Playing Hymns With a Polka Beat Disrespectful?

As some of you know, I play the Melodeon, which is also known as the Diatonic Button Accordion. I mostly play polkas, however, I was also thinking of playing some hymns. Would it be disrespectful to play hymns polka style?

If you want to play polka-style hymns in the Mass, check with the priest.

Outside of Mass, I can’t imagine there would be a problem. That might be really good in a parish coffeehouse, music night, or talent show.

If you are going to play hymns during Mass that way, yes it is a problem. Outside of Mass, no problem.

I meant outside of Mass. If I was a musician in the church, I would not play the left hand during Mass, as the left hand is the basses, which produce the oom-pah.

I thought it would be a bit disrespectful, but I guess I was wrong! I assume you can expect to see some hymns on my you tube channel soon. :slight_smile:

On September 26, 1964, Gilligan’s Island’s pilot episode aired on CBS. That of course means we’ve had 50+ years of being able to sing the words of “Amazing Grace” to the tune of the Gilligan’s Island theme song. (I’ll bet you’ll never be able to get that out of your brain now that I’ve planted it there!)

You can also sing the words to Oh My Darling, Clementine to the melody of Beethoven’s Ode to Joy (and vice versa).

And Praise God, From Whom All Blessings Flow to the tune of Hernando’s Hideaway (even including the Amen at the final “dip”).

Not sure how any of those would sound if played polka style, however :slight_smile:

I was planning on doing instrumentals of hymns, and giving it a polka beat. http://i.imgur.com/6WYn0o8.gif

I’m sure God would love to hear you use your talent to praise Him in your own unique way. :smiley:

Not more so than hand-clapping to a Spanish Mass hymn.

Speaking of Clementine,

Donall and Conall Meet C.F.W. Walther

I’ve always believed that popular melodies (and popular folk dances, for that matter) will more often than not tend to spread like wildfire and be claimed as “our own” by multiple groups (be they nationalities, cultures, or whatever).

Of course, that does not explain the “Chicken Dance” (which, if I never hear it for the rest of my life, will be too soon).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.