Please explain: Genesis 3:15 + Mary

At the Miraculous Medal site, they show Mary standing on the head of the serpent, and crushing him. And say that he will flee from her, for she is the Queen of Heaven, and of Earth.

They show reference to Genesis 3:15. But this is what it says:

15 And I will put enmity
between you and the woman,
and between your offspring [a] and hers;
he will crush ** your head,
and you will strike his heel."

My questions:

A. How, thus, does this Scripture apply to Mary? Isn’t Jesus the One who crushes the serpent’s head?

B. Where in the Bible does it state that Mary is the “Queen of Heaven and of Earth”? :confused:

I desperately want to believe the story of the Miraculous Medal, but if it’s contrary to Scripture, how can it be true?:eek:

Please help me, so I can fully understand.

Miraculous Medal Site/And story of Medal:
amm.org/medal.asp

Thank you, and God bless. :)**

You might find this link helpful

As for the Queenship, this might be helpful. The queenship of Mary flows and is wholly dependant on, the Kingship of Christ.

The Douay-Rheims Bible has Genesis 3:15 as this:

“I will put enmities between thee and the woman, and thy seed and her seed: she shall crush thy head, and thou shalt lie in wait for her heel

And it has a footnote to explain what it means:

“She shall crush”… Ipsa, the woman; so divers of the fathers read this place, conformably to the Latin: others read it ipsum, viz., the seed. The sense is the same: for it is by her seed, Jesus Christ, that the woman crushes the serpent’s head.

From what I gather, the Douay-Rheims Bible interprets the passage as a prophecy of Christ’s future Messiahship, when Mary will bring about an end to sin by bringing Jesus into the world, who is the antidote to the sin of Adam and Eve, which was brought about by the Serpent.

This explains the traditional rendering of Mary statues where she is stood on the snake. Hope ive been of help:)

P.S. Incase you’re wondering why some bibles render this verse differently, have a read of the online book here:
tanbooks.com/audio/wbsyr.pdf

It illustrates how several key phrases in the bible, that support Catholic doctrine, have been translated out of scripture in modern translations, and often replaced by a totally different meaning. Thus the doctrine is hidden or damaged if we are to consult certain versions of scripture for it. That’s why it’s so important to be careful when choosing a bible.

Unfortunately, the above passage suffers this fate in many modern translations. As does Luke 1:28:mad:

Matt

Oops, it seems AJV posted a sufficient answer to your question! Sorry for my reply, I was busy writing it when AJV’s reply appeared. And I neglected to point out that in modern translations the passage can refer to both Jesus aswell as Mary.

Matt

Where in the Bible does it state that Mary is the “Queen of Heaven and of Earth”

In addition to the wonderful article posted earlier by AJV, I like to recall that when the Angel Gabriel visited Mary, the angel’s words at the greeting are different than at any other place in Scripture where angels interact with humans. Typically, the humans humbly submit to the supremacy of the Angels…but here the Angel “Hails” Mary…giving her a royal greeting so to speak. signifying Mary is above them in dignity in some way.

Peace in Christ,

DustinsDad
[/quote]

Thank you both very, very much!!!:slight_smile:

This is MUCH appreciated!! God bless you both!!!

Thank you so much!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.