Please help me out!

Hello everybody. Apologies for posting my question here. I am new to this site and couldn’t figure out where to post my query.

I was a hindu brahmin girl born and brought up in southern part of India. I met my husband who is a Catholic and we fell in love. I converted to catholic faith, got baptized, have been given the holy eucharist and married him I 2005 in the same church and by the same father who baptized me. Since my baptism I have had a strong urge to change my name but somehow my husband was not ready for it.
Now I am in sydney, miles away from the church in which I was baptized. Finally my husband agreed for my name change.
My query is “Does church allow a person to change the name after baptism and confirmation?”.If yes, can someone kindly let me know the process.

Hello there!

After baptism, did you take up a new Christian name, or did you keep your birth name? Which name do you want to change?

I don’t see how you could change your baptismal or confirmation name since that would require changing the cirtificates of baptism and confirmation. I don’t think that is possible because they were a part of the rites involved in the sacaments you received.

However you should be able to change your legal name without much trouble. I don;t know the steps you would take to do that. In the U.S. you would begin by filling out the necessary forms with the Social Security Administration, and they you would have to notify the numerous legal institutions we live under ( i.e. the Internal Revenue Service, the State Driver’s License Bureau, the Banks you do business with, etc. ). Even from a legal aspect, it is a lot of trouble.

Linus2nd

You can change your name and you can contact the parish where you were Baptised and have your new name added to your Baptism records. However, they will keep your original name as well.

Thank you all for taking time to go through my post and giving responses. I didn’t take any new name till now. I have been given a hindu name when I was born and I have been using/continuing the same name till now. I want to take a new name now which reflects my catholic faith.

=GracieRaj;11566751]Hello everybody. Apologies for posting my question here. I am new to this site and couldn’t figure out where to post my query.

I was a hindu brahmin girl born and brought up in southern part of India. I met my husband who is a Catholic and we fell in love. I converted to catholic faith, got baptized, have been given the holy eucharist and married him I 2005 in the same church and by the same father who baptized me. Since my baptism I have had a strong urge to change my name but somehow my husband was not ready for it.
Now I am in sydney, miles away from the church in which I was baptized. Finally my husband agreed for my name change.
My query is “Does church allow a person to change the name after baptism and confirmation?”.If yes, can someone kindly let me know the process.

I see no issues with this; but don’t quite understand the motivation?:blush:

God Bless you and welcome to the FORUM!

Patrick [PJM]

Good day everyone !!
I discussed with my parish priest and I am told that church provides a facility to change my name.

I can change my name here in sydney and the parish priest of the church in which I change my name would send a letter to the priest of the parish in which I was baptized to make a note of the name change.

Thank you all for your time and help. Once I decide on a name and the formality through church is over, I shall share it with you all.

God bless you all. :slight_smile:

Don’t forget the legal aspects. I’m glad you have a way to change your name on you baptismal and confirmation certificates - be sure to save all letters, etc related to the change.

Linus2nd

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.