Please pray for me as I go into RCIA

I’ve been on these boards since June and made the step today of contacting the nearby parish and getting enlisted in the upcoming RCIA classes in the late summer. I’m going into my upper twenties and temporarily moved back into my parents’ place while working on my masters and am currently pursuing an assistant position that will work my way up until a full-time position once my degree is complete, but for the time being, I’m holed up in the upstairs of my parents’ place to avoid spending unnecessary money (I’m a frugal guy, but I really wonder if it was worth it). This has ended up being a stumbling block in my candidacy because frankly I’d strongly have preferred to make the entrance into Catholicism once I was back into a place of my own, but I knew it would be wrong to delay because of that reason. My conversion is happening right now. I have no Catholic friends or family, and my dad happens to be an elder at his church, so I’m quite unsure how this is all going to blow over with them. My mother will probably handle it decently, but I distinctly remember my dad referring to Catholics as “the Pharisees” at one time. gulp

Please pray for my courage and that I have both charity & shrewdness in confronting whatever challenges this may bring.

Our Father, who art in Heaven,
Hallowed be thy name. Thy Kingdom come, thy will be done,
On earth as it is in Heaven.

Give us this day our daily bread,
And forgive us our trespasses,
As we forgive those who trespass against us,
And lead us not into temptation,
But deliver us from evil.

Lord be with TK421 on this journey through the RCIA program and through the changes and challenges in his life. Please bring your peace to the family and your joy to their hearts.

Amen.

My dear brother in Christ,

I too am a convert. My family also are not Catholic. My dad especially was anti-Catholic. I prayed and told them I was taking “classes” to look into the Catholic faith, explaining that you did not have to convert in the end unless you were convinced but a good way to learn. As we are an educationally minded family they accepted this. By the end I told my Dad I had decided to become Catholic and the only response was “Yes, I thought you would be.” He said it was my decision and although it wasn’t for him he accepted this. (totally opposite to what I expected him to say!) A week after I told him my dad passed away. I was glad I had the chance to tell him and also to know he was ok with me converting. Prayer is important I know. Show your parents respect regardless of their reaction and let them know you are still Christian then start learning more about the Catholic faith and apologetics should you be asked questions. Don’t push your points, just be willing to lovingly share the Catholic faith as God opens doors. The Catholic faith is sooooooo misunderstood by many Protestant faiths. It is so deep and beautiful! God has led you on the right path :slight_smile: My prayers for you and your family.

Blessings in Him,
mlz

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit
of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of death
Amen.

St. Jude, pray for TK420!

May you FEEL the love that surrounds you as you take these steps toward the place that you are being called - We welcome you - we encourage you - we support you - and honestly your journey is a blessing to all of us as well! :hug3:

Praying for you! :thumbsup:

Let us known when you have “big days” for extra prayer.

Glad you’re doing the classes, I got a lot out of them.

**May God be extra close to you on your journey home.

Holy Mother, please intercede for us.
Hold the sorrowful, strengthen the fearful,
give aid to all needing help or healing,
assist those who are sick, in pain or suffering,
be with those needing peace, console the lonely,
comfort the lost or hopeless, guard the unborn,
pray for those who are dying or who have died,
soften those with hardened hearts,
enlighten those who do not yet see truth,
help us be brave enough to let our hurt and anger go,
show us the way to do the right thing,
protect those who are in danger, and guide us from every evil;
may all who keep your sacred commemoration
experience the might of your assistance.
Amen **

God Bless You Brother!

As I went through RCIA this past year I can only say it was probably the best thing I’ve done, I have met some great Catholics in my Parish and feel at home now but I’m still new to the faith and am still finding my way.
I prayed for you.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.

Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb Jesus.

Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.

Amen.

Our Father who art in Heaven, hallowed be thy name.

Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven.

Give us this day our daily bread.

And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.

And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.

Amen.

REMEMBER, O most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to thy protection, implored thy help, or sought thy intercession was left unaided. Inspired with this confidence, I fly to thee, O Virgin of virgins, my Mother; to thee do I come; before thee I stand, sinful and sorrowful. O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions, but in thy mercy hear and answer me. Amen.

