Please help me edit this letter

I just saw a segment on the local news about the Rainbow Sash, and I just love how they contradict themselves. It makes it so easy. I’m going to post a letter that I plan to send to the news station. I am not looking for publication, but rather, to plant a seed and help them keep in mind that the popular view is the ignorant view and that they are insulting a great deal of their viewership. This particular station isn’t the worst offender, but its the one I happen to watch the most.

Here’s what I have so far. I’m going to do a search on this forum for the letters to and from in order to support my point, but other than that, sugestions are much needed! I want to be clear, concise, and strong on my point. Thanks for any help that you all can provide!

(posting in the next post)

Thanks and God Bless, everyone!

Pardon me, your bias is showing—and I, for one of many, happen to be tired of the constant attacks. I realize that most if not all of your staff disagrees with the position of the Catholic Church, but please give us the dignity of portraying the truth—as you purport to do through your “journalism.”

In regards to the Rainbow Sash movement, Archbishop Harry Flynn was initially doing his best to handle what could have potentially become an explosive situation. He has seen, as have the rest of us that those who wear the Rainbow Sash first of all do not understand true Catholic teaching, and secondly, they are clearly wearing the sash as a protest. They do not refer to their position as a protest, yet somehow, in their words, a protest is what they have propagated.

They say it is not a protest, and to their credit, today at the Cathedral they did accept the blessing offered to them in lieu of receipt of the Body and Blood of Christ. However, when they returned to their pews they remained standing “in silent protest” (the suggested posture in protest, from McNeill’s letter). How, exactly, then do you show footage from McNeill stating that this is not a protest? How, exactly, is the camera shot of those wearing the rainbow-colored sashes, singing “We Shall Overcome” NOT a protest?

Do you really think your viewers, many of whom follow the teachings of the Church, are ignorant enough not to read between the lines and show the truth of the matter that you so attempt to gloss over?

I would also like to call your attention to the fact that first of all, people with homosexual orientation are fully welcome as members of the Church, as they are children of God. The Church does not condemn people, but speaks about moral or immoral behavior.

As a single women, I also am banned from Communion if I engage in relations outside of marriage. One could argue that I have the option to get married, but then again, who’s to say that I ever will? Speaking in terms of theology, their sin would be the same as my sin and we bear the same cross—to remain chaste and celibate.

It is not the Church who has made this an issue…it is those who wear the Rainbow Sash, who have deliberately and with much ado tried to make the center of our faith a political stand.

True Catholics believe that when we go to receive Communion, we are receiving the body, blood, soul and divinity of Jesus Christ. Now I ask…why would any true believer actually do their best to make a political stand at this very point, in the Most Holy Sacrifice of the Mass, other than for their own adjenda? They call themselves Catholic yet they seek out the very foundation of our faith in an attempt to find a podium for themselves. How is that not a protest?

As you quoted the letter in your newscast, I know you had the context of the entire letters of both McNeill and the Archbishop’s response. It fascinates me that you took it so out of context to demonstrate your own willful ignorance of the truth of the matter. Please keep in mind that observant and faithful Catholics also watch your newscast and we have very powerful voices. You are representing what you think people want to hear, but in the process, you are deeply insulting those who can make or break your budget.

I respectfully request that in the future you act to understand and accurately portray the true teachings of the Church rather than just puiblicizing the popular viewpoint.

Respectfully,

[quote=JCPhoenix]Pardon me, your bias is showing—and I, for one of many, happen to be tired of the constant attacks. I realize that most if not all of your staff disagrees with the position of the Catholic Church, but please give us the dignity of portraying the truth—as you purport to do through your “journalism.”

In regards to the Rainbow Sash movement, Archbishop Harry Flynn was initially doing his best to handle what could have **potentially **become an explosive situation. He has seen, as have the rest of us that those who wear the Rainbow Sash first of all do not understand true Catholic teaching, and secondly, they are clearly wearing the sash as a protest. They do not refer to their position as a protest, yet somehow, in their words, a protest is what they have propagated.
[/quote]

Strike “potentially,” as it is redundant (implied by “could have”).

They say it is not a protest, and to their credit, today at the Cathedral they did accept the blessing offered to them in lieu of receipt of the Body and Blood of Christ. However, when they returned to their pews they remained standing “in silent protest” (the suggested posture in protest, from McNeill’s letter). How, exactly, then do you show footage from McNeill stating that this is not a protest? How, exactly, is the camera shot of those wearing the rainbow-colored sashes, singing “We Shall Overcome” NOT a protest?

Do you really think your viewers, many of whom follow the teachings of the Church, are ignorant enough not to read between the lines and show the truth of the matter that you so attempt to gloss over?

I would also like to call your attention to the fact that first of all, people with homosexual orientation are fully welcome as members of the Church, as they are children of God. The Church does not condemn people, but speaks about moral or immoral behavior.

As a single women, I also am banned from Communion if I engage in relations outside of marriage. One could argue that I have the option to get married, but then again, who’s to say that I ever will? Speaking in terms of theology, their sin would be the same as my sin and we bear the same cross—to remain chaste and celibate.

You are a woman, not a women. :slight_smile:

It is not the Church who has made this an issue…it is those who wear the Rainbow Sash, who have deliberately and with much ado tried to make the center of our faith a political stand.

True Catholics believe that when we go to receive Communion, we are receiving the body, blood, soul and divinity of Jesus Christ. Now I ask…why would any true believer actually do their best to make a political stand at this very point, in the Most Holy Sacrifice of the Mass, other than for their own adjenda? They call themselves Catholic yet they seek out the very foundation of our faith in an attempt to find a podium for themselves. How is that not a protest?

As you quoted the letter in your newscast, I know you had the context of the entire letters of both McNeill and the Archbishop’s response. It fascinates me that you took it so out of context to demonstrate your own willful ignorance of the truth of the matter. Please keep in mind that observant and faithful Catholics also watch your newscast and we have very powerful voices. You are representing what you think people want to hear, but in the process, you are deeply insulting those who can make or break your budget.

I respectfully request that in the future you act to understand and accurately portray the true teachings of the Church rather than just puiblicizing the popular viewpoint.

Respectfully,

Looks good. :thumbsup:

Good for you! I just wanted to mention that I noticed the word “agenda” misspelled. :slight_smile: Best of luck!

I used to be a journalist. I have many friends still in the business.
My suggestion would be to make it shorter. Much shorter. Half. I know. Ouch!
Stick to one, strongest objection. Like the one in the first paragraph. That they didn’t report the true teaching. Give a quote from teaching that substantiates your point.
You have to approach it in their language and business culture. Remember, these people don’t have a lot of time. If a letter is long, they lose interest and move on to the next one.
Television generally wants visual. The protesters met that need. So that’s what the reporter emphasized. Don’t expect them to totally change their point of view. Try and remember that much of what is reported about the church is very positive.
Keep sentences short. Simple. Paragraphs, too. Gets’em.

Jim

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.