Please help me with this.

I need help with the claim that Christianity is just a continuation of Paganism(sp?). It makes since in a freaky kinda way. For example, it is my understanding that the god Hades was the god that ruled the underworld, and the “underworld” to us is Hades! You might think that is a stupid example, but it just seems to close. What seperated us from Peganism? Does anyone have a website i can see or a book i can read theat will clear up some things, thank you.

[quote=RomanRyan1088]I need help with the claim that Christianity is just a continuation of Paganism(sp?). It makes since in a freaky kinda way. For example, it is my understanding that the god Hades was the god that ruled the underworld, and the “underworld” to us is Hades! You might think that is a stupid example, but it just seems to close. What seperated us from Peganism? Does anyone have a website i can see or a book i can read theat will clear up some things, thank you.
[/quote]

While we sometimes refer to hell or the underworld as Hades, yet “Hades” in this case is just a neutral term of description totally devoid of religious significance. Greek pagans worshipped Hades as a god, Christians do not. Besides, let us remember that astronomers always call the planet Jupiter as Jupiter, yet it doesn’t necessarily follow that astronomers “worship” Jupiter.

Gerry :slight_smile:

Ryan,

This question and other you ask indicate to me that you would make a REALLY good investment if you were to buy a copy of Karl Keating’s Catholicism and Fundamentalism. It is a wide-sweeping overview of Fundamentalist attacks on Catholicism (of which this “pagan” question is one). Do yourself a favor and get a copy of this book. I guarantee it will turn on lightbulbs all over the place for you!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.