Please join me!

Hey everyone, for lent this year I've decided to do a morning fast everyday. No food from midnight until lunchtime. I already do a morning fast on all fridays from all food and drink (except water).

What I am going to try this year is a morning fast from food (drinks ok). I'm asking others to join me in this endeavor. I know for some, it won't be much of a sacrifice... Others it will... (myself for example, I eat breakfast AND snacks before I eat lunch).

Think about it; pray about it!

I've asked friends to do this... I was quite surprised at the response... Everyone was excited at the prospect! I hope I get the same response here!

AdDeum

Ps. I hope I posted this in the right area. I apologize if I didn't.

Not sure I approve because Breakfast is in fact the most important meal of the day. If you really want to fast then why not just have Breakfast then miss the rest of the meals. Causing your body deliberate ill health through fasting at breakfast isn't the idea of how to understand mental suffering how Jesus Suffered. There is no need to make yourself ill no matter how fit you may perceive yourself to be. You are putting others at risk especially if you are driving etc on a morning and your body hasn't had food and it is used to it. Please be aware of how you could cause suffering to others by your responses. Breakfast is underestimated of how important it is. If you are not used to having Breakfast anyway, then it isn't a proper fast then is it. If you are used to having Breakfast then, your body will notice and it what you are to others then that will cause suffering. :thumbsup:

breakfast? what is that?
my winter hours aren't as demanding, so it's only five-four hours before lunch, summer time it can be up 7 hrs before lunch and i still don't eat breadkfast and have been doing this for 20yrs or so. what health effects? none.

Of course, we mustn’t fast to the point of ill health. Our Lady even told the three children at Fatima to go easy on their practices. They had been wearing rough ropes around their waists and offering the suffering up, as reparation. Our Lady said they were losing sleep and to go easy on it.

But if you fast only to the point of being hungry, til noon, you should be okay. If you’re in decent health.

Maybe just have a slice of toast or something.

I have hardly eaten breakfast for years, when you think about it brealfast is not a healthy meal.
Cholesterol fest for americans and british. Eggs,bacon, blood pudding, sausage, all very unhealthy.
When I do eat breakfast it's very light. Porridge, or a wheetabix with fruit and skim milk.

I have a family history of heart attacks, and I have heart trouble myself.

I almost never have breakfast. As akid I never did and was still an A student. Never understood why people are so admant about how necessary it is. I don't buy into that thought.

Because your body needs energy to function and to gain energy is through food though many will have a hot drink of coffee/tea with 3 sugars in it instead of breakfast which does suggest that we all need something to help wake us up… without fuel, it won’t work properly.

You may be suprised to find that if you start eating breakfast, how much more energy you have for the day especially if you eat little and often.

You may find that too if you are overweight and trying to loose it the best thing you can do for yourself is have a hearty breakfast. I am not kidding. I aint going to produce all the stats because stats can back up any argument.

If you start having breakfast, in about a months time you’ll be wondering how you ever managed before. Try it this Lent. all of you, who don’t eat breakfast, try it for this Lent and see how you feel by the end of Lent.

In fact, you are having a kind of breakfast when you think of the definition of break and fast put together… but it kinder to your body if its sooner in the day rather than lunchtime which becomes your breakfast.

I challenge anyone who don’t have breakfast to try having it through Lent and see what happens. :thumbsup:

On Fridays and Saturdays I eat my first meal at 12:30 PM.

So are you suggesting that we take better care of ourselves for Lent?.:slight_smile:
What a great Lenten idea.:thumbsup:

:blush::):thumbsup::slight_smile:

It's too bad I hate eggs and breakfast pork. I like sugar way too much, and I dislike coffee. Tea is for me. caffiene and skim milk and agave syrup for sweetness.

I have a family history of diabetes as well.

