Please help me identify this denomination

I hope that someone can help me with this! I have a friend who believes she belongs to God’s true church. They don’t celebrate any “man-made traditions” such as Easter or Christmas, and identify these Holy Days as “pagan”. Because Jesus was Jewish, they only celebrate Jewish holidays- and celebrate the birth of Christ during the Feast of the Tabernacles. They only worship on the “true sabbath” which is Saturday- and claim that worshipping on Sunday is pagan. They worship in small communities in homes- primarily reading the Bible and talking. They follow no man-made traditions, depending solely on the Bible and their interpretation of it. They aren’t Seventh Day Adventist or Jehovah’s Witness. This friend continuously preaches anti-Catholicism and says that the Holy Spirit has told her to get His people out of the pagan Catholic Church. She is becoming rather successful at it and leading some people astray. I would like to defend our faith, but need help identifying hers first- so I can adequately prepare. Does anyone have a clue to what faith she belongs? Thanks!

Israelite. Or at least it sounds similar to my RA. Specifically Jewish holidays and Saturday Sabbath, but especially celebrating the Nativity during Sukkot/Tabernacles. By any chance does she also believe Jesus was crucified on a Wednesday?

Yes!!! She does believe that Jesus was crucified on Wednesday! I have never heard of the Israelite denomination so will need to do some research before talking to her again on Monday. Thank you!

And how did the Bible originate? Who told them to interpret the Bible? Who told them to not follow any man-made traditions? I’m not sure if you are trying to debate or simply engage this person, but the belief system is a fallacy that is quite easily brought down with a few basic questions…

So I have never heard of this before. My guess would be crucified, died, was buried on Wednesday. 1st Day = Thursday, 2nd Day = Friday, 3rd Day = Saturday / Sabbath / Resurrection?

Noahide, I’m guessing.

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=877893

[LEFT][/LEFT]

Could be Living Church of God too. They have similar beliefs and practices to what you listed.

My plan is to engage this person, initially- but I do fear it will turn into a debate. I confronted her Easter before last, and presented facts as well as references. She then brought a better debater from her community. I teach Inquirer’s Class in RCIA and we always encourage questions. I had heard the whole Goddess Estre thing before and had good factual information, thanks to Inquirer’s Class. Therefore, I was able to debate with kindness and she seemed swayed. Sadly, last Easter, she was back to the pagans at the Catholic Church routine again. She’s warming up for the “busy season”- Halloween, Christmas and Easter, and for some reason I feel it is necessary to share what we believe and why, in an attempt to quiet her down a bit. We are going to begin our discussion on Monday with the starting point of the Bible and Tradition. Hopefully she will be by herself. I have a feeling- but I’m not positive- that the person she brought last time was the leader of her home community.

Also, I’ll check into the Living Church of God and the Noahides! Thanks for the excellent ideas! I was clueless on where to begin.

This person would cease to be a “friend” the first time she made an anti-Catholic comment in my presence.

That isn’t possible, unfortunately. Her mother and my grandmother were best friends. When she was pregnant, her mother was killed while driving to visit her, bearing baby gifts and a rocking chair. :(. My grandmother stepped in and helped her, as she would her own daughter. She’s been an unofficial family member since then. She’s very pleasant, as long as religion is left out of the conversation. However when she’s “evangelizing” then she’s a different story. She is knowledgable and convincing …just wrong. I know her beliefs but not the specific denomination.

They’ve created their own “man-made tradition”. Oh, the irony.

:rotfl:

They will have the same trouble that SDA and others have with their Sabbath Celebration. Because they affirm the Divinity of Jesus, the Jews would not accept their Sabbath Day, which is decidedly Jewish. So while they appeal to the Jews for authority regarding the Sabbath, the truth is the Jews would reject them. If you are rejected by both Jews and Catholics, where exactly does that leave you?

This is their website. (I only know of it, because my RA posted against Halloween on Facebook, and the picture had their watermark.

1st night W-Th, 1st day Th, 2nd night Th-F, 2nd day F, 3rd night F-Sa, 3rd day Sa, resurrected that night/morning, for an empty tomb Sunday morning.

So it’s based on a literal 3 days and 3 nights, instead of interpreting that as figuratively meaning 3 days and the Jews at the time counting any part of a day as a full day.

I find it strange that people like this think they can construct a true Christian religion from the holy book of a pagan religion!

Thanks!! I’m pretty sure, after visiting the website, that this is her denomination. She has already mentioned several of these things to me! This will really help! And you are correct on their belief in the literal 3 days and 3 nights- we talked about this when we discussed Easter.

They will have the same trouble that SDA and others have with their Sabbath Celebration. Because they affirm the Divinity of Jesus, the Jews would not accept their Sabbath Day, which is decidedly Jewish. So while they appeal to the Jews for authority regarding the Sabbath, the truth is the Jews would reject them. If you are rejected by both Jews and Catholics, where exactly does that leave you?

I don’t really care about acceptance from jews, catholics, muslims, or anyone else for that matter. Read Isaiah 56 and make up your mind about the Sabbath. It’s the Lord’s day regardless of what a catholic or anyone else thinks. The last place in the world I need “approval” from is the pope or the church of Rome.

Study your Bible. Read it, reread and reread it. Cross reference Scriptures. Learn to use lexicons and a concordance. And don’t take for granted any church doctrine or tradition without searching for the truth with the help of the Holy Spirit. Get the Berean mindset. BTW all the nonsense about this part or that part of the Bible being “jewish” or for the “jews”? Jesus was a Jew and I would rather be like Him and accept teaching for a “jew” rather than anything that comes out of Rome and her hellish traditions.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.