Please explain Holy Hour for Relics

I received a postcard in the mail from the Catholic college from which I graduated. They renovated the chapel and have a new altar. They are having an open house on Oct. 4, followed by a Holy Hour for Relics.

The relics of St. Catherine of Siena, St. Julie Billiart, and St. Elizabeth Ann Seton will be on display for veneration. These relics will be placed in the new altar when it is dedicated.

I am thinking of possibly going to this event. I have never been to anything like this before.

Do any of you know about this? How does one venerate relics?

That sounds like an amazing opportunity! I’m not entirely sure how the veneration of relics works myself, so I shall be watching for more knowledgable replies.

That said, I’ve seen my husband stand for a while in front of a relic (presumably contemplating something to do with the saint - I’ve never had the courage to ask him) and then cross himself before he moves on - maybe that’s all you’re supposed to do?

We had something similar at WYD - the Eucharist was exposed as well as the relics of two saints (Sts Peter Chanel and Marcellin Champagnat, both associated with the Marist order that ran the church where they were displayed).

If the relics are simply ‘on display’ then the procedure is basically the same as Eucharistic Adoration - in other words one simply prays in the presence of the relics.

On the other hand at another Mass I attended ages ago, a relic of St Aloysius Gonzaga was offered for veneration to the faithful (it was his feastday). In which case you approach the case containing the relic and can kiss or touch the case as a sign of respect.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.