Please pray for former President George W. Bush

According to the latest edition of the National Enquirer( www.nationalenquirer.co.uk, March 4, 2013), former US President George W.Bush is apparently in the early stages of Alzheimer’s Disease( which would explain why he has not only not attended last year’s Republican Party Convention in Tampa, Florida, but has reportedly begun to paint portraits of himself in the nude and started showing signs of forgetfulness such as forgetting John Kerry was his opponent in the 2004 elections and calling Hurricane Katrina, “Hurricane Kate”).

True, the Enquirer is hardly the most reliable newspaper around, but given that the Bush family has NOT expressly denied the claim( any more than it has admitted it in so many words), and I myself am no fan of “Dubya’s” policies when in office, I am reminded of St.Paul’s observation that “without charity I become an empty gong sounding, even though I can move mountains”, please pray for the former Chief Executive’s welfare if not through your own patron saints , then through the following: Venerable Pierre Toussaint, Venerable Matt Talbot, Venerable Margaret Sinclair, Blessed Francis Xavier Seelos, Blessed John Paul II, the Blessed Martyrs of Nowogrodek, the 108 beatified Polish Martyrs of WWII, SS Priscilla, Felicity and Perpetua, Maximilian Kolbe and Marianne of Molokai.

Terry

I had not heard that. I will pray for him.

It bothers me that you are using a very unreliable news source for your post. This is bordering on gossip.

I don’t know if you are aware of this, but George H.W. Bush has been quite ill for some time now and is still recuperating from his lengthy hospital stay. George W. has chosen to remain close to his parents during all of this health crisis. The family as a whole skipped all the Republican Convention and the inauguration for that reason.

And on another note, have you seen the paintings? I wouldn’t actually call them “nudes.”

If they “expressly deny the claim,” they give even more publicity to this scummy rag. Just as you’ve done here. Many famous people who are gone after by these types just ignore it, for that very reason.

Besides, if they deny it, someone will start saying “there must be something to it if the Bush’s are talking about it.” D***ed if you do, d***ed if you don’t. Why on earth you even read that thing is beyond me.

My goodness, people. The OP could have gotten this information in many ways besides actually reading the rag. Let’s not kill the messenger for sharing something he has heard. We can pray for all past presidents and let it go at that.

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
the Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb,
Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

When I tried to go to that link, my filter flagged it as “Suspicious”. Ironic, given the fact that magazine’s just another celebrity rag.

A quick search reveals only one serious news source that mentions the paintings, and doesn’t mention alzheimers at all.

Another rag though, The Globe, has it as a front page story. At the top of the page is the headline “The Pope : Weeks To Live!”…

I agree, not a good magazine to read. However, let us all pray for him since we know he has been ill lately. :signofcross:

My father was the editor of a “large east coast” newspaper. He told me many years ago to never use a newspaper as a primary source. I would extend that to today’s internet as well. I’ve always prayed for President Bush (both of them).:gopray2:

This is actually the point. Anybody can do a google search and get umpteen “sources” for information, but none of them may be reliable. All the supposed stories about Pope Benedict resigning is proof of that, but that doesn’t mean we should give attention to every rag out there that wants to print a false story.

Of course we should pray for our nation’s leaders, past and present. But we shouldn’t give attention to gossip and rumors. I think we have a duty to correct the misinformed.

I’ll pray for the Bush family.

And the National Enquirer. God bless.

If this were true, it would have reached the mainstream press by now. Nevertheless, I will pray for the Bush family, including prayers for their conversion.

Praying…

Well, whether this is true or gossip,
I will pray for both of the George Bushes.

I disagree- the US mainstream press has a long and ignoble tradition of turning a blind eye to the less than flattering aspects of Presidents( current and former)- remember how back in the day, Washington correspondents refused to print pictures of FDR in his wheelchair( not to mention comment on extramarital affairs of his as well as those of his successors such as JFK, LBJ and possibly Bill Clinton)?

Terry

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
the Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb,
Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners
now,
and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.