Please Help....

I am sorry to be a pest. I’ve tried to ask this question already, but I’m afraid I still don’t understand it.

I have read Scott Hahn’s “The Forth Cup” and am now reading this which is much the same:

zuserver2.star.ucl.ac.uk/~vgg/rc/aplgtc/hahn/m5/lmbsp.html

He says the Last Supper is a Passover Seder, but later acknowledges that he was crucified at the same time the Lambs were slaughtered.

How can this be? Am I missing something?:o

I read this somewhere, don’t remember where…

The Jews were actually not in agreement on the exact day of the Passover in 33AD. I guess it was a tricky calculation and there were differing views.

Even the Gospels don’t agree on this - Matthew, Mark, Luke indicate a Passover meal, and John indicates day before the Passover.

The bottom line is that the last supper Passover meal was held at the correct time according to custom A, and Jesus was crucified at the right time according to custom B.

I didn’t explain that well, sorry. If I remember where I read it, I’ll come back and re-post :slight_smile:

Well, you explained it well enough for me to see the point, although, a more thourough explanation would be helpful for the sake of explaining this to someone else.

A friend last night pretty much said what you did (with about the same amount of detail ;)) - she said it is explained in Scott Hahn’s study guide commentary on the Gospel of John (which I did a study on years ago and cannot find my book :frowning: . I’ve been looking online for something but I can’t find anything.

Thank you

See if these will help

interfaithfamily.com/site/apps/nl/content2.asp?c=ekLSK5MLIrG&b=297378&ct=330205

jewsforjudaism.org/web/faq/faq018.html

beliefnet.com/story/74/story_7455_1.html

americancatholic.org/Newsletters/SFS/an0302.asp

Thanks Karen. That last one was particularly interesting.

What I get from this is basically that the seeming inconsistencies in scripture about which day was the passover (the Lords Supper or the crucifixion) are probably there purposely to have us make the connection between the Passover and both events. That makes perfect sense to me, especially in light of what Scott Hahn presents in “The Forth Cup”. He is essentially saying the same thing. It’s a way of presenting a mystery to our finite minds.

Thanks again.

What I get from this is basically that the seeming inconsistencies in scripture about which day was the passover (the Lords Supper or the crucifixion) are probably there purposely to have us make the connection between the Passover and both events.

Based on the information, I think it would definitely be fair to say that that is the interpretation that the church wished to convey, especially as most of the writers were writing to try to make a connection with and convert a Jewish audience.

Given the widespread use among some churches (not sure about Catholic) of having “Christian seders,” I found particularly interesting the info that much of what we associate with the seder today wasn’t practiced at the time. I wish I could find a timeline of the development of the different activities.

Since the Jews give a very different meaning to those parts Christians are redacting, seems a pretty clear indication that they definitely weren’t intended as a foreshadowing of Christianity, at least by the Jews.

If you are interested in learning more about how Jews celebrate Pesach (Passover) try
jewfaq.org/holidaya.htm

angelfire.com/pa2/passover/sephardicandashkenazicpassover.html talks about the differences between seder practices in the Ashkenazic (Eastern European) and Sephardic (Iberian peninsula) Jewish communities.

I have no doubt that Passover was on the Friday night when Jesus was crucified.

I think you are confused about the meal that took place on the Thursday night; You suspect that this is the Passover meal. Well, it wasn’t; They were simply preparing for the Passover by deleavening the location they planned to use for the Feast.

The following link explains this with detail…
users.aristotle.net/~bhuie/po-eat.htm

There is an nice summary of the fundamental ‘problem’ of the chronology of the Last Supper and Passover in the Ignatius Catholic Study Bible Gospel of John (RSV, Ignatius Press), as well as the most credible explanations.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.