Playstation 3 games - any suggestions

I just bought a playstation 3 console for the family and was wondering if anyone had some suggestions for games to buy. My oldest kids are ages 10,8,6 & 6. Thanks for your help.

you may want to check out gamestop.com you can search for games by console and by game rating. i wish i could help more but i dont know much about the playstation 3 and i dont know of many games that would be suitable. it seems alot of games being made now are geared more towards older players or are sports and racing games.

I agree with the previous poster. As much I know a lot of games I would want if I had a PS3, they're all rated T and above.

Have you tried browsing the Playstation website? I hear there's a Toy Story 3 game there. There's also Ben 10 Ultimate Alien: Cosmic Destruction (a lotta kids here seem to be getting into that show these days :shrug:).

P.S.

There's also a site called GameFAQs that could help.

Without a doubt Little Big Planet!!! Rated E for everyone of course. It is by far the best game ever created for PS3, there is nothing like it on any system.

This game is so good, my wife even likes it.

• It is a fun game in general, but there is much more to it then just the story levels

• It is fully customizable by the user, kids are able to create entire levels.

• They end up learning many of the aspects of object oriented programming, by creating their own levels

Read a few reviews. Ask the guys at game store. btw Little Big Planet comes out today.

littlebigplanet.com/en-gb/2/

My son and I have gone round and round trying to find "suitable" games for not only playstation but xbox also. Like someone else said, most games that aren't rated t and above are sports games or for much younger ages. It will probably be easy to find something for the 6yr olds and possibly the 8yr old.. but the 10yr old hmm unless he enjoys sports! My son isn't into sports and definately didn't want the "baby" games lol. He did settle on some of the aircraft games that were out when he was that age. He was into army stuff, battle etc.. try finding one of those that isn't a t or above rating, it can't be found.

Thanks for the input from all of you. I ordered 3 racing games along with a feed-back steering wheel when we ordered the console, so I got that area covered. The problem I have is that my 10 yr old is a girl, and there are not a lot of games oriented towards girls. Is the Little Big World appropriate for a 10 yr old, or too kiddish?

[quote="ArthurQArch, post:6, topic:226172"]
Thanks for the input from all of you. I ordered 3 racing games along with a feed-back steering wheel when we ordered the console, so I got that area covered. The problem I have is that my 10 yr old is a girl, and there are not a lot of games oriented towards girls. Is the Little Big World appropriate for a 10 yr old, or too kiddish?

[/quote]

Little Big Planet is one of only games my 12 year old girl will play. Note you can customize the characters to be girls. As far as too kiddish, teenage to 20ish sales people at the game store all play it (if they have ps3). These guys normaly play rated M shooter. In fact when the original LBP came out one guy told me it is the only thing he played for an entire month. Our entire family plays this game and enjoy it. We especially like playing the levels that our kids designed themselves.

btw you can download the LBP 2 demo for free from the playstation store.

Little Big Planet is one of only games my 12 year old girl will play. Note you can customize the characters to be girls. As far as too kiddish, teenage to 20ish sales people at the game store all play it (if they have ps3). These guys normally play rated M shooter. In fact when the original LBP came out one guy told me it is the only thing he played for an entire month. Our entire family plays this game and enjoys it. We especially like playing the levels that our kids designed themselves.

My kids have been playing the original LBP for 3 years. I have never come across a game with that kind of longevity. Most of their time is spent programming/building new levels. Everyone we know who has this game feels the same way. Anti-video game moms all love the game too.

btw you can download the LBP 2 demo for free from the playstation store.

see more info:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LittleBigPlanet

Definitely get Little Big Planet. The original should be inexpensive now with the sequel coming out today. Then get the sequel later on.

If you have a PlaystationEye camera and at least one Move controller, I've heard good things about Start the Party. Can't vouch for it myself, but one of my friends has a 9 year old and she loves playing it. Another has three (boy 8, girl 6, girl 3) and the older two like it. The parents don't find it all that interesting, but since it's for the kids....

If your kids like music, there are multiple singing or rhythm games available. Singstar, Rock Band, Dance Dance Revolution, etc. The newest DDR game also supports the Move instead of just having an arrow pad for your feet. Not my kind of game, but kids seem to like singing and dance games a lot. Especially girls.

LEGO Star Wars is popular with that age group. If your machine is backwards compatible, or you happen to still have a Playstation 2, check out the Kingdom Hearts series, also. You're kids will love those instantly.

Playstation 3, seems to be a system difficult to games for ... in terms of ones for kids. Theres a ton of fighting, war type games out there. And ones like Final Fantasy. But not something I want my daughter to play.

When we got our system, we got with it Katamari Forever. Simple game really. There is a king who is asleep. But there is a robot version of him who seems to have taken over. You play as the orginal kings son.

For the different levels, you're the prince pushing around a katamari (a ball) that has to roll over certain things, or be made to a certain size before being able to finish a level.

My daughter is only 3 but she likes it enough though, she does rarely play.

Theres also family game night! it includes sorry, scrabble, boggle, battle ship, yathzee and sliders. My 8 year old niece enjoys that.

My 8 year old niece also likes the sing games and was given a Hanana Montana one based on the movie. Not sure what its entirely like though.

We got the move system over Christmas and have been enjoying our Eye pet! :)

You can download demos of games from the playstation store and test them out yourself to see if they are appropriate or if they might get played.

Personally, I think the better system for families, is Wii. At least right now. There are many more games available for varying ages. Everything I find for PS3 right now is much too ... hmm grown up.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.