Please help,possible employment scam

Last year I was hired as an intern for a wonderful lawyer and her two businesses. She recently merged it with a new partner under a new name. Before the merge she asked me to stay for another “term” and was told after the merge my new boss is considering hiring me on full-time. I am telecommuting so I have not met anyone but have spoken with the new boss.

I was trying to fact-check to write a bio, so I could get it right, for the new boss and found some disturbing things like 5 reports of people being scammed out of pay checks and the companies do not really exist, etc. Nothing is adding up!

Do I tell the old boss who is still involved in the business? Should I just leave for personal reasons? I just feel sick if this is really not legit.

I’d appreciate any advice and prayers!

The best thing to do when there is uncertainty is to document all the work you do and the hours you put in. Also, create a journal recording the basic nature of any phone conversations with the new boss, and write down any promises made. Save your pay stubs too!

When you get your checks, make sure the sum reflect the hours your records show. If there is a discrepancy, bring it up. If its not resolved, bring your records and pay stubs before your state labor board and file a complaint. Hiring an outside attorney may be appropriate to guide you through the process.

Of course, make sure all the work you do is both ethical and legal!

Stick to legal assignments this and document your work, and you will survive if there is a scam in the works. If it gets too fishy, then consider looking for employment elsewhere, so you’ll be somewhere safe when it collapses.

Good luck!

[quote="runningdude, post:2, topic:313446"]
The best thing to do when there is uncertainty is to document all the work you do and the hours you put in. Also, create a journal recording the basic nature of any phone conversations with the new boss, and write down any promises made. Save your pay stubs too!

When you get your checks, make sure the sum reflect the hours your records show. If there is a discrepancy, bring it up. If its not resolved, bring your records and pay stubs before your state labor board and file a complaint. Hiring an outside attorney may be appropriate to guide you through the process.

Of course, make sure all the work you do is both ethical and legal!

Stick to legal assignments this and document your work, and you will survive if there is a scam in the works. If it gets too fishy, then consider looking for employment elsewhere, so you'll be somewhere safe when it collapses.

Good luck!

[/quote]

Thanks! I should have mentioned I am unpaid as of now. I keep searching and none of his impressive claims check out at all...things that would be publicized and easily found. I'd rather not give details but one has to do with military awards when I don't think we were even in combat with anyone and the other not finding his professional certifications (things that are public records).

The worst part is I have a disability and this was the only opportunity I could find :(. I feel so stupid!

I am sorry but this does not seem to be an opportunity. Based only on what you told me I think you are about to get used.

[quote="skigirl1689, post:3, topic:313446"]
Thanks! I should have mentioned I am unpaid as of now. I keep searching and none of his impressive claims check out at all...things that would be publicized and easily found. I'd rather not give details but one has to do with military awards when I don't think we were even in combat with anyone and the other not finding his professional certifications (things that are public records).

The worst part is I have a disability and this was the only opportunity I could find :(. I feel so stupid!

[/quote]

Well, I think you should consult with your previous boss, asking her opinion of the full time opportunity, and try to find other references to the new lawyer's character (former clients, employers, etc.). You should also consider contacting the state bar association directly and inquiring about the new lawyer's license and any disciplinary proceedings.

Apply to other paying jobs in the mean time, to see if a better position can be found to bypass this controversy!

After consulting with my family, I decided to resign. I am under no contract and have found significant evidence of a scam. I am just so upset that I did not catch it earlier and now wonder if my first boss even exists or is a victim as well.

I am backing up all of the correspondence, etc. in case I need it to defend myself in the future.

Thanks for all of the advice!

Telecommuting for an unpaid internship? What are YOU gaining from this experience?

[quote="InigoMontoya, post:7, topic:313446"]
Telecommuting for an unpaid internship? What are YOU gaining from this experience?

[/quote]

I did learn a lot about website creation, writing, editing, marketing. I did gain a lot of experience and how to communicate with people across email and phone, which happens a lot even in an office. So I do not regret the first part of the experience, before the new guy got involved, and I found out he is not who he said he is.

Having physical limitations it is tough to find a work situation that works for my needs.

I'm glad to hear that. I was a bit concerned by telecommuting you'd miss the benefitsof an internship and just be performing free workforce them.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.