Please help me! I just said something terrible to my sister, and i regret it!

My anger just got out of control, and I just said something horrible to my sister. I cussed* in front of her and her friend, and said a word I never said out loud before.

I feel so terrible. She is only 12; I'm 16. I really do not like what I said. Please help me. My anger got out of control.

I've been feeling really lonely lately, and I've been going through a hard time. I'm not trying to excuse my actions, but I want you to understand how bad I feel.

Please give me advice. It was unlike me to blow up in front of her. I'm in my room right now and I don't know what she's doing. She and her friend are probably in total shock.

[quote="catholic1seeks, post:1, topic:206906"]
My anger just got out of control, and I just said something horrible to my sister. I cussed* in front of her and my friend, and said a word I never said out loud before.

I feel so terrible. She is only 12; I'm 16. I really do not like what I said. Please help me. My anger got out of control.

[/quote]

Hello catholic1seeks,

Calm down. Take a couple of deep breaths.

I would go and let her know that my anger got out of control and that I am sorry. She is probably feeling horrible right now. I would just go now and tell her how sorry I am and that I love her very much. Talk it out and give her a hug.

Peace,

Abba

Okay, thank you so much for the advice.

I went and told her sorry, and both she and her friend said that they understood.

thanks so much!

how wonderful that you apologized! it takes a big person to do that.:)

One of the treasures of our tolerant society is that people are willing to forgive and recognise that we all have human failings. Forgiveness is a quality of love and love covers over a multitude of sins. Blessings to you and your sister.

Remember though that all sin is toward God principally. Therefore we need to seek God's forgiveness. This is not a mortal sin but it is a good thing for you to put on your list for next time you go to confession. In the meantime the blessed sacrament has the power to forgive venial sin if we confess to God our sins as you have no doubt done.

Make sure to that you do not repeat this sin. No doubt you will make many mistakes as you grow up, we all do, but repentance at its core is a determination to change and not to repeat the sin. But if we do sin, God is faithful and just to forgive us if we confess our sins seventy times seven with a sincere heart to change.

Yes, I was thinking this. I do want to confess this the next time I go, which i hope will be this weekend…

Thank you so much for your words!

Don't feel too bad, you may have slipped up, but what a wonderful example of humility and contrition you just gave for your sister and her friend in apologizing. I imagine it caused more good than any harm initially caused.

I'm sorry you've been so lonely and having a rough time lately. Is there anyone at home you can talk to about how you've been feeling?

That's the power of forgiveness right there. :)

Dear catholic1seeks,

You are welcome. :slight_smile:

I will keep you and your sister in my humble prayers.

God bless,

Abba

Perhaps you could use this as a way to open up a discussion with your sister about the difficult time you are having. It could bring you closer and be a way to talk about how people react and overreact in situations. It would be a good learning experience. You are so lucky to have a sister! And remember to let yourself be forgiven. :)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.