Please pray for me and for others who are doubting teachings of the Church

Please pray for me and for others who are experiencing doubts about Church teaching.

Also, I am sorry for anything I have said on the forums that might have offended anyone or reflected anyone’s own doubts. My intentions for posting and questioning are always so that I may understand and grow in my faith- but I am truly sorry if it doesn’t come across that way.

Oh my God, please forgive me for doubting you and your Church- especially when you have shown me such grace and blessings. You welcomed me with open arms at a time when I was actively hurting You and those I love. Please forgive me for repaying Your extraordinary love and mercy with doubt.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou among women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen.

Remember oh most gracious Virgin Mary that never was it known that anyone who fled to thy protection, implored thy help, or sought thine intercession was left unaided. Inspired with this confidence I fly unto thee oh Virgin of virgins, my Mother. To thee I come, before thee I stand, sinful and sorrowful. Oh Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions but in thy mercy hear and answer me. Amen.

Saint Michael the Archangel defend us in battle, be our safeguard against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him we humbly pray and do thou oh prince of the heavenly host by the power of God, cast into Hell Satan and all the evil spirits who prowl about the world seeking the ruin of souls. Amen.

Our Father who art in Heaven, hallowed be Thy name. Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done on earth as it is in Heaven. Give us this day our daily bread and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us and lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil. Amen.

I recommed you to the Blessed Virgin Mary. May she help you never to wilfully doubt the teachings of the Church. May she help you to dismiss all doubts and give you the deepst faith. May you know the fulness of truth and always give you assent to it. Amen.

I am praying.

Doubts are part of faith…

Memorare (Prayer to Our Lady)
Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to your protection, implored your help, or sought your intercession, was left unaided.
Inspired by this confidence, I fly unto you, O Virgin of virgins, my Mother. To you do I come, before you I stand, sinful and sorrowful. O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions, but in your mercy, hear and answer me. Amen

May God bless you in your quest for truth. Jesus is God and the Catholic Church is His true Church. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for PenitentGrace. Love Jesus and Our Lady with all your heart and soul. +JMJ+

You could try reading the First Letter of John in the New Testament. That letter says that there are really only two commandments. Here they are.

1 John 3:23: “And this is his command: to believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ, and to love one another as he commanded us.”

I’d recommend reading the whole letter. It is really quite short.

At one point Jesus Himself boiled His teaching down to two commandments:

Matthew 22:36-40
Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”
Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

St. Paul said that love is more important than faith: 1 Corinthians 13:13 “And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.”

There’s no need to get bogged down in all sort of doctrinal things. We are not saved by holding in our minds the perfect doctrines.

We gain blessing from God by imitating God in what we actually DO.

God is offers nothing but light, mercy and love to human beings. When you offer light, mercy and love to your fellow human being, you will get God’s blessings. The “Our Father” prayer directly says that God will forgive our sins if we forgive the sins of others against us.

Do you doubt that is is good to be loving, kind, just, fair, decent with neighbors, strangers, and even enemies? I doubt it. Are feeling like becoming like Adolf Hitler, Hugh Heftner, Larry Flint, or Ayn Rand and spread hatred, disrespect, and callousness in the world? I doubt it.

So don’t worry about doctrinal details. Don’t deny things. Just don’t focus on things you find you tend to doubt. Suppose you wonder about praying to Mary. Then don’t pray to Mary. St. Paul himself never prayed to any deceased human being. So such things are not necessary. Maybe you have doubts about certain aspects of the Catholic teaching on the Mass. Don’t worry about it. Some early Church Fathers held views on the Mass, the Trinity and other things that later on, hundreds of years later, were decreed to be heretical.

Some people waste gigantic amounts of time in their live trying to believe things, prove things, and argue things in the realm of religion. I don’t think that is what Jesus wants, as can be seen by what is written in the New Testament. We are not saved by being 100% orthodox in our beliefs.

In the past, the Catholic Church leaders did like heretics to be burned alive. But those days are gone. Catholics don’t do this anymore, or believe that orthodoxy is that important. The current pope publicly gave Holy Communion at Mass to a Protestant on at least one occasion (Brother Roger Schultz of the ecumenical Taize community on April 8, 2005).

We are saved by putting our trust in Jesus and by loving our neighbors as ourselves. Focus on trying to more and more trust JESUS and more and more to love one’s NEIGHBORS. Don’t get bogged down doctrines.

Don’t deny. Don’t argue. Don’t debate. Just don’t focus on what tends to stir up doubts inside you.

You have many things to think about. There is no rule in Catholicism that you must debate and think about religious doctrine 24/7, even if that is what some Catholics want us to do, since that is how they make money or draw attention to themselves.

Don’t think that if you switched to some other church or religion, or left religion altogether, that your doubts would go away. No, that won’t work either! We are here in this life and this world, and we are always going to wonder. But we must make decisions. Life is in session. This is no dress rehearsal. The clock of life is always ticking. There are no do-overs! Every day is a unique gift from God.

We must act. We must make up our minds about some basic things. So, go with Jesus. Go with love of neighbor. You can’t go wrong with that.

Thank you Bartolome! I will definitely read the First Letter of John as you suggest. Thank you for all your advice- I feel like I needed to be reminded of everything you said. Thank you very much for taking the time.

Thank you also to everyone who is praying. I sincerely appreciate it!

O Heart of Jesus, I place all my trust in You, hoping for all things from Your goodness. You make a root flourish beneath the soil and You can make fruitful the darkness in which I find myself today. I adore You in all Your purposes even without knowing them; Your will be done, not mine. May I be patient! It is so difficult to realize that these trials, heartbreaking as they are, can be turned into blessings. Lord give me peace of mind, peace of heart, and peace of soul, as I offer You my thoughts, my words, and my actions, and yes, Lord, my sufferings. May they all be for Your greater glory. Amen.

Memorare (Prayer to Our Lady)
Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to your protection, implored your help, or sought your intercession, was left unaided.
Inspired by this confidence, I fly unto you, O Virgin of virgins, my Mother. To you do I come, before you I stand, sinful and sorrowful. O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions, but in your mercy, hear and answer me. Amen

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.