Please explain "LOVE" to me

Of course I am aware of the different kinds we call “love”. Eros, agape, filia, storge… and a lot more.

What I don’t understand what does the word “love” mean in two specific instances: 1) God’s love toward us, and 2) our “love” toward God. Neither of them can be covered by the categories above. Be specific, if you can.

1 Like

True love is putting others first and yourself last

3 Likes

To will the good of the other.

5 Likes

Greek Charis – grace – the goodness of God, both generous and gratuitous, and also the reflection of that nature of God, which God receives with praising, thanking, and glorifying.

1 Like

My understanding is that love is cooperation.

’ God is love, and that love is of God, and works this in us that we abide in God and He in us.’ - St Augustine

1 Like

The more I see in this world the more I am convinced love is acceptance.

Of late, I feel love is the feeling you get when you freely open your hearts without any fear of future blackmailing or trapping you in your words. In my limited experience, only God can be truly loved by this definition. Previously I held an idea that love is nothing but enjoying the inferiority/gullibility of others.

I’m no expert, but I think that the love you’re referring to is the category you mentioned, which we call agape.

If you have the time, there is a good video series on youtube that explains the four different types of love, and how they relate to and ultimately depends on God’s love, agape.

Jesus came to reveal God, the true “face” of God. This knowledge is more than head knowledge but direct and intimate knowledge: knowing Him. Faith is the object of this knowledge and this knowledge is the object of faith; both grow together. But most importantly, love grows with this knowledge because to know God is to love Him; He’s that good; He’s the very source of goodness.

At the Fall, “They become afraid of the God of whom they have conceived a distorted image - that of a God jealous of his prerogatives”, as the catechism teaches. That fear and distorted image persists in us; we’re born with it; it’s part of our separation or exile from God and the lack of knowing Him that we’re all born with. The New Covenant, as the time became ripe in human history, is the antidote:
No longer will they teach their neighbor,
or say to one another, ‘Know the Lord,’
because they will all know me,
from the least of them to the greatest,”
declares the Lord. Jer 31:34

So Jesus came to give us the knowledge that Adam dismissed and spurned at the time, which could’ve been his, growing on the greater knowledge that he already possessed. He hadn’t yet come to appreciate God’s definitive supremacy and of his own complete dependency on Him. Pride had entered the human scene-and that pride actually opposes the “knowledge of God”:
398 In that sin man preferred himself to God and by that very act scorned him. He chose himself over and against God, against the requirements of his creaturely status and therefore against his own good.

The Cross shows the extent to which God is willing to go to prove how deeply He loves us, Perfect Innocence suffering an excruciatingly humiliating and painful death in human flesh at the hands of His own creation-in spite of our sin, forgiving all the while. “They hated me without reason”, Jesus reveals about his persecutors, quoting Psalms. Anyway:
"Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent." John 17:3

I can’t do a better job of explaining it than Peter Kreeft, so I’ll let him explain it to you:

https://www.peterkreeft.com/topics/love.htm

Love is a good disposition of the soul by which one prefers nothing to the knowledge of God. It is impossible to reach the habit of this love if one has any attachment to earthly things. (St. Maximus Confessor; The Four Hundred Centuries on Love 1:1)The one who loves God prefers knowledge of Him to all things made by Him and is constantly devoted to it by desire. (Ibid. 1:4)

I can add only that “Love does not count the cost”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.