Please pray for me

If you could, please keep me in your prayers. I started having some dental problems over the weekend and am not looking forward to my appointment on Thursday. Haven’t been to a dentist in years. I’m trying my best to let go and let God take care of things. Unfortunately, I have a habit of not handling pain or illness very well. I either tend to ignore it for so long that I make things worse, or to overreact to something fairly minor and just shut down like the world is ending. (You can probably guess if you didn’t know it that I’m a guy.)

Anyway, I’d be grateful for your prayers, particularly for healing but more immediately so that I do not get completely upset and freak out. And naturally I am keeping the prayer requests of those who use this board in my prayers as well. Thanks.:slight_smile:

Remembering you in my prayers.

Thank you!

Praying for you.God bless you Peace. When you are in the dentist office, meditate on the Passion of Our Lord. He was in the hands of those who wanted to do him harm. The dentist does not want to harm you. The dentist and staff are there to help you.

Offer your sufferings up to the Blessed Mother and ask her to enfold you in her Immaculate Heart. Instead of dread, look forward to this as an opportunity to practice your faith, in this situation.

I was in a similar situation a few years ago. I let the dentist do what needed to be done,then started using a “Waterpic” once a day and started brushing a few more times a day and now have no more problems.When I go to the dentist now twice a year,it’s no big deal and they are very happy with the progress I made.

It may not be easy;but, you can do it.:thumbsup:

Thanks Jim! Those are some very solid ideas, I appreciate it.

Hail Mary full of grace
The Lord is with thee
Blessed are thou among women
And blessed is the fruit of thy womb Jesus.
Holy Mary mother of God
Pray for us sinners,
now and at the hour of our death.
Amen

Like handyman jim, I offer up “dental sufferings in the chair” for the Poor Souls in purgatory and say “Hail Marys” when I feel the need. It really does help you to be calm, as an added bonus, and when you’re calm, I think that helps manage the pain/discomfort aspect. And I’m female.
:slight_smile:

Thanks so much for the prayers! You’re absolutely right, and certainly this has caused me to really refocus on God in a way I had not been able to do for some time now, even with being involved with my parish, etc. Thanks and God bless!

Dret, I too at on time feared to go to the dentist. I explained to him how I felt and he told me to tell him to stop. Hewould stop for a few minutes and would
begin again. Thank God by him doing this I got through it,SOexplain to him just how you feel. In the meantime I will be praying for you,
grandma glor

God grant you courage, and may He help you to overcome your nerves and tendency to procrastinate when you need immediate care. You wouldn’t do that to anyone else, so God give you rightful love for yourself not to do it to yourself…“Love others as you love yourself.”

I like you wry honesty and humour! :slight_smile:
God bless and help you, eg to find ways of distracting your mind from dwelling on anxieties. Like the 90 year old man…"I’ve had a lot of worries in my life…and most of them never happened"
Trishie

Thank you Grandma Glor and Trishie, those are both very good ideas /ways of looking at this, and I am grateful for your prayers! Having pain and being ill really forces us to slow down and reject a lot of things that aren’t really important, and to renew and deepen our relationship with God. Not to mention making frequent calls over to the Communion of Saints!

Thank you again, hopefully this work day will go okay.

Remember, o Most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to thy protection, asked thy help, or sought thy intercession was left unaided. Inspired with this confidence, I fly unto thee o Virgin of Virgins, my Mother. To thee I come. before thee I stand, sinful and sorrowful. O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions, but in thy mercy hear and answer me. Amen.

Dret, I was in the same situation for 30 years. I was scared to death. I finally went at my girlfriend, now wife, urging. I had a crown put on and now I am fine. They have made amazing strides in technology in the last few years.

The times of Dustin Hoffman being in the chair being tortured by a Nazi dentist are over (well, maybe not in Gitmo) (humor to lighten the situation, everybody calm down)

Hail Mary…

+JMJTJ+

Dear Dret,
I feel for you, having been there myself at one time.
The others have given you fine advice; I have nothing to add.
Thank you for your prayers; you will be in mine daily.
All will be well with God’s grace :smiley:

Hail Mary Full of Grace
The Lord is with Thee
Blessed art thou among women
Blessed is the fruit of thy womb
Jesus
Holy Mary mother of God
Pray for us sinners now
and at the hour of our death.
Amen

Thanks Johez, Gail, Ted, and Betra, I really appreciate the prayers and support. Thank you!

Just to update you, the pain has intensified and I called the dentist to move up the appointment to tomorrow (Wednesday). They were very nice and got me the first appointment in the morning. I just have to get through tonight, now. I told one of my bosses at work and she sent me home early so I am here at home now and trying to just get through this as best I can.

Thank you again to everyone for your prayers, please pray for me that I can continue to bear this cross.

Oh you poor guy! :frowning:
Relief is on the way; hang in there!
I will be praying for you.

Thank you Gail, I really appreciate it. Please know I am also thinking of you and the other posters to the forums in my own prayers.

I will also pray for you.
grandma glor

Thanks very much Grandma Glor, I appreciate it! I am trying to keep calm as best I can, I’ve never had anything like this before. My gosh, how do people cope with this sort of thing if they can’t pay to get medical help! It must be horrible! I’m lucky that between my health insurance and my parents I can afford help, how grateful I am. But especially for the prayers, this is going to be a long night and the pain is taking its toll.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.