Please help explain a verse

OK so my baptist pastor say that us Catholics should not call are priest father cause it says in Matthew 23:9 'Call no man your father on earth, for you have one Father, who is in heaven. how can i explain to him that calling a priest father is not wrong

Call No Man “Father”?

The link above will explain everything. Maybe you could print it out or email to said pastor. :smiley:

Which has more force to you: calling a man “father” or gathering wealth? Remember the “eye of the needle?”

Simplest argument “What do you call the man, who was married to your mother, and provides one half of your genes?”

Ask him, then, what does he call someone who teaches Sunday school? Reference the passage right before Matt. 23:9, 23:8, which says call no man “Rabbi” (which means “Teacher”).

Jesus wasn’t playing semantics in the Bible. He meant that we weren’t to have the spirit of superiority and pride that is shown by their acceptance through these titles. Also, reference Luke 14:11, “For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but the one who humbles himself will be exalted.”

May I add that using the Bible in that manner leads to all sorts of errors in interpretation.

Jesus never wrote a book. He taught orally. They called Him Rabbi (teacher). Nor did He command the Apostles to write anything. But, He did command the Apostles to go forth and teach everything that He had taught them. (Matt. 28:20) But not everything He taught them is in the Bible. (See John 21:25) So, what Jesus taught orally was taught by the Apostles to their successors, the bishops, who did likewise throughout the centuries till today. SOME of what was taught orally was written down. We call that the New Testament. The Magisterium of the Catholic Church (the Pope + the bishops in union with him) decided, in the fourth century, what books belonged in the New Testament, and which did not. They went through over 300 documents and letters, praying to the Holy Spirit to guide them, and ended up with the 27 we have today. Part of the criteria in deciding which books belonged was whether they agreed with what had always been taught orally.

What your pastor is doing is called “proof texting.” That’s taking snippets of Scripture out of context and bending them to his own desired translation. That’s why there are literally thousands of Protestant denominations, all having contradictory doctrines. It’s a mess.

The Bible should be read in context of the whole of Scripture, in light of Sacred Tradition (oral teaching), and Magisterial teaching (what the Popes and bishops have always taught). It is impossible for the Bible, Sacred Tradition, and Magisterial teaching to ever be at odds, one with another. They are all in harmony, i.e., in agreement.

Just ask him about his children or parents.

Without realizing it, he will likely use the word Father because he is in that relationship to his Father and he is a Father to his children.

what do you mean sorry im kinda brain dead today lol i sleep too much

Your Baptist pastor?

hmm :rolleyes::banghead:

St Paul says: for I am your father…

lol i get it now atleast i think :blush: :coffeeread:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.