Please all I need help urgently on this one

I was searching for explanations of the origins of the different christmas traditions; christmas tree, Santa Claus, christmas carols, christmas crib etc. I googled it but the sites i got were obviously not christain with different explanations that dont seem right to me. Please can anyone direct me to a christian site (prefarably Catholic) that explains these things.

Many Thanks
Paula
P.S. I need it for a presentation i'm doing Wednesday evening

I am sending you a copy of an article I wrote years ago which covers some of the more obscure symbols.

This homeschooler website isn't Catholic but has done a good job of assembling sources and information:
athomeschool.com/unitstudy/christmas_symbols_index.html

[quote="PaulineOsinachi, post:1, topic:178764"]
I was searching for explanations of the origins of the different christmas traditions; christmas tree, Santa Claus, christmas carols, christmas crib etc. I googled it but the sites i got were obviously not christain with different explanations that dont seem right to me. Please can anyone direct me to a christian site (prefarably Catholic) that explains these things.

Many Thanks
Paula
P.S. I need it for a presentation i'm doing Wednesday evening

[/quote]

The New Advent Catholic Encyclopaedia is always a good place to start!

Some Christmas traditions are discussed briefly towards the end of this article, including the Crib which was invented by St Francis of Assisi...

Santa Claus is Saint Nicholas of Myra. Santa - as in "Saint", and Claus - as in "Klaus", the shortened form of "Nicholas" in German!

The Christmas tree was supposedly "invented" by Saint Boniface. He saw some pagans worshipping an oak tree - he cut it down and caused a fir tree to spring up in its place. Of course evergreen plants are very symbolic in the Christian faith. This page has a piece about this.

I hope these help you somewhat. By the way, do you need to give a long presentation, or is it directed at children? If you need a very detailed presentation, then I doubt what I have given you will suffice!

Hi Pauline, Christmas has a large history. Both with pagan and Christian associations. Many know Jesus was not born on Dec 25 so in the New Jerusalem Catholic Church
alphaomeganewjerusalem.com/sitebuilder/images/newjerusalem.pdf

Christmas has been adjusted to the 8th day of the Festival of Lights from Dec 10/1-8. We celebrate God/Jesus as the Father/Son of lights(truths). The birthday celebration has been moved.
December is the tenth month now on the new calendar. The conception of Jesus is on Sunday Dec 10/1 and 9 months later the birthday of Jesus is on the Feast of Trumpets Sept 7/1. September is the 7th month now.
Sept=7
Dec=10

Hope this helps

Russ:thumbsup:

Look, another new denomination! (Wasn’t someone trying to keep track?):smiley:

[quote="NHInsider, post:5, topic:178764"]
Look, another new denomination! (Wasn't someone trying to keep track?):D

[/quote]

This is the endtime New Jerusalem Kingdom of God on Earth denomination

Fri Nov 9/20

Thanks all for your posts. They were really helpful

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.