Please pray for the person(s) who stole from my grandfather's grave

I recently went to bring flowers to my grandfather’s grave only to discover that someone(s) stole his flower holder (probably throwing away his old flowers in the process) and put it on their loved one’s grave instead (located next to my grandfather’s grave). I know this was the same flower holder. I verified it before jumping to any conclusions. They even went so far as to bury the base of the flower holder so as to make it more difficult to take back.

Please pray for this person(s) who felt it was acceptable to steal from the deceased. Pray that they will recognize that stealing is a sin and repent of their theft. Please also pray for me to stop being angry with them for this and to forgive them in my heart. And lastly, but not least, please pray for my deceased grandfather (John M.).

Thank you.

Praying…

Prayers for the repose of the soul of your grandpa; may he rest in peace.
Also how awful! How sad someone would do such a thing and prayers for you as well
for relief from anger.

Mary.

PS My friend works in a cemetary and they have to put up the flags Monday morning
and take them down Monday night so they are not stolen over the weekend. Very sad.

Praying for your peace of heart.

Thank you all for your prayers. Sadly, this is not the first time one of my deceased loved ones have had something stolen from their grave. It boggles my mind how someone could steal from the deceased. But I ask God to forgive them and I am trying to forgive them now. Thanks again for your prayers.

Our Father who art in Heaven, hallowed be thy name.
Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.
Amen.

Amen

It might have been a misunderstanding where a family member or friend honestly thought it was you who stole the vase from the other grave, and moved it back there. All you can do without further evidence is to assume it was a misunderstanding and replace the vase that was taken from your grandfather, considering the original vase as being a gift.

Definitely don’t do the same thing. Even though the vase belongs to your family, it could inflict even more suffering by starting a feud between families over a flower vase.

I am sorry that happened to your family.

My father was a farmer and when he died my mother bought a little lamb and put it on his grave. Someone kept stealing his little lamb and putting it on a fresh unmarked grave next to his. My mother kept “stealing” it back until someone told her that the fresh, unmarked grave was that of a small, poor child. She left it there. You never know the reasons for stealing from a grave site, but perhaps it was someone who was poor like the mother of the child buried next to my Dad. May they both rest in peace. This a true account.

Thank you for your prayers.

As to some of the suggestions regarding motives, etc. The other grave did not have a flower holder on it previously. I’ve been going to my grandfather’s grave regularly since he passed away 7 months ago. There has never been any flowers or flower holders on the grave next to his until today.

It appears that the person who stole his flower holder visited with flowers and various knick knacks and realized they didn’t have a flower holder and took my grandfather’s. The neighboring grave went from being completely unadorned to having a bouquet of flowers, and about 5 or 6 little signs and knick knacks on it. So I really think they just forgot and decided to take his flower holder so their flowers wouldn’t die.

I did not start any feuds. I took the flower holder back (because it is not theirs) and threw it away (because it was broken and leaking anyway). Then I purchased and placed new flower holders on both my grandfather’s grave and their loved one’s grave. So they have no reason to steal again in the future. Christ said we should give to those who take from us so they have received a gift. I just wish they would have had greater respect for the dead.

The flower vase on my brother’s grave was stolen. I looked around and thought it may have been used on another grave. Some are the same design and i couldn’t recognize his. Initials engraved on the vase will indicate where it belongs but will not prevent it from being taken for another grave or by someone who removes it from the cemetery. I am saving to buy a new vase. It is costly. There are graces received for visiting a grave. It is an act of mercy. God bless you for remembering your uncle.

Praying…

Hail Mary…

What a beautiful gesture! Thank you!! :smiley:
I will offer prayers for you, your grandfather, and for all those who seem to think that taking whatever they may want, from wherever they may find it, is OK.
It is a very sad commentary on the state of society when things like this happen.
I live near a historic cemetary, and not only are things removed from graves, head stones have been damaged, overturned, and windows on masoleums have been destroyed. It truly disgusts me! :mad:

Let us also pray that people change their hearts, and that they think before they act.

That was a very noble thing you did. I will pray for your grandfather as well.

***Hail Mary,
full of grace,
the Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb,
Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of our death.

Amen.

:crossrc:***

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.