Please help me... :(

**Im 17 years old, and have been born into the mormon religion. Growing up I have always had this weird feeling about the church, and now that im old its getting worse. I’ve grown to become very dissapointed in the way this religion has handled situations, and just the religion in general that I dont even want to consider myself a mormon. Lately I’ve been very interested in the catholic faith, but im very confused on where to get started. Im very serious about changing my faiths, I believe it will make me not only a better person, but a happier person. Please if you read this will you please wreite back and let me know the easiest ways to get started on learning more and more about this faith so eventually I can get baptize and raise my children in this faith… Thank you and God bless.:frowning: **

Hello,
I think the best and shortest way would be to go to the nearest Catholic church and talk to the priest. He is sure to get you started right away. Don’t be shy, just tell him honestly what you want, where you are coming from etc. The best thing would be to ask for an appointment for a private discussion. Call the parish office during office hours, or go to Mass one Sunday and talk to the priest afterwards.

Do not wait - use the grace God has given you. And pray, pray, pray… for strength, wisdom, and clarity.

God bless you!

You can always ask questions here! But yes, go see a priest. Do you have any friends that are Catholic. Not Catholics in name only, but those that really live their faith? If so, go see them.

A few books: The Bible - Catholic version, please.
Catholic for a Reason (vol. 1-4).
Four Witnesses - by Rod Bennett.
The Mass of the Early Christians - by Mike Aquilina.

BTW, Welcome to the Forums and good luck on your journey!!!

Hi
I know very little about the Mormons, except that it is a Christian denomination. What belief problems did you face there?
Thanks
I am an Ahmadi – a peaceful faith in Islam bridging gaps between faiths/denominations/religions/agnostics

I agree with the others, go to a local Catholic Church and speak to a Priest. He can help you.

Asking questions here might help you too.

But it is the Priest who can guide you in your search for the truth.

Speak to a priest and get a copy of the Catechism of the Catholic Church.

How will your family react to this?

Please keep us all updated, jmort… I’m interested to see how it all turns out.

Why not learn more about both faiths before you make a claim that is incorrect. I do not want to hijack this thread, but Mormonism is arguably not a Christian faith.

To the OP- the others have given you sound advice.

I was born a Mormon and was very active for many years. I taught seminary, was an elders quorum president and served as a counselor in a bishopric. I am now happily Catholic. I would be happy to answer any questions you might have. in the meantime I would suggest you take a few moments to read some of the materials right here at Catholic answers on becoming catholic. Finding a priest to speak with also a good idea. He can direct you to a number of good resources in your area to help you determine the best way to proceed.

One thing, if the first priest you ask doesn’t seem very “inviting”, find another one. I’ve seen some priests that simply don’t make the best ambassadors of the faith.

I think we all agree that going to a priest is the way to go:D

A priest might also direct you to the parish RCIA director or a deacon, brother (monk), or sister (nun). In my case the RCIA director was/is a sister :slight_smile: . All of whom will be able to provide you with guidance and advice on faith.

I was not a Mormon, but I was a Protestant from an anti-Catholic family. No one came to my Easter Vigil, not even my wife. I hesitated for years on making the exact decision that you are considering and on which these faithful individuals are advising you.

It was, without a doubt, and with no hesitation, the best decision I (with God’s help) have ever made.

Bless you in your journey home.

I was also LDS. Two years ago I walked into a Catholic church and knew I was finally home. Most Catholic Parishes (think:wards) begin what is called RCIA (Rite of Christian Initiation) each fall. This is where you learn the teachings of the faith, and over a process of several months discern whether you are ready to be baptised. Most adults are baptised and confirmed at Easter. It seems like a long time - several months. But it is such an amazing journey and you learn so much.

Just in case you live in Utah, here is a list of all the Parishes in Utah. I would highly recommend RCIA at the Cathedral of the Madeleine in SLC. Of course, I’m being partial. :slight_smile: St. John the Baptist Parish in Draper is wonderful also.

utahcatholicdiocese.org/directory/listing_parish.php?sortBy=city

Wherever you live, you can do an internet search by typing Catholic Parish, and then the name of the city.

Please let us know if we can answer any of your questions here. I also have a book recommendation: “Catholicism for Dummies”. And you can read the Catecism of the Catholic Church online at:

scborromeo.org/ccc/ccc_toc.htm

May God bless you in your journey.:heart:

Definately ignore this poster. He just lurks around and makes trouble yet never answers a direct question to his posts. He is not worth anyones time in the forums.

Good advice. Thanks from another Nevadan

I’ve questioned him numerous times. Evidently he’s too busy bridging gaps to answer me.

Hi
Do the Mormons say they are not Christians? Every one has to proclaim his faith himself; not others say about him; that is the norm.
Thanks
I am an Ahmadi – a peaceful faith in Islam bridging gaps between faiths/denominations/religions/agnostics

In between visits to your local parish priest, you can start reading some of the tracts right here on Catholic Answers. They are short, well written, and easy to read. Just go to the home page and look in the “library” on the left hand side. You can also search for articles by topic.

After that I enjoy all the books written by Scott Hahn and Steven Ray. They are both converts.

Good luck and God bless!

:slight_smile:

Mormons are not Christians. It doesn’t matter how many times they repeat the claim… by definition there is just no way they can be considered Christian.

Pray the Memorare:

Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to thy protection, implored thy help, or sought thine intercession was left unaided. Inspired by this confidence, I fly unto thee, O Virgin of virgins, my mother; to thee do I come, before thee I stand, sinful and sorrowful. O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions, but in thy mercy hear and answer me. Amen.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.