Please pray for me. I was recently a victim of a crime

Hello everyone. I was recently robbed while traveling through Europe. I am now suffering under post-traumatic stress disorder - getting flashbacks, not sleeping and eating well, developing paranoia and hypervigilance. It has especially been difficult for me to get up each day because of extreme depression and guilt (blaming myself for what happened).

I am a teacher and I always want to give the best of myself to my students, but at the moment I feel like I have lost it. School is starting soon and I would really appreciate it if you would pray over me so I can get through this difficult moment in my life.

I am well aware of what you feel.
I would say that prayer and meditation are good for you.
I recommend that you do not avoid the thoughts of happened. If you throw them apart they will come back stronger.
You tend to want to get rid of it, for they make you suffer. But better suffer now than during classes.
Do what hey call now “biofeedback”. See the net for the term. It is done with machines as you see but can done on your own. that is what it is called meditation.7
I will give an example so that you understand better.
Suppose that you have phobia of snakes. Everybody does, but your case is very bad, you see snakes everywhere.
So, you think on snakes and all your body muscles will stress. As they stress your hormones will fire, mainly the supra-kidneys( english good?) and adrenaline swamps your body, you have a reaction of flee/fight but there are no snakes around, so you cannot dissipate your energy, like if you were running away from the snake.
Now meditation and BFback.
Sit in a comfortable position and set a shor times (10m) to see your reactions.

1. Now bring the image of the snake into your mind. Your Body Fires up.
    2 . BUT, you relax the muscles, one by one, chin, eyes, left should, right shoulder, every finger of every hand, chest, back, abdomen, back (???), calves (???), legs, feet and toes. Go again and relax moer muscles. Trice, go again and relax more.
  2. Bring again the snake…
  3. repeat #2

I say 10 minutes so that you wont become exhausted. Do this everyday and slowly set the time for 15,20.25.30 minutes.

Effects: as your body relaxes in front of the danger, as you teach you body that “thinking in a snake it is not confronting a snake”, then the body learns the trick and relaxes and slowly, it is not that the thoughts disappear but when they come they no harm to you, you hormones do not fire up.

By the way, "post-traumatic stress disorder " is just "post-traumatic stress disorder ", Ok? Do not make it a "post-traumatic stress disorder " and a snowball …

If you need any explanation or have any doubt you may send an email to me, send a private message or post here in the Forum.

GBY

Most High God, spare us from violence; and the repercussions on our being. There are professional criminals who are seasoned in their art. Bring us awareness and prevention most of all. Bring us healing and restoration. You can marshal the Holy Angels to protect us; and minister to us in our need. Do send the Heavenly Hosts, and bring Christ’s peace, and convert the thieves and predators before they bring harm upon us and our loved ones. You counseled Saint Gertrude to pray for the conversion of the thieves who robbed her convent when she was calling down Your wrath upon them. So we pray for their conversion, renewed hearts and minds, bodies and souls. Let not one soul be lost, and that includes our own as we struggle with the aftermath. Pour out Your blessings of mercy and grace from Heaven’s gate upon us and make all negative events decided positives in Your miraculous providence. Thanks. AMEN

I can relate with your situation in a way-in 2008, when I was in Germany for my 2-weeks annual tour with the reserves, my bank contacted me because someone hacked into my account. Being so far away from home (SC), I felt so vulnerable and violated. The bank closed my debit card and sent another one, again-it happened 2 more times over the next 4 months. I finally had to tell the bank to close my checking acct and open a new checking acct. I am with a different bank now and the said that had that happened had I been with them, they would have automatically closed my checking account and debit card, not just the debit card. It was a horrible experience and to this very day, I am still afraid of the other shoe falling again. I went 3 yrs by the way without a debit card being that I associated it with being at risk of hacking. No-I wasn’t directly robbed yet robbed just the same. It threw my whole life into a tail spin. When I was in Japan 2 months ago, I was afraid to spend anything and lived frugally in that 2-wk time frame being that I was having a little flash-backs of 2008. Believe me, the robbers take more than your money, they take your whole peace of mind. What a horrible situation to be in-and I am so sorry that you had to go through that. There are many people out there either through greed or hard times wanting to hurt others and take something that doesn’t belong to them. You will weather this storm yet the scars will remain-your whole trust in humanity has been tarnished by a few individuals who steal. My suggestion: turn to God in your faith, give all of this to God, pray to the Blessed Mary for strength and peace of mind, and just give it all to them-don’t carry the burden alone. Your students need you to be there for them-and maybe even by your experience, other students may take heart when times are tough for them remembering what you had been through. I wish this had not happened to you-I am just happy that you are alive and here to share your experience. Hugs…:hug3:

The best thing you can do is realize that God is in control. God allows certain things to happen for a reason. God has not abandoned you. There is only so much we can control. We have to leave everything else up to him.

I was actually robbed at gunpoint. Surprisingly I did not develop post-traumatic stress disorder from that. But I did develop PTSD from something else. Everyone is affected by things differently.

I was near the World Trade Center on 9/11 and I thought I was going to die. I was covered with debris and felt that I was buried. Because of this I am slightly claustrophobic.

A few months after 9/11 I started to get panic attacks. I didn’t know that’s what they were. I thought that I had inhaled debris and was having problems breathing. Once I discovered it was mental, I was ready to do battle.

During the months after 9/11, I was doing my pagan thing, so I used a chant from the Dune series about fear that helped to calm me completely and got rid of the panic attacks.

However, at that time, I didn’t know about the Jesus Prayer. I think it might help in this situation.

Anytime you start to feel troubled or you feel you cannot sleep, just say to yourself or in your head, “Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy upon me, a sinner.” Each time you say it, imagine that our Lord is nearer and nearer to you. Do not just say it mechanically. So when you start to feel anxious or can’t breathe, or can’t sleep, repeat:

**Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy upon me, a sinner. **

Lord, please help your child to get through this and give peace.

Amen.

Praying for your intentions….

Lord Jesus, You have said, “Learn from me, for I am meek and humble of heart.” With confidence in Your loving heart which offers rest to weary souls, we come to You in this time of special need. In Your unfailing love, read the prayer that is written on our hearts, and grant the grace that we ask of You, in accordance with Your holy will. In Your name we pray. Amen.

Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to thy protection, implored thy help, and sought thy intercession, was left unaided. Inspired with this confidence, I fly unto thee, O Virgin of virgins, my Mother, to thee I come, before thee I stand sinful and sorrowful. O Mother of the Word Incarnate! Despise not my petitions, but, in thy mercy, hear and answer me. Amen.

Praying. I was pickpocketed in Milan many years ago. I got over it quickly and moved on. Don’t let this make a major impact on you. Try to move on.

:gopray2:Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou among women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen.:gopray:

Our Father, Who art in heaven,
Hallowed be Thy Name.
Thy Kingdom come.
Thy Will be done, on earth as it is in Heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.

Amen.

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit
of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of death.

Amen.

Glory be to the Father,
and to the Son,
and to the Holy Spirit.
As it was in the beginning,
is now,
and ever shall be,
world without end.

Amen.

May the Lord help you get over this hard and difficult time in your life. I will pray, for you, an Our Father. :highprayer:

May our Lord grant you healing and peace. May you find strength and healing from receiving Jesus in the sacraments. May you trust completely in the Lord in times of trial. Amen.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.