Please pray for my Mom, who has Parkinson's

Greetings, all,

My mother is 85 and in the advanced stages of Parkinson’s - has had it for years now. My dad, also 85, is taking care of her and my 56-year-old sister lives at home with them (and has her whole life). Sis is an artist, doesn’t make enough to live on, and has retreated from the world so much that now she doesn’t want to drive or go anywhere except to the grocery store (with my dad) or answer the door. She used to work outside the home, date, even went to college for a while, but won’t do anything now. She isn’t really painting that much any more, either.

Mom sleeps most of the day, can’t read or do anything any more and just sits in a chair when she is awake, isn’t very responsive. My dad is in good health for his age, but he spends most of his time taking care of my mom and I know he’s tired out. Their house is a mess, full of stuff (a lot of it belongs to Sis and my other Sis, who lives in another city 3 hours away and has a hoarding addiction - but that’s another story).

I live 7 1/2 hours away and see them about twice a year. I just came back from visiting them last week and am very concerned about them. I think Dad is in denial about Mom’s condition, and Sis cooks and does laundry but is an emotionally needy person and I think that furthers the burden on Dad.

I just found out that Dad and Sis go to the grocery store together and leave Mom at home by herself - I told Dad I didn’t think that was a good idea. The day after I left, Dad went somewhere and left Sis with Mom. Sis was supposed to wake Mom to give her a pill, but she couldn’t revive her. Instead of calling 911 (there is a hospital within half a mile of their house), she called my Dad (who was 20 miles away). My dad came home and managed to revive her, but he admitted he thought at first that she might be dead.

Since I can’t get my dad to listen to me, I e-mailed my brothers to ask them if they could persuade Dad to get a home health care aide to come in and help. I also expressed my concern over the growing clutter and dirtiness of their house, and someone to help with that. One of my brothers basically belittled my concerns and pretty much made me feel that I was overly critical and putting my nose where it didn’t belong, although he didn’t say so in so many words. I took a deep breath and decided that I am going to just put this in God’s hands, as I have been trying to do for months now, and stop trying to rouse others to action.

Please pray for my mom, and for my dad, and that my family will not totally explode when my mother passes away, which is another thing nagging at me. God bless.

You will be in my daily prayers Maria, as your mom, dad and family …
Praying hard

Our Father who art in Heaven, hallowed be Thy Name.
Thy Kingdom come,
Thy will be done, on earth, as it is in Heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us.
Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. Amen

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit,
as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now,
and at the hour of our death. Amen

God please bless Maria’s Dad whose challenges are serious and ongoing, and his efforts are a living out of Matthew 25, verses 31-40, and thus of the two great commandments of Jesus…therefore while difficult on earth it will be his joy in heaven. Please help him day by day, and also his wife whose sufferings are also great. No doubt, added to this he has concerns for his daughter’s future when he is gone. Please grant peace of soul and mind to this good man and his wife.

God bless and help Maria’s sister, as the ill-health and stagnation is her situation is probably cause of depression, and the untidiness that expresses and results from that.

So I ask You, our God, that Maria is able to continue to offer what expressions of warmth and love that she can by message, given the distance, and by prayer, and by kind visits when that is possible

Our God, Maria is the only person over whom she has powers of decision. Please help her to understand where her responsibility begins and ends, and let her contribute accordingly, and for the rest, trust and pray. Please inspire other family members to do likewise.
Thank You, our God

My deceased grandfather had Parkinson’s. My sister-in-law’s father has it and has attempted suicide twice. Pray for the care-givers as well as the victim!

Lord, I pray for Maria’s mother. Keep her safe and bound to you in love and faith. Help her to get a home health aide if she can get one, and help her husband have the strength to endure faithfully his circumstances. Help their daughter who is living with them to be holy and bless the entire family with your graces to help them get to heaven. Thank you, Lord, for hearing my prayer. Amen.

Praying hard for your whole family. My father had Parkinson’s, it’s difficult for the one suffering with the disease and for the caregivers/family. God bless you all, I’ll pray to St. Dymphna for your sister.

