Please help refute this....Sola scripture vs Roman Catholicism

JonNC;9693798]But Christ doesn’t say that Peter has supreme jurisdiction, or that Peter is only in Rome, or that Peter is infallible (ex cathedra). And neither do the early councils.

Jon

I agree regarding Peter and Rome. Peter is the rock on which Jesus continues to build His church on earth, not just Rome.

Infallibility is nothing more than Jesus’ perpetual guidance…

Ex cathedra are just words adopted by the church to delineate Matthew 16, in my humble opinion…

Like you said, if the east and west re-united, then you would be more open to this idea? :slight_smile:

I now have faith that God continues to guide one church into all truth until the end of time. I also believe that He loves and saves all Christians, regardless of church affiliation.

=joe370;9693826]I agree regarding Peter and Rome. Peter is the rock on which Jesus continues to build His church on earth, not just Rome.

We agree on this, but not have it extends.

Ex cathedra are just words adopted by the church to delineate Matthew 16, in my humble opinion…

Gotcha.

Like you said, if the east and west re-united, then you would be more open to this idea? :slight_smile:

I would have absolutely no choice in the matter.

I now have faith that God continues to guide one church into all truth until the end of time. I also believe that He loves and saves all Christians, regardless of church affiliation

:thumbsup:

Jon

Catholics were before Orthodox, I don’t see how?

=suzyq_psu;9122341]Hello there, I am new to these forums but I am struggling between my faith and that of scripture alone. I keep going back and forth, it’s torturous! Anyways I came upon this, so could you refute it, please? It talks about how the church wasn’t built on Peter also he has other thread talking of how Catholics were pagans turned Christians and that’s where we get most of the rituals.

prorege-forum.com/forum_entry.php?id=11558

FIRST Sola Scriptura is NOT biblically Grounded:o

**2 Cor. 13: 8 **"For we cannot do anything against the truth, but only for the truth.”

Traditions
1 Cor. 11 2: 2
“I commend you because you remember me in everything and maintain the traditions even as I have delivered them to you”

**2 Thess. 2: 13-15 **“But we are bound to give thanks to God always for you, brethren beloved by the Lord, because God chose you from the beginning to be saved, through sanctification by the Spirit and belief in the truth. To this he called you through our gospel, so that you may obtain the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ. So then, brethren, stand firm and hold to the traditions which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter.

2 Thess. 6 Now we command you, brethren, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you keep away from any brother who is living in idleness and not in accord with the tradition that you received from us

CONSIDER these critical facts:

The Bible was not fully authored until the end of the First Century and not widly used in-total for several hundred more years after Christ Death. SO HOW DID THE CHURECH EXIST, GROW, AND EXPAND W/O THE BIBLE?

Many, most if not all proponants of SS don’t even accept there own position as shown above in the TRADITION passages.

Further thaty deny what the Bible clearly, specifically and precisely say’s:
FOR EXAMPLE:

Mt. 16: 17-19 "And Jesus answered him, “Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jona! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father who is in heaven. And I [GOD] tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the powers of death shall not prevail against it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.”

Mt. 28: 16-20 "Now the eleven disciples [APOSTLES] went to Galilee, to the mountain to which Jesus had directed them. And Jesus came and said to them, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. [YOU!] Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,
teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you;”

Or ONLY One Church /One Faith:
John.10: 16 “And I have other sheep, that are not of this fold; I must bring them also, and they will heed my voice. **So there shall be one flock, one shepherd” **

Ps.127:1 “Unless the LORD builds the house, those who build it labor in vain.
Unless the LORD watches over the city, the watchman stays awake in vain”

Eph. 4: 1-7 " There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called to the one hope that belongs to your call, one Lord,*** one faith,*** one baptism, one God and Father of us all, who is above all and through all and in all."

Eph. 2:19-20 “So then you are no longer strangers and sojourners, but you are fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God,[SINGULAR] built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus himself being the cornerstone, in whom the whole structure is joined together and grows into a holy temple in the Lord; in whom you also are built into it for a dwelling place of God in the Spirit.”

Or forgiveness of ALL SINS [the ONLY GOD APPROVED WAY!]
John 20: 21-23 "Jesus said to them again, “Peace be with you. **As the Father has sent me, even so I send you.” **[22] And when he had said this, **he breathed on them, and said to them, "Receive the Holy Spirit. **[23] If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained."

Or the Real Presance in Catholic holy Communion confirmed in:
Mt. 26: 26-28
Mk. 14: 22-24
Lk. 22:19-21
Paul ist >Cor. 11:23-29
and John: 6 51-55 “I am the living bread which came down from heaven; if any one eats of this bread, he will live for ever; and the bread which I shall give for the life of the world is my flesh.” **The Jews then disputed among themselves, saying, “How can this man give us his flesh to eat?” ** not understanding Jesus speaks here of His SOON to Be Risen and Glorified Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity]…[53] So Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink his blood, you have no life in you; [54] he who eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day. For my flesh is food indeed, and my blood is drink indeed. How could our Perfect God be more clear?}

Each of these are put aside with a personal pridefilled philosophy of either knowing more or knowing better than Jesus Himself:eek: 'That may be what it says BUT that is NOT what it means"… rather a weak argument Hey:thumbsup:

So there you go:D

God Bless,
Pat /PJM

One thing you can definitely say is: Jesus’ church was not built on sola scriptura; that much is fact. Sola scriptura was a practice that stemmed from the 16th century reformation, and even Martin Luther was appalled to see so many people abusing it. :eek:

Many Christians belonging to the catholic church were pagans, turned Christian early on. That was a good thing! The catholic church wisely adopted December 25 as the day to commemorate Jesus’ birth. Protestants don’t seem to have a problem with that - right? It was quite smart in my opinion; it made for an easy transition from paganism to Christianity. :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.