Please need help to get un-addicted from Netflix

Hello.

Can’t seem to stop watching Netflix. I sit there in front of our large TV screen and watch episode after episode when I’m not working. I’m scared to stop this bad habit.

I’ve returned to school in the past two years, am in the process of changing jobs, have a history of food and emotional addiction, and a very long history of depression. I’m 57 years old.

I need some help and support in making better use of my time and the energy to do so.

Any constructive, kind, and supportive replies consistent with the true Catholic faith are appreciated.

Hello,

Quick and simple solution would be to cancel the Netflix subscription. If you have an addictive personality, you could then find something more constructive and productive that satisfies you emotionally, psychologically, physically and spiritually.

Other less extreme options could be to limit yourself to a set amount of time per day that is less than what you currently do. So, say you spend 8 hours a day watching Netflix, so cut it down so you’re only going to do 4 hrs…then eventually cut it down to 2, then to 1hr. Set a timer on your phone or an egg timer.

I think the important thing is to find something that is good to replace that time with, such as reading books of a spiritual nature to grow your faith, or praying the rosary or some other devotion. You could also commit to praying a decade between episodes to initially help you start to break the habit.

Small steps. Hope this helps. God bless!

-dje101

Don’t renew your subscription and take up jigsaw puzzles, word searches, soduku, and other things tat occupy a brain that takes a while to slow down.
I’m one of those people that always has to be doing SOMETHING. These others things fill he time, and help me to get sleepy. You could also go to an Adoration chapel for an hour.
The cool evening air there and back is very nice besides for the spiritual benefit.

crenfro.

Go to Confession every week.

Keep confessing time wasting and acedia.

You will get graces this way that otherwise would not be available to you.

Spend an hour a week in Eucharistic Adoration too.

And one other thing. (This will seem unrelated, but later you will understand)

Make sure you are tithing your income.

God bless.

Cathoholic

I’ll will be praying for you too crenfro.

Reach out to the Church to sponsor someone for the upcoming RCIA year. (or if the new population is all set with sponsors, ask to be involved / sit in on the meetings)

Now your mind is not only elsewhere, but in a good place.

Obviously, as above, not buying a product stunts it’s ability to hold you down.

But finding new things to do can make habits less habitual.

There are many more ministry options than RCIA…just ask! Just go cold turkey…painful, but effective. Good Luck in your quest for freedom!

Begin praying a daily rosary if you’re not already. Pray it for the intenetion of growing in the virtue of temperance/moderation/self-control.

I went through a season of life like you are describing. It was at a point in my life when I needed to mentally escape my surroundings. I sued the TV to numb me. If that is the case for you, begin to think about how (if possible) you can start to change what it is you are trying to mentally escape from. Make a very small goal towards that end and set out to do it.

For the sake of Jesus’ sorrowful passion, have mercy on crenfro, and on the whole world. Amen. :signofcross:

After prayer, have you considered an accountability partner? Have someone close to you change your Netflix password and only unlock it for you a certain amount of times per week.

Limiting the amount of time you watch is a good idea.

I never understood the attraction of binge watching. I do one episode of series per week and turn it off.

Hello again. Thank you so much for the replies.

I cancelled Netflix just 30 seconds ago, after I read your replies. I’m scared of what will happen. I feel so low so often. The subscription will end on July 27.

Started thinking about all the cute stuffed animals I need to sew, the gym time I’m missing, the bicycling I’m missing, the writing I’m not doing, and adoration I’m not going to, but it doesn’t feel like things like that matter, even though I know this isn’t so.

I used to go to Adoration every week but since I returned to school I’ve quit doing that. It’s so easy for me to get caught up in bad habits like wasting time with things like this Netflix.

Any other further support is greatly appreciated.

Crenfro,

See, you havw a lot of interestings things waiting on your plate. i understand what you say about wasting time even if you did not mean to. In my experience, i think I procrastinate and waste time due to some anxiety. Other people cope in different ways, like nail biting, addictions to alcohol or sex, shopping, binge eating,etc. Like what others said, I strongly recommend making it a habit to pray the Rosary daily, if you are not doing it yet.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.