Please help me with these questions about the church

Please answer only if you know alot about the catholic church,if you don’t have anything good to say dont say anything at all please,

what is sacred tradition? Is it directly passed down from the apostles and jesus throughout history, unchanged or has it been added onto throughout history? i already know its infaliable by the way

what does magisterium do? does the pope choose whether something is true/infalliable or not concerning sacred tradtion or does it have to do with saints as well?

I am well aware that god speaks throughout the body ( the church) especially through his canonized saints and us, but are their teaching infalliable, i understand that there is the diary of faustina, which is the teaching of mercy throughout the world in a diary, and other writings throughout the church concerning devotions, chaplets, and everything but does the pope discern whether or not it is infallible… and if it is, what does it become, a part of sacred tradition or just a teaching in the church? I am very very new to these teachings,

also i already know by personal experiance that god speaks throughout the memebers of the church, namely warnings and other things, are those infallable too? I mean at most points i think it pretty much is seeing as how it happens later on for me or if someone, like my church director says something when im thinking about things that make me concerned, its like a weight is lifted off my shoulders, which i see as the holy spirit helping me. Or when i right down an inspiration about god from my head on paper, stuff like that in a way.

Please answer only if you know alot about the catholic church,if you don’t have anything good to say dont say anything at all please,

what is sacred tradition? Is it directly passed down from the apostles and jesus throughout history, unchanged or has it been added onto throughout history? i already know its infaliable by the way

what does magisterium do? does the pope choose whether something is true/infalliable or not concerning sacred tradtion or does it have to do with saints as well?

I am well aware that god speaks throughout the body ( the church) especially through his canonized saints and us, but are their teaching infalliable, i understand that there is the diary of faustina, which is the teaching of mercy throughout the world in a diary, and other writings throughout the church concerning devotions, chaplets, and everything but does the pope discern whether or not it is infallible… and if it is, what does it become, a part of sacred tradition or just a teaching in the church? I am very very new to these teachings,

also i already know by personal experiance that god speaks throughout the memebers of the church, namely warnings and other things, are those infallable too? I mean at most points i think it pretty much is seeing as how it happens later on for me or if someone, like my church director says something when im thinking about things that make me concerned, its like a weight is lifted off my shoulders, which i see as the holy spirit helping me. Or when i right down an inspiration about god from my head on paper, stuff like that in a way.

This article should give you the basic framework. Glad you are thinking of these good topics and seeking to know more – keep going!

How about the examples of the saints?

Here is a Saints Encyclopedia, Books, Quotes. They will help you answer your questions

Get a copy of the Catechism. You’ll find answer to these and much more, with citations, and Biblical references. And you can be sure they are correct.

Sacred Tradition (note the capital “T”) is the teaching, doctrines, customs, etc) passed down from the apostles and revealed to the Church through the centuries. These are things like the the real presence or the dual nature of Christ. It remains unchanged and not added to but our understanding of it develops over time as it is adapted to avariety of time, circumstances, and environments. Importantly, it is separate from Sacred Scripture - not everything the Church teaches is directly present in the Bible.

The magisterium - that is, the Pope and bishops - exercise the teaching function of the Church interpreting and applying tradition. An infallible teaching is a definitive statement of faith or morals made by either the Pope himself or by the Bishops together with the Pope. Note that not everything the Pope or bishops each is infallible but, as Catholics, we are still called upon to respect it. We pray to the saints that they will guide the Pope and bishops in their work and, in the writings of some saints are used to guide the Church.

See above - only a definitive statement on faith or morals from the Pope (or the bishops together with the Pope) is infallible. The writings of some saints can be held in very high esteem by the Church but are not regarded as infallible nor to they add to what’s contained in Sacred Tradition.

The Holy Spirit frequently works through us and through others - grace builds upon nature - but private revelations are not infallible nor are Catholic required to accept them as true.

Hope this helps - I’ve tried to keep it simple :slight_smile:

Ilovejesus1234
RCIA classes have just started in my local parishes… I would highly recommend that you attend one at your local Catholic Church… it’s still very early on in the program. A good RCIA class will go into some detail about all of these questions and you also will usually have opportunities to ask the priest a lot of questions face to face :smiley:

From the Cathlic Encyclopedia newadvent.org/cathen/15006b.htm

Also from the Dogmatic Constitution on the Church: vatican.va/archive/hist_councils/ii_vatican_council/documents/vat-ii_const_19641121_lumen-gentium_en.html

1. The Lord Jesus, after praying to the Father, calling to Himself those whom He desired, appointed twelve to be with Him, and whom He would send to preach the Kingdom of God;(137) and these apostles(138) He formed after the manner of a college or a stable group, over which He placed Peter chosen from among them.(139) He sent them first to the children of Israel and then to all nations,(140) so that as sharers in His power they might make all peoples His disciples, and sanctify and govern them,(141) and thus spread His Church, and by ministering to it under the guidance of the Lord, direct it all days even to the consummation of the world.(142) And in this mission they were fully confirmed on the day of Pentecost(143) in accordance with the Lord’s promise: “You shall receive power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you, and you shall be witnesses for me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and in Samaria, and even to the very ends of the earth”.(144) And the apostles, by preaching the Gospel everywhere,(145) and it being accepted by their hearers under the influence of the Holy Spirit, gather together the universal Church, which the Lord established on the apostles and built upon blessed Peter, their chief, Christ Jesus Himself being the supreme cornerstone.(146)(3*)

2. That divine mission, entrusted by Christ to the apostles, will last until the end of the world,(147) since the Gospel they are to teach is for all time the source of all life for the Church. And for this reason the apostles, appointed as rulers in this society, took care to appoint successors.

