PLEASE HELP: Question about Confession

In my last post I talked about how I was going to an appointment but now I cant. So now I have to go next Saturday, so I started making a list and I listed all the sins that I know are 100% mortal sin, and any others that could be. During the day all these sins from months or years ago pop into my head and I have to remember them (I’m scrupulous) so I can add them to my list when I get home. It’s been two days and my list is already four pages. These sins that pop into my head make me stressed and worried that if I don’t write them down I won’t have a good confession. I know to not have a good confession you have to hold back any mortal sins. These venial sins (some are venial because I don’t know if they are mortal) make me stressed HERE IS THE QUESTIONS so is it okay to just forget them and not write them since they are venial or if I don’t know if they are mortal? I’m very very stressed so please please please help!!:slight_smile:

You need professional help from your pastor and a mental health professional. We cannot help you because it is your spiritual director or confessor that must help you alleviate these intrusive thoughts and a mental health professional who must help you with anxiety.

If you have a 4 page list of what you believe to be mortal sins, you need to make an appointment with your priest sooner than later to have him give you guidance. You are definitely exhibiting signs of scrupulosity and these things you are ‘remembering’ are likely not sins at all.

GO TALK TO YOUR PRIEST.

As 1Ke put it, we unfortunately are unable to help you online. Please speak to your pastor as soon as you can. Maybe you can ask him to meet with you sooner than Saturday.

Mary, Mother of God, please help Tripp B to know peace.:gopray:

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee;
Blessed art thou amongst women, and blessed is the Fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of death. Amen.:gopray:

God bless, my friend.

Tripp,
Confession is about asking God’s forgiveness. He judges your heart in confession. The only way you could possibly make a bad confession is if you deliberately (on purpose) withheld confessing a mortal sin. Get help with your scruples before making any kind of list my friend. God knows your heart and he knows you are trying to make a good confession. You need to get a proper handle on your scruples before you can start thinking about what you need to confess.

JMR

You are going to confess your sins to a priest, not to a judge in a court of law. The priest represents Christ Who is all merciful and is sworn to keep your sins secret. If you bring a 4 page list to confession there is a possibility someone ma see it. I never heard of putting your sins in writing.
You commit a mortal sin when you knowingly, with full consent, break one of the 10 Commandments. You can group these sins in your head with an approximate number of times they were committed.
The main thing is to be sorry and try not to commit them again.
Good luck & God Bless you!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.