May you have a fantastic teacher. God Bless.

:gopray:

Our Father, Who art in heaven
Hallowed be Your Name
Thy kingdom come,
Thy will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread,
and forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who trespass against us;
and lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.
For Thine is the Kingdom
and the Power
and the Glory for ever and ever.
Amen.

Ave Maria, gratia plena,
Dominus tecum,
benedicta tu in mulieribus,
et benedictus fructus ventris tui Iesus.
Sancta Maria mater Dei,
ora pro nobis peccatoribus, nunc, et in hora mortis nostrae.
Amen

:gopray:

Thank you :o

Lord Jesus Christ, I believe in You as my God and my Saviour. Make me more faithful to Your Gospel and commandments. By sharing in the Eucharist, may I come to live more fully in the life You have given me. Keep Your Love alive within my heart and soul so that I may become worthy of You. Teach me to value and be thankful for all of Your Gifts. Help us to strive for eternal life.

Source: catholic.org/prayers/prayer.php?p=1947

Blessed John Paul II, pray for us.
Blessed John Henry Newman, pray for us.
Saint Josemaria Escriva, pray for us.
Saint Francis de Sales, pray for us.
Saint Ignatius Loyola, pray for us.
Pope Saint Pius the Tenth, pray for us

Salus Animarum Suprema Lex! - The Salvation of Souls is the highest law.
instaurare omnia in christo - To restore all things in Christ. (Ephesians 1:10)

Welcome home from a fellow convert.

We come to you, O blessed Joseph, in our distress. Having sought the aid of your most blessed spouse, we now confidently implore your assistance also.

We humbly beg that, mindful of the affection which bound you to the Immaculate Virgin Mother of God, and of the fatherly love with which you cherished the Child Jesus,
you will lovingly watch over the heritage which Jesus Christ purchased with His blood,
and by your powerful intercession help us in our urgent need.

Prudent guardian of the Holy Family, protect the chosen people of Jesus Christ;
drive far from us, most loving father, every pest of error and corrupting sin.

From your place in heaven, most powerful protector, graciously come to our aid
in this conflict with the powers of darkness, and as of old you delivered the Child Jesus
from danger of death, so now defend the holy Church from the snares of the enemy
and from all adversity.

Extend to each one of us your continual protection, that, led on by your example,
and borne up by your strength, we may be able to live and die in holiness
and obtain everlasting happiness in heaven.

Amen

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed are thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb Jesus.

Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.

Amen.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed are thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb Jesus.

Amen.

Amen.

Well I figure it’s time to update this. RCIA is beginning in another 2 weeks or so and I have my first appointment with the priest this upcoming Monday morning. My mom asked me about if I was going to church tomorrow (usually I’m scheduled to work Sunday mornings, up until I recently requested to have off) and I told her I was working. Then after 5 minutes of anxious pacing I went back and explained to her that I was converting to the Catholic Church and that I would be going to Mass from now on. I avoided hammering her with an academic lecture and just told her that I believed it was the church Jesus Christ established, and she was very accepting and happy that I was going to a church (I had not being going anywhere in the past many months while I was in a state of spiritual upheaval, and I never opened up with anybody about it). Her view on the matter was that they (Catholics) believe that Jesus is God’s Son and that’s what really matters. I just nodded my head and left it alone at that for the moment. She’s the only one that knows for the moment and I suppose it’s a much better reaction than a lot of people get.

As I previously mentioned, I ditched my old group of friends some time ago and am also in the middle of a career crisis as I’m no longer certain what I should be doing after I complete graduate studies. I’ve been struggling deeply with anxiety from being so heavily isolated, and somehow in spite of all my current weakness, my heart has risked becoming proud as a result of undergoing conversion. Haughtily proud.

Please continue to pray for me that I have a clean and humble heart. I share the same vice that Satan had/has, and I do not want to estrange myself from my loved ones anymore than I have to.

I will update this sometimes later when appropriate.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.