Playing Bingo on Good Friday?

Is there a definitive judgement on the appropriateness of a bingo hall that supports various Catholic organizations being open on Good Friday?

On the one hand, it is a legitimate, non-sinful leisure activity of enjoyment, socialization, etc. My dad and I enjoy playing most weekends when we're both available since he travels a lot for work and we don't get to see each other much. We have a good time, share a meal, and enjoy each other's company. I'm sure others have similar experience.

But on the other hand, I can see how it could be contrary to be taking part in amusements on what should be the most penitential and somber day of the year for a Christian. How can we enjoy ourselves while Jesus is dying on the cross for our sins?

On the other hand :D many churches (ours included) and Christian organizations hold Fish Fries on Good Friday, which are also occasions of enjoying good food and social merriment.

So what is the prudent middle road here? Is it wrong to enjoy ourselves on Good Friday?

My only observation is that if Bunnings ( a huge hardware chain in Australia) is shut on Good Friday, bingo halls run by Catholic organisations should be. Surely their staff have Church services they need to get to! :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.