Please help to explain today's reading (John 10:31-42)

JOHN 10:31-42

[FONT=Times New Roman]The Jews then picked up stones to throw at him; so Jesus said, "I have openly done many good works among you, which the Father gave me to do. For which of these do you stone me?" The Jews answered, "We are not stoning you for doing a good work, but for insulting God; you are only a man, and you make yourself God." Then Jesus replied, "Is this not written in your law: I said, you are gods? So those who received this word of God were called gods, and the Scripture is always true

. What then should be said of the one anointed, and sent into the world, by the Father? Am I insulting God when I say, `I am the Son of God'? If I am not doing the works of my Father, do not believe me. But if I do them, even if you have no faith in me, believe because of the works I do; and know that the Father is in me, and I in the Father." Again they tried to arrest him, but Jesus escaped from their hands. He went away again to the other side of the Jordan, to the place where John had baptized, and there he stayed. Many people came to Jesus, and said, "John worked no miracles, but he spoke about you, and everything he said was true." And many became believers in that place.
[/FONT]

My questions are:

a) In whose law is it written that we are gods? If it is the law of the Jews, then did Christians inherit it?
b) If the scripture Jesus cites is codified in the Old Testament, would you please direct me to it?

Thanks!

[quote="Miserissima, post:1, topic:319562"]
My questions are:

a) In whose law is it written that we are gods? If it is the law of the Jews, then did Christians inherit it?
b) If the scripture Jesus cites is codified in the Old Testament, would you please direct me to it?

Thanks!

[/quote]

Psalm 82

How long will you defend the unjust and show partiality to the wicked?

Give justice to the weak and the orphan; uphold the rights of the oppressed and the destitute.

Rescue the poor and helpless; deliver them from the grasp of evil people.

"I said, 'You are "gods"; you are all sons of the Most High.

But you like men shall die: and shall fall like one of the princes.

So yes, we inherited that "Law" as much as it is part of Sacred Scripture.

And yes, all the Church Fathers (and in general, Sacred Tradition) agrees that a most extraordinary result of the Incarnation and of life in Christ is that we become partakers of the Divine Nature. Just a few of quotes to show what this implies:

"[T]he Word of God became man, that thou mayest learn from man how man may become God." (Clement of Alexandria)

"[Men] were made like God, free from suffering and death, provided that they kept His commandments, and were deemed deserving of the name of His sons, and yet they, becoming like Adam and Eve, work out death for themselves; let the interpretation of the Psalm be held just as you wish, yet thereby it is demonstrated that all men are deemed worthy of becoming “gods,” and of having power to become sons of the Highest." (Justin Martyr)

"Therefore He was not man, and then became God, but He was God, and then became man, and that to deify us. For He was made man that we might be made God. " (Athanasius of Alexandria)

"For He hath given them power to become the sons of God.'[John 1:12] If we have been made sons of God, we have also been made gods." (Augustine of Hippo)

"Now the gift of grace surpasses every capability of created nature, since it is nothing short of a partaking of the Divine Nature, which exceeds every other nature. ...] For it is as necessary that God alone should deify, bestowing a partaking of the Divine Nature by a participated likeness" (Thomas Aquinas)

"The Word became flesh to make us "partakers of the divine nature": "For this is why the Word became man, and the Son of God became the Son of man: so that man, by entering into communion with the Word and thus receiving divine sonship, might become a son of God." "For the Son of God became man so that we might become God." "The only-begotten Son of God, wanting to make us sharers in his divinity, assumed our nature, so that he, made man, might make men gods." (CCC 460)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.