books and read them before you make any decisions. In my humble experience, arguments based on the Church Fathers are always effective. Its hard for people to claim Catholics are making things up when people have believed them since the 1st century! ;)

Also Catholic answers store has some wonderful CD sets, books,etc. that you might take a look at. Tim Staples' "Sword of the Spirit" is excellent.

Also, I would humbly suggest that in the future you wait until your faith is rock solid before engaging in any sort of debates. I would strongly encourage you to work with an experienced spiritual director before committing to anything of the sort.

Peace of Christ,

Start here: The Mass - A Biblical Prayer

And they proved the catholic church is not biblical and it's dead which is what they said and I listened to it.

[/quote]

Fear not: I guarantee you, they "proved" no such thing.

"Worse" case an argument of partial truths was made, cause, well that's the "best" that's out there.

Put forth their "proofs" here and watch then be refuted.

Chuck

Thank you all for you have helped me! God bless!

[quote="MaroniteRosary, post:9, topic:277330"]

[/quote]

You are very welcome.

:)

The Bible is Catholic based. The Bishops of the Catholic Church decided on what books should be in the Bible. The Protestant notion of Bible based is wrong headed and only leads to division.

Peace
David

Two of the best books to read in order to be able to defend the teachings of the Church.

Catholicism and Fundamentalism by Karl Keating and The Essential Catholic Survival Guide both published by Catholic Answers.

You can also go to the Catholic Answers Web page and enter topics in the search engine and you will find all of the answers you want.

[/quote]

The Bible is developed from the Catholic Church...the men who wrote the New Testament were Catholic men!...the Old Testament was canonized by the Catholic Church....the New Testament too!...The canon of Scripture came from the minds of Catholic Bishops...they determined based on faith...we believe based on faith in Christ and in His Church, The Holy Catholic Church!

We hold these truths!...We hold the Faith!...if anyone come and preach a different gospel...never accept it!...this is what is taught in Sacred Scripture...and this is what happened at the Protestant Reformation. I'll take my faith in the Church over any man's claims!

proved the catholic church is not biblical and it's dead

[/quote]

OK, Did you know that Protestantism was founded in the early 16th century? The Catholic church has been around for a whole lot longer than that! The Catholic Church was first mentione d in name by St. Ignatius in 110 AD. "Wheresoever the bishop shall appear, there let the people be, even as where Jesus may be, there is the universal [katholike] Church.".

With that in mind, I have 1 piece of advice, and 2 questions for you:

1 Go see your priest! Tell your Parish priest of this conversation, and ask him for guidance.

2 Why on earth would you let the opinion of other people carry you away from your faith?

3 How exactly did they "prove" their opinion? I'd be interested to know.

[quote="MaroniteRosary, post:9, topic:277330"]

[/quote]

Keep the faith.

Yes, I’d like to know the same thing. What were the seemingly insurmountable arguments proposed to you, Maronite Rosary?

[/quote]

People like the ones you were debating with like to attack certain beliefs by claiming they are not in the bible....Yet they manage to ignore the 800 pound gorilla in the room which is that the very basis of the protestant authority structure is not Biblical.

I actually proved this to myself using only the Bible and have yet to have a protestant offer anything like a convincing counter to it.

The Protestant structure rests on:
The primacy of the Bible as authority - and the independence from any "man made" structural authority and

The Catholic (and the Orthodox) structure rests on the primacy of the Bible along with the Authority of the Church working on the councilior model of Bishops in communion with each other to determine, interpret and promulgate a unified teaching.

The NT clearly supports the model as developed by the Catholic (and Orthodox) Church and which was the ONLY model for the first 1500 years of Christianity. The NT is completely silent of anything that could reasonably be seen as supporting the protestant view of authority.

This can be clearly shown, but the "bible Only" Christians will either ignore it completely, or will try to say that it's a mis-interpretation of the text. But every objection I have ever been given has an answer...
So my question to these people is - Who is really the more "Bible based" Church???

Peace
James

Oh and one more thing…How can the Catholic faith be dead when we have the Living Lord in our tabernacles? When He comes to us each day through the mass?

Definitely NOT dead…:thumbsup:

Peace
James

Glad to hear you're staying! :thumbsup: Sometimes these debates catch us off guard, and some people argue forcefully and kind of steamroller over us - we shouldn't let that get to us. Like others have said, take time to prepare both with sound apologetics study and also learn some tricks of the debate trade so you'll recognize if someone's trying to use a fallacious argument. Or just trying to bombard you so you can't think on your feet (I hate that when people do it to me! :mad:).

I've found that having a good set of assertiveness skills helps too - even something as simple as "I would be happy to answer your question but I'm feeling pressured and put on the spot right now, so let me get back to you later." You have the right to say that. :blessyou:

Objectively I couldn't condone your being Cathoilc, because I believe it's false. But, I agree with CatholicDude that no one should make that decision because of a debate. Otherwise, and I guarantee, the more you delve into things like apologetics, the more frequently you'll be adopting different positions. Whether or not these arguments are unsound should be the conclusion of study and reflection.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.