Our Father, Who art in Heaven, hallowed be Thy Name.
Thy Kingdom come, Thy Will be done, on earth as it as it is in Heaven.
Give us this day, our daily bread and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive
those who trespass against us. Lead us not into temptation, but
deliver us from evil.
Amen

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with Thee.
Blessed art Thou among women,and
blessed is the fruit of Thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us now, and
at the hour of our death.
Amen

Glory be to the Father, to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
As it was in the beginning, as is and ever shall be, world without end.
Amen

O my Jesus, forgive us our sins, save us from the fires of Hell,
lead all souls to heaven, especially, those in most need of Your Mercy.
Amen

Have you contacted their Chruch? Usually there’s an outreach group for the sick. They could bring meals and Communion. Maybe it isn’t much but it means others are coming into the home and checking.

Hospice…you don’t have to be terminal for them to help. A nurse will visit at least once every two weeks, check your Mom’s blood pressure etc, and check for bed sores. They’ll do much more depending on her needs. It can also provide a person to wash her. It can provide any equipment that you need as well as supplies such as no water soap and shampoo and diapers,and deliver prescriptions which means your Dad will not have to drive to the drug store. There is repite care too. Once Dad and Sis feel comfortable with the Hospice workers, they might appreciate the break.

Red Cross has those emergency buzzers both can wear around their necks or on their wrists. Worth checking out.

You could have a standing order at a Chinese rest. to deliver dinners for Dad and Sis a couple of times a month as a break for your sister. Might make her feel better.

Sis sounds depressed. Any chance of getting her to a doctor? She’s pretty isolated and probably overwhelmed but doesn’t know it.

They’re in my prayers.

Thank you, everyone, for your kind words and prayers! They are very much appreciated.

My sister probably does have some depression - she was diagnosed with OCD some years ago - but she has been refusing help for years. She also is vegetarian and obsesses about what’s in the food - for example, whole wheat flour only, no white, although none of them have food allergies or anything - so ordering meals out might offer her a break, but she would refuse to do it. I am also concerned about the lack of protein my mother is receiving - I think she could use some meat, since she is skin and bones and also has osteoporosis.

Dad brings Communion to Mom (he was - I guess he still is), and they had their priest come and give her Anointing of the Sick. Sis hid upstairs the whole time the priest was there - which probably has something to do with why they are reluctant to call for help.

I have been trying to persuade my dad to enlist the help of a home health care aide, but no luck so far. My boss offered to see if he could find some good ones in their area - I will see what he can find out.

Thank you all. God bless. :angel1:

I pray for Parkinson’s patients each and every day – I also pray that someone here on earth with God’s help will find a cure for this terrible disease.
My husband had Parkinson’s disease and once he was diagnosed our whole life involved his PD – we belonged to support groups, went to exercise classes, etc. He handled the disease very well till he fell and broke his hip, and then it was all downhill. I had to have 24-hour a day help because I was pretty old – in upper 70’s – and he took it very well. He was a fireman and in battling fires ran up and down ladders, across roofs, etc. but with the PD he couldn’t even get on a stepstool.
I felt if I had been younger I wouldn’t have had to have the 24-hour a day help, but since I was pretty old I just couldn’t do it all myself. I got the help through an agency, and both of the “gals” were great with my husband. Ironically the woman who came at night only took 3-4 nights off in many months but the 4th-5th night she couldn’t make it, that was the night my husband chose to die.
I will continue to pray for ALL PD patients, including your Mom.

Our Father, who art in heaven,
hallowed be thy name;
thy kingdom come;
thy will be done
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread;
and forgive us our trespasses
as we forgive those who trespass against us;
and lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.
Amen.

Hail Mary,
full of grace,
the Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb,
Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

Hail Mary,
full of grace,
the Lord is with thee.
Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
Amen.

Thy Kingdom come,

Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now

Praying hard for your family.

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
and blessed is the fruit
of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of death.
Amen.

Thank you, everyone! :slight_smile:

Thy Kingdom come,

Our Father, Who art in Heaven, hallowed be Thy Name.
Thy Kingdom come, Thy Will be done, on earth as it as it is in Heaven.
Give us this day, our daily bread and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive
those who trespass against us. Lead us not into temptation, but
deliver us from evil.
Amen

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with Thee.
Blessed art Thou among women,and
blessed is the fruit of Thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us now, and
at the hour of our death.
Amen

Glory be to the Father, to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
As it was in the beginning, as is and ever shall be, world without end.
Amen

O my Jesus, forgive us our sins, save us from the fires of Hell,
lead all souls to heaven, especially, those in most need of Your Mercy.
Amen

Thy Kingdom come,

Hail Mary,
full of grace,
the Lord is with thee.
Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
Amen.

Thy Kingdom come,

Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.