Like the idea! Some variations, though, for your perusal....

a.) A fast from before dawn to after sunset, save for liquids. Kinda tough around midday, and again around 4pm. Admittedly, some would say I cheat, due to my consumption of coffee...

b.) Following a somewhat Eastern Orthodox practice, meaning, roughly, abstinence during all of Great Lent from Meat (including fish), Dairy, Alchohol, and Olive Oil. So...one could have oatmeal for breakfast...crackers for lunch....plain salad for dinner....
Takes a lot of thought and preparation, and, can be rather disconcerting to others in the house, especially if they are from a different tradition.

c.) Something somewhere in the middle of the first two, with a strict fast during the Triduum, until one has been communicated at Easter Vigil.

Bottom line...(big revelation here)...the purpose is to learn to control our passions, through self denial, prayer, etc, which, we pray, leads us farther down the path towards theosis.

For those readers who are Eastern Orthodox or Eastern Catholic, accept my apologies for any errant information. For all of us, may Our Lord have mercy on us, and may Our Lady hear our prayers and present them to Her Son.

May you all have many years!

[quote="englishredrose, post:2, topic:313255"]
Not sure I approve because Breakfast is in fact the most important meal of the day. :thumbsup:

[/quote]

I disagree with this. Especially in Western countries mostly all breakfast meal choices are junk.

Real Christian men give up hot water for lent. :D

-Tim-

[quote="dgj23112, post:12, topic:313255"]
Like the idea! Some variations, though, for your perusal....

a.) A fast from before dawn to after sunset, save for liquids. Kinda tough around midday, and again around 4pm. Admittedly, some would say I cheat, due to my consumption of coffee...

b.) Following a somewhat Eastern Orthodox practice, meaning, roughly, abstinence during all of Great Lent from Meat (including fish), Dairy, Alchohol, and Olive Oil. So...one could have oatmeal for breakfast...crackers for lunch....plain salad for dinner....
Takes a lot of thought and preparation, and, can be rather disconcerting to others in the house, especially if they are from a different tradition.

c.) Something somewhere in the middle of the first two, with a strict fast during the Triduum, until one has been communicated at Easter Vigil.

Bottom line...(big revelation here)...the purpose is to learn to control our passions, through self denial, prayer, etc, which, we pray, leads us farther down the path towards theosis.

For those readers who are Eastern Orthodox or Eastern Catholic, accept my apologies for any errant information. For all of us, may Our Lord have mercy on us, and may Our Lady hear our prayers and present them to Her Son.

May you all have many years!

[/quote]

I knew that the Eastern Churches... their fasting/abstinance requirements were much more strict than in the west. Didn't know exactly what was required though.... I've always kinda felt like our requirements here in the west were kinda lax. That's part of the reason I chose to do this. Sure, everybody "gives up something (chocolate/sweets) for lent". I don't think that is required... so much as a custom that has kinda taken off. That's good. But, I wanted to do something more this year. Next year? maybe even more! My thoughts are... I'm not trying to do something easy!:)

If you think you can do this (your suggestions), that's awesome! I will consider doing more than what I was originally intending as well.

[quote="TimothyH, post:14, topic:313255"]
Real Christian men give up hot water for lent. :D

-Tim-

[/quote]

Ha! I think I might have done this before.... albeit not by choice! When I was in the Marine Corps, I did a 6 month float on ship. It seems like everyday was a cold shower!

[quote="AdDeum, post:16, topic:313255"]
Ha! I think I might have done this before.... albeit not by choice! When I was in the Marine Corps, I did a 6 month float on ship. It seems like everyday was a cold shower!

[/quote]

I'll never do it again. Morning showers are brutal. :snowing:

For the record, I am in favor of breakfast.

-Tim-

[quote="1571, post:13, topic:313255"]
I disagree with this. Especially in Western countries mostly all breakfast meal choices are junk.

[/quote]

Okay so a lot eat junk but that is because of false advertising helping them to think its healthy when it not. Breafast is the first meal of the day whether you call it lunch or bruch is irrelevent because of the meaning that you are breaking from the fast. A lot of people are suckers for poor advertising but that is better than hot drink with sugar till lunch time.

and as you have suggested it about choice. It doesn't have to be about junk but junk is better than starving yourself and making lunch become your break from the fast.:thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.