Please don’t visit CatholicVote.org this Sunday

Email I received from CatholicVote.org:

Dear CatholicVote.org Member,

Please don’t visit CatholicVote.org this Sunday.

Yes, you read that correctly. This Sunday, and every Sunday in fact, you will not be able to interact on our website.

That’s because starting this weekend CatholicVote.org will be closed on Sundays. You won’t be able to watch our videos, read our blog, or chat in our forums. In fact, you won’t even be able to donate to CatholicVote.org.

Every Sunday our website will display this simple message: “Sorry, we’re closed on Sunday. Go to Church. Read a book. Take a walk. Call a friend. Celebrate life. See you tomorrow…” For a glimpse of our Sunday page – click here. catholicvote.org/index.php?/site/sundayPage/ (My note: Keep refreshing the page to see the different pictures. There is an adorable one with two little boys sitting by a lake.)

In our hectic world, we at CatholicVote.org want to tell the world that Sunday is not simply just another day. As the Bible states: “The seventh day is a sabbath of solemn rest, holy to the Lord,” (Exodus 31:15).

A recent headline confirms the need for us to do something. The Annenberg Center for the Digital Future just announced that 28 percent of Americans interviewed last year said that they have been spending less time with members of their households. Only 11 percent said this in 2006. While the researchers in that study didn’t assign a culprit, they did note that the trend correlates with the rise in Internet usage and a boom in social networking websites.

That’s why we’re encouraging people on Sunday to log off the Internet, Facebook and other sites. Of course, our Lord didn’t say ‘Thou Shalt Not Tweet on Sunday.’ But he did say, ‘Keep Holy the Sabbath.’ With this small step, we want to help reclaim the Lord’s Day as a day of worship and rest.

Our decision may surprise some. But in many ways we believe this effort will be our most important initiative. By encouraging our visitors to avoid our site on Sunday, we hope to spark a movement across many sites on the Internet. Even a small movement to respect Sunday could have a profound impact on our culture. If you think about it, every effort to reform our country, our politics, and our culture begins with what we do on Sunday.

The launch date of this new campaign is not coincidental. This new Sunday campaign is our way of honoring our Heavenly Father this Father’s Day.

Put Him first and He will take care of the rest.

Brian Burch
President

P.S. One of the more famous examples of respecting Sunday is fast-food chain Chik-Fil-A. The second largest chicken-based fast food restaurant in America has over 700 restaurants that close every Sunday.

Chick-Fil-A founder S. Truett Cathy once said: “Our decision to close on Sunday was our way of honoring God and directing our attention to things more important than our business. If it took seven days to make a living with a restaurant, then we needed to be in some other line of work.”

Of course, we aren’t selling chicken. Instead we are in the business of changing minds and the imagination of our culture with powerful new media campaigns. If you like what we are doing, please consider chipping in. We could really use your help in promoting this campaign. Just don’t try and donate on Sunday!

CatholicVote.org, P.O. Box 2709, Chicago, IL 60690 - Call us at 312-201-6559
Follow CatholicVote on Facebook and Twitter and YouTube and MySpace.

I will bear that in mind, as I received an e-mail from them just today stating the very same thing. Thanks for the reminder. :thumbsup:

Very nice. :thumbsup:

I had almost forgotten what it was like when I was little. you had to get your shopping done on Saturday night cuz most everything was closed on Sunday. Nowadays Sunday is almost the same as Saturday. I support more people and companies doing this. :smiley:

That is really neat. I hope this is a trend-setter; what a great message that could send.:thumbsup:

If you go to Mass on Sunday, and refrain from unnecesary work then why would doing anything related to your faith be a bad thing if that is all you can do. Some people are not moblie and don’t particularly care to whine to their friends about their suffering all day or stare at the walls or watch TV and may find it comforting to think about their faith.

But, then again they could come here I suppose.:slight_smile:

I don’t think they’re saying it would be a bad thing. In a sense, their site continues to be ‘active’ by helping us reflect on how the world has become ‘business as usual’ on Sundays, and how businesses used to honor the Lord’s Day by being closed.

You say: “why would doing anything related to your faith be a bad thing if that is all you can do”, and you’re right. It’s not a bad thing but that’s not the point. :wink:

The message is more about realizing what Sunday means instead of just taking it as “the day you have to go to Mass”. Today’s society has turned Sunday into an ordinary day just like any other so this site’s message is more about reflecting on that and remembering what we’re really celebrating that day.

While I may not totally agree with this, I get it.

Most Youth Minister’s work on Sunday’s. Now I gotta go to youtube for your videos i guess. oh well, I can always show them the site and tell them to visit Monday! :wink:

YES YES YES. How many thumbsup can I give you? :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

The Sabbath is Saturday.

We celebrate liturgy on Sunday because that is the day the Lord rose; it also, however, is outside the sabbath restriction.

Saturday is the day to rest. Sunday is the day to pray, and prayer is work.

I have really had a calling to do this also, and you know what I am going to do it. Sat may be the sabbath but Sunday is the day the Lord Rested!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.