Please pray for my marriage

Please help.

I need all the help I can get, and I know your prayers, added to my own, will please God, and if it is His will, restore our marriage.

My wife had a very difficult childhood. She was verbally and physically abused, and found out in her teens that the parents she was raised by weren't even her real parents. Her real mother had abandoned her as an infant, and her mother was later committed for a period in a hospital for schizophrenia. No one knows where her real father is.

We've been together for 10 years, and married for 5. She has never been an emotional woman, but for her anger, which is never but the smallest slight away from exploding. For the last 2 years, she's become very depressed and has sought solace in the bottom of a bottle of wine every day. A beautiful woman who was but a size 4, now loathes her appearance as a size 14, but continues in her drink. This just adds to her depression, but does not bother me. As a former alcoholic myself, cured by the Blessed Virgin Mary herself over 15 years ago, I see all the signs. She's now an alcoholic. And she's revisiting the verbal abuse she received as a child on all of us...3 children, 2, 4, and her son of 15. I can do NOTHING right -- every action is belittled and berated as being insufficient. No choice is the right choice. And she has physically assaulted me in one of her moments of rage. Of course as a man, I cannot strike back, but the bruises she inflicted were quite real.

I say all this as background. I love this woman deeply, and want nothing more for her than her happiness and recovery. But I also know that I had to hit bottom before I begged God to come into my life and restore my health. With Him, all things are possible, and I know she needn't go through the same misery that I did.

She has spoke openly of divorce and leaving, but as I've been unemployed over a year, no one has any money to leave...a blessing in disguise. I do not want a divorce. I love her and in spite of all this, I am happy...we're blessed in so many other ways she doesn't see, not the least of which are our two beautiful children.

But I am now afraid only divine intervention can save us, as it once saved me. I'm living proof of the power of prayer, and the reality of miracles. So I ask all those blessed souls here who read this story, to please say a prayer or prayers for this marriage. It can be saved, it can be made holy, and she can be healed...we can be healed.

Thank you so much!!!!!!

Praying for you and your wife ...

Hail Mary,
full of grace,
the Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb,
Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

[quote="Humbled125, post:1, topic:182649"]
Please help.

I need all the help I can get, and I know your prayers, added to my own, will please God, and if it is His will, restore our marriage.

My wife had a very difficult childhood. She was verbally and physically abused, and found out in her teens that the parents she was raised by weren't even her real parents. Her real mother had abandoned her as an infant, and her mother was later committed for a period in a hospital for schizophrenia. No one knows where her real father is.

We've been together for 10 years, and married for 5. She has never been an emotional woman, but for her anger, which is never but the smallest slight away from exploding. For the last 2 years, she's become very depressed and has sought solace in the bottom of a bottle of wine every day. A beautiful woman who was but a size 4, now loathes her appearance as a size 14, but continues in her drink. This just adds to her depression, but does not bother me. As a former alcoholic myself, cured by the Blessed Virgin Mary herself over 15 years ago, I see all the signs. She's now an alcoholic. And she's revisiting the verbal abuse she received as a child on all of us...3 children, 2, 4, and her son of 15. I can do NOTHING right -- every action is belittled and berated as being insufficient. No choice is the right choice. And she has physically assaulted me in one of her moments of rage. Of course as a man, I cannot strike back, but the bruises she inflicted were quite real.

I say all this as background. I love this woman deeply, and want nothing more for her than her happiness and recovery. But I also know that I had to hit bottom before I begged God to come into my life and restore my health. With Him, all things are possible, and I know she needn't go through the same misery that I did.

She has spoke openly of divorce and leaving, but as I've been unemployed over a year, no one has any money to leave...a blessing in disguise. I do not want a divorce. I love her and in spite of all this, I am happy...we're blessed in so many other ways she doesn't see, not the least of which are our two beautiful children.

But I am now afraid only divine intervention can save us, as it once saved me. I'm living proof of the power of prayer, and the reality of miracles. So I ask all those blessed souls here who read this story, to please say a prayer or prayers for this marriage. It can be saved, it can be made holy, and she can be healed...we can be healed.

Thank you so much!!!!!!

[/quote]

Went through this with my wife at one point. Horrible childhood, abortions done in her life, drugs, sex, you name it.

One of the abortions was done when we were together, and I was still actually married to another woman at the time. I was a horrible sinner, have come back home, and been that way for years now. Topic for another time.

I could not help my wife with most of the things she was encountering. I prayed, and worked with her. We were both alcoholics, well still are technically, though we don't drink anymore.

Anyway, we came close to divorce numerous times, and honestly still have some horrible fights. Bad childhoods seem to really really really affect how one functions in the world the rest of one's life.

I will pray for you my friend. Just know that it will never be easy, as most marriages aren't anyway, but those of us with wives as ours are, are even more difficult. You will just have to be strong, endure, take the hits when she gives them, and try your hardest to forgive. Continue praying, and when you can get into counseling, when she will go, you need to. It won't be fun the first few visits, as it will all be "your fault". It is a way that those feeling hurt will handle it at first. Lashing out against those that will weather it, seems the logical choice for them I believe.

May Christ and his earthly family pray for you, and guide you always.

I am sorry to read of your difficulties in your marriage. I wonder whether you could have
a chat with your priest in confidence.
Also tell your wife how much you love her and try to avoid her when she drinks.
When she is calmer tell her how much you love her and would it help if she had
a chat with her doctor.
I think telling her she has a problem is going to make things worse and ,make her
feel defensive.But telling her you love her and ‘would it help to chat to a doctor about
how she feels emotionally’ might sound better.I don’t know you know your wife better
than anyone.
You are both in my prayers and the children too.

Lord please help this couple resolve their marriage issues.
Grant they both treat each other with respect and learn to show love
May they communicate truly with one another and renew their marriage
Please grant the children are not overly hurt by all thius and able to overcome
worried they may have.Amen

Divine Mercy
Eternal God,
in whom mercy is endless
and the treasury of compassion

• inexhaustible,
    look kindly upon us
    and increase Your mercy in us,
    that in difficult moments
    we might not despair
    nor become despondent,
    but with great confidence
    submit ourselves to Your holy will,
    which is Love and Mercy itself.

Amen

I am praying for you, your wife and especially your children.

Hail Mary,
full of grace,
the Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb,
Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

Dear Married,

Know that I and my family will indeed keep you in prayer... our own lives have had a few difficulties, so I will offer my suffering for the healing of your marriage. Christ will work it for the good, just be humble and patient. May Our Lady wrap her mantle of peace and protection round you all, Brummy.

Praying hard for your marriage.

Oh my...you have no idea how much everyone's words mean to me. Thank you SO much for your prayers, your support, and your empathy...just that has already helped, and made me feel less alone, and more determined. God bless all of you !!!! :signofcross:

humbled:

I'm praying for you and your wife. I, too, am struggling with issues in my marriage, not like yours, but just as painful. I pray that God hears you as I pray He hears me and all who are struggling with life's problems.

God bless you and your family.

Our Father, Who art in heaven, hallowed be Thy name.
Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done, on earth as it as it is in heaven.
Give us this day, our daily bread and forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive
those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but
deliver us from evil.
Amen

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,and
blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and
at the hour of our death.
Amen

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit,
as it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be world without end.
Amen

Divine Mercy
Eternal God,
in whom mercy is endless
and the treasury of compassion

• inexhaustible,
    look kindly upon us
    and increase Your mercy in us,
    that in difficult moments
    we might not despair
    nor become despondent,
    but with great confidence
    submit ourselves to Your holy will,
    which is Love and Mercy itself.

Amen

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.