For they not only had helpers in their ministry,(4*) but also, in order that the mission assigned to them might continue after their death, they passed on to their immediate cooperators, as it were, in the form of a testament, the duty of confirming and finishing the work begun by themselves,(5*) recommending to them that they attend to the whole flock in which the Holy Spirit placed them to shepherd the Church of God.(148) They therefore appointed such men, and gave them the order that, when they should have died, other approved men would take up their ministry.(6*) Among those various ministries which, according to tradition, were exercised in the Church from the earliest times, the chief place belongs to the office of those who, appointed to the episcopate, by a succession running from the beginning,(7*) are passers-on of the apostolic seed.(8*) Thus, as St. Irenaeus testifies, through those who were appointed bishops by the apostles, and through their successors down in our own time, the apostolic tradition is manifested (9*) and preserved.(10*)

It is clear then that Sacred Tradition is the Gospel preached by Christ and handed on by the Apostles. And as Revelation ended with the death of the last Apostle so did Sacred Tradition come to an end. It is sumed up in the teaching of Christ and the Apostles. It includes but is not restricted to the Holy Scriptures. From the death of the last Apostle, there has been no new Tradition.

Linus2nd

so would the rosray, divine mercy chaplet, diary of faustina(usually what i go off of for recommendations from god), and all other chaplets non infalliable even though they were revealed to many saints

if they are not infalliable, what area of the church are they held in?

The rosary and other devotions help us to grow in faith, piety, and assist in spiritual warfare…as in helping us to discern what is of God and what is placed before us by the prince of lies. in other words, things that are not required of Catholics, but are good practices nonetheless.

so what would the hail mary or the other prayers in the church be, would they be infalliable since they were made up by a saint, at least i think they were

The Hail Mary is straight out of Scripture.
Again, get a Catechism and learn more about the faith from a reliable source.
Peace.

wait but just one more question, in the diary of faustina, it said the blood and water that poured forth out christs side meant divine mercy just in the last century, is this infallible or fallible, because until just a century ago it meant this…I am really confused especially about the personal jesus interpertations…

Then you already know the answer to your own question. Nothing which is infallible can be added to, or subtracted from, or change. Our understanding may grow.

It has nothing to do with the Saints. The Pope MAY declare something infallible, but this has happened only twice (or, I would say, three times). Most infallible doctrine is promulgated by Ecumenical Councils.

I am well aware that god speaks throughout the body ( the church) especially through his canonized saints and us, but are their teaching infalliable,

I think you have a flawed understanding. The Catholic Church does not categorically (or usually, or ever) recognize the teaching of ANY Saint as ipso facto infallible. This even applies to the greatest doctrinal Saint of the Church, namely St. Thomas Aquinas, who is afforded the unique honorific title of the “Angelic Doctor.” But this great Saint and Doctor of the Church arguably taught against the Doctrine of the Immaculate Conception. Whether he did or not is completely irrelevant.

also i already know by personal experiance that god speaks throughout the memebers of the church, namely warnings and other things, are those infallable too?

If you refer to personal revelation (such as St. Faustina, or even St. Thomas Aquinas) then, NO, none of these are regarded as infallible. In fact, absolutely NO private revelation beyond the Apostolic age of any kind, type, shape, form, or whatsoever (have I made this clear?) is EVER considered infallible doctrine of the Church.

You will NEVER find an example of Catholic Doctrine which is founded upon any private revelation that happened after the Apostolic Age. That’s not how the Church works.

Very good!

Then you need not lose sleep about it. The Church approves whatever private revelations as being worthy of belief and this is one.

However, if you read your New Testament, you will quickly discover that the Divine Mercy message is laced all through it, and is really nothing new, but a message that renews that same love and mercy of God to us all.

Just because it is modern in no way makes it a “new” doctrine, and it is not infallible and was never intended to be. Still, in all my readings of her diary, I have seen nothing that disturbs me at all. In fact, it greatly reassures me and for that I give thanks and praise to God.

thanks that made me feel better (=

but concerning church infallibly on faith and morals, what are examples of it? concerning faith and morals and when would it be fallible

im sorry…

The Church does not have doctrines which She regards as “fallible” (subject to error). ALL Church teaching is to be accepted by every Catholic, regardless of whether the teaching has been recognized as infallible.

There is a prevalent misconception that Catholics are only obligated to accept doctrines that have been defined as infallible. This is a serious error. This error has given rise to Catholics who (for example) think they are not subject to the teaching of Pope Paul-6 in Humanae Vitae (main point: no artificial birth control) because the Vatican has never defined it to be infallibly taught (even though it meets the requisite criteria). Every Catholic is subject to Humanae Vitae (and everything else the Church teaches, infallible or not). When someone comes here and asks about infallibility, I wonder if he is under this misconception.

The distinction between doctrine which has been defined infallible and that which has not (yet) is of no practical interest or relevance to most Catholics. Only a small subset of Catholic theologians (who are mostly canon lawyers) care one way or another.

Infallibility is irrelevant to the guy in the pew.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.