Planting a seed

I hope I am not starting too many threads, I promise to stop after this one! :o I just thought of something that happened over 25 years ago that I’ve never completely forgotten.

First of all, anyone have a scary Italian grandma? Well I did and they can be a quite intimidating. When I was in 6th grade I got invited to a wealthy friends second home in Palm Springs. Her equally scary Italian grandma came with us. One day my friend and I are out walking around and SIG comes and hunts us down and says: “Get in the car it’s Good Friday and we are going to Mass” to which I replied, “Oh, I’m sorry I’m not Catholic so I don’t go to Mass” SIG points her finger at me and say, “It was good enough for your ancestors and it’s good enough for YOU, now get in the car, you are going to Mass”. I remember thinking, “Well she’s got a good point and besides you never argue with anyone’s SIG” so I got i the car and went to Mass.

That was the first and last time I did anything Catholic until college but it did impress upon that I had a Catholic heritage and I also remember asking my mom later and that is when she told me about how everyone (Christian) at one time was indeed Catholic and explained the Reformation to me.

Funny how such a small thing can leave such a lasting impression.

Thanks for your story. I really enjoyed reading it (and I can’t say that about all the threads - especially tonight). What a great last thread to read before going to bed. :slight_smile:

BTW - So, who watered the flower?

[quote=ProudArmyWife]Thanks for your story. I really enjoyed reading it (and I can’t say that about all the threads - especially tonight). What a great last thread to read before going to bed. :slight_smile:

BTW - So, who watered the flower?
[/quote]

WOW! That’s a hard question. I’ve been thinking about it since you posted it. I guess my first exposure was when I went to UM-Kansas City and had Catholic roomates and hung out at Rockhurst College a lot. That was my first exposure to Catholic “culture” and honestly, I thought being Catholic involved drinking large quantities of alcohol on a daily basis. My boyfriend was from a devout Catholic family who disapproved of him dating a non-Catholic and they weren’t afraid to let me know.

So that wasn’t it. :rolleyes:

When I was in my late 20’s I attended an inquiry session at a local Catholic Church on a whim, mostly to see what you all believed. My father’s family was all Catholic but dad had left the Church after his first wife left him high and dry. A Priest told him he could never get remarried and have a family so he left very bitter. My mom was an anti-Catholic and I wanted to get insight from people who actually like Catholicism. I enjoyed the classes but that was that.

Next, I had a non-Practicing Catholic friend who told me strange stories like she was told by a nun that if she carried her Rosary beads with her at all times and died, she would go straight to heaven. Then she joined the Calvary Chapel and went from being an apathetic Catholic to a rabid Ex-Catholic (her mother is going to hell).

But strangely enough, she is someone who watered the plant in a round about way. I happened to watch the Journey Home on EWTN one night with my husband and we were both intrigued. I went and bought the Suprised by Truth book and loved it. I also picked up a book called Catholicism and Fundamentalism by Karl Keating to give to my friend but decided to read it first. I got totally hooked. She’s still rabidly anti-Catholic and no longer thinks I’m saved but to make a short story long, that’s what clinched it for me. :thumbsup:

"It was good enough for your ancestors and it’s good enough for YOU,

Amen, SIG!
I was just thinking that today. My il’s ancestors were from Germany, maybe even saw the 95 thesis nailed to the door, and still remained Catholic. The error of Catholisism wasn’t discovered by any relatives in all those years, until just now. Amazing, heh? :hmmm:
Lukelion

I, too, am a convert. Catholicism and Fundamentalism is a great book! I couldn’t put it down - that is saying lots since I really don’t like to read all that much. I also have the Surprised by Truth books. Have you read The Catholic Mystique? It is like Surprised by Truth except it is all about women and the Church.

[quote=ProudArmyWife]I, too, am a convert. Catholicism and Fundamentalism is a great book! I couldn’t put it down - that is saying lots since I really don’t like to read all that much. I also have the Surprised by Truth books. Have you read The Catholic Mystique? It is like Surprised by Truth except it is all about women and the Church.
[/quote]

I haven’t read that one but thanks for telling me about it because I’ve been wanting something new to read. Right now I’m reading Born Fundamentalist Born Again Catholic which is also good.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.