Please pray that I can afford to stay in college

Hi,

I am really worried almost to the point of panic, and could really use your prayers.

I’m a sophomore in college, attending Duquesne University for music performance, studying classical piano. It’s been a struggle for several of the semesters to get the money. The first semester, my mom borrowed on her 401(k). The second semester, thankfully we were able to get a loan that covered that as well as last semester.

I thought we’d be fine this semester. I looked at the statement last month, and it listed the statement balance as $8,300 after all the grants and federal loans were applied (about $11,500). I was fine with that, because I knew a grant would be coming in from the Blind and Visual Services for $6,700. That’d leave me with about $1,500, and I’d just need to pay that to under $1,000 in order to make my housing deposit and to schedule for next year. It’d be hard by myself, but my mom agreed to split it with me.

Well, then I noticed the current balance (as opposed to statement) was $10,700. I couldn’t understand why that was, but then looked at the history and realized it was because I switched majors. Last semester I was in the school of science, which only cost $11,700, but after almost failing and realizing I belonged in music, I switched to the music school, which costs $14,500 per semester.

They had charged me for the school of science back in November, and didn’t get around to refunding me that cost and charging the cost of the music school, until January 31, after the statement was released.

Anyway, in short, it’s now $4,000 I owe instead of $1,500. I am on disability, only receiving about $600 a month from that, and my mom can’t afford much more. Neither of us can get loans, due to my lack of history and her poor credit. The one place we got a loan last year isn’t accepting anymore applications. She’s seeing if she can borrow on her 401(k) again, but besides that, I’m at a loss.

It has to be under $1,000 by the end of the month, so I can make my $300 housing deposit so that I can live here next year, and scheduling is probably not long thereafter.

I honestly think I’ll be fine after this semester. My mom said she’d help with payments, and if we both give $250 or so every month over 5-6 months, that does a lot to pay down the balance. I just really have to figure out a way to pay this this semester.

I’m sorry for the long post, but I’m really worried. I know that every time this has happened to me in the past, it has all worked out, and I thank God for that, and take solace in it. Being that I really feel like God’s purpose for me is to be a pianist right now, as I’ve been playing for so long and it is so enjoyable and natural, I just don’t see how having to drop out at this point would help anything. I panic when just thinking of that possibility.

Please, please pray for me that I can somehow afford this and be able to stay in college.

I am sorry about your worry about money to stay in school.

I was just reading about this program:
collegeplus.org/
It’s a Protestant perspective, but I think the idea is great. There is a gal in my city who took 3 years off her education (hence less $$ for the basic classes).

Praying for you.

I know from experience how difficult a struggle it is when you don’t have the money you need. I ask the Lord to give you all that you need, somehow so that you are able to continue your studies. May God bless you and your mother.

And all who are struggling to meet the costs of study.

If it is God’s will for you to stay in college, He will provide.

Praying very hard for you to be successful in your finances and in school.

I add my prayers that you may stay in college and attain your dream.

I know that, and it gives me some degree of comfort in trying to remember that. God’s never led me astray.

Thanks everyone for your prayers. I really appreciate it.

May God protect you and guide you through your college and career. Never give up hope that God is already guiding you toward the best path for you, even if it is different from what you think is the best path.

i will keep you in my daily prayers…

kate

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the Fruit of Thy Womb,
Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

I am praying for you and your intention.

closed #12

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.