Please pray that I learn how to forgive someone

I was really hurt by the wrongful actions of a former friend and I still carry around that hurt and anger. I have seen this person profit and suffer no ill consequences but seemingly grow and be blessed by God in her life. I struggle with this because I received no apology and was deeply hurt and betrayed by her choices.

It has been over a year now and I find myself as hurt and angered by her behavior as ever and also resentful that there was no justice for what she did. It seems like God has turned a blind eye to this situation.
I was always a very good friend to her and treated her like family. I know she was in a hurt place and that hurt people hurt people but she still wounded me and threw away our friendship. I know that she misses our friendship but my heart feels so hardened to this situation and I don’t know what to do.

I pray for her daily and ask God to help me forgive her but it seems as far out of my reach as ever. Please pray that I learn how to forgive her and move on and stop feeling neglected by God for the lack of justice in this situation.

Forgiveness can sometimes be extremely difficult. I struggled for years to forgive certain persons who had deliberately injured me. Although I forgave and forgave, it never seemed to “stick.”

Then I found a way to forgive completely. I offered up the pain each person had caused me for the sake of his soul. Each time I once again felt pain from what was done to me (and yes, this happened again and again), I offered up the new pain as well.

In the Our Father, we pray “Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us.” Surely, then, forgiving in this way will also help pave the way for those times when we need forgiveness ourselves. And you know what else? The pain I once felt has lessened considerably, to the point where it’s almost gone.

Hope this helps! :slight_smile:

I know it is difficult but why not be the first to make a move. Let it be your move even if it was you who was hurt. Go to her and tell her you have forgiven her. You have told God, which means you really do want to forgive; now go ahead and tell her as well. She could be agonizing over how to approach you and apologize but is too ashamed of what she did. Give her a chance to apologize.

I am praying for your intention. May God purify your love, free you from resentment, and bring peace to your heart.

Our Father, Who art in heaven,
Hallowed be Thy Name.
Thy Kingdom come.
Thy Will be done, on earth as it is in Heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.

Amen.

Saint Michael, the archangel, defend us in battle, be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the devil, may God rebuke him, we humbly pray. And do you, O’ Prince of the Heavenly host, by the power of God thrust into Hell Satan and all the other evil spirits who prowl about the world for the ruin of souls.

Amen.

Our Father who art in Heaven, hallowed be thy name.

Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven.

And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.

And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.

Amen.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.

Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb Jesus.

Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.

Amen.

Praying for your intentions.

Gracious and merciful Father, please come to their assistance.

Our Father, who art in Heaven, hallowed be thy name.
Thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on Earth as it is in Heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread,
and forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.
Amen.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

Glory Be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end.
Amen.

Praying that the Lord may heal your hurts and enable you to forgive this person. Also praying for all necessary graces for you.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou amongst women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death. Amen

Thank you for your prayers.
I am trying to spend this Lenten season learning how to forgive and put this issue into God’s hands. I keep reading and hearing how God forgives us to the same measure that we forgive others and this is hard for me, because it sticks in my throat.
I feel like I deserve justice or fairness and yet I know that I don’t. Jesus didn’t deserve to die for us and yet he chose to willingly in his innocence. I find myself struggling to let go of this desire for justice or to have my name cleared from the horrible and undeserved things she said about me. I want to know how she could turn on a true friend like that and years later, with no apology, pretend to be a Catholic.

These are just my frustrations and it makes it that much harder for me feeling like I have to excuse myself for her behavior and that she continues to prosper despite her wrongdoing.

Thank you for your prayers. I’m going to continue to ask God to help me forgive.

Lord, please send your Spirit to heal the wounds in these souls and in this relationship. May no one harbor ill-feelings, and may they exercise forgiveness, as even you taught from the cross, forgiving your murderers. Send angels to help with this intention, and to lead these souls by grace to faith, hope, love, and joy ever toward the eternal banquet of joy. Have mercy, Lord. Our Lady, angels, and saints, pray with us. Amen.

I am still praying to learn to forgive everyday.
I don’t know how to let go of these feelings of injustice or anger.
Thank you for praying for me.
I am praying that the Lord teaches me how to forgive since I will be judged by the measure of my forgiveness.

Faultless Lord, enduring death for me,
You have consummated the debt of my sins:
Your sacrifice of forgiveness was absolute!
Grant me the strength to also forgive others,
To excuse their transgressions against me.
So I may truly reflect this spiritual fruit,
Obliterate any persistent feelings of malice.
Let each trespass end as a closing chapter,
My continuing on the road of righteousness.
Forgive my sins as I aspire to forgive others.
You are truly archetypical of forgiveness.
You are a most forgiving Lord!

I will pray with I know what you are going through I too was hurt by a friend but with time and God’s grace I have learned to forgive.

I cannot say I have forgotten, there are so many times it crosses my mind and I start wondering if God intervened for me. But I hold no hard feelings against her since I believe God is the ultimate judge.

May God give you the grace you need and peace in your heart.

Our Father, who art in Heaven, hallowed be thy name.
Thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on Earth as it is in Heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread,
and forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.
Amen.

Hallowed be Thy Name.
Thy Kingdom come.

Amen.

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the Fruit
of thy womb, Jesus.

Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of death.

Amen. †

Saint Michael, the archangel, defend us in battle,
be our defense against the wickedness and snares
of the devil, may God rebuke him, we humbly pray.
And do you, O’ Prince of the Heavenly host, by the
power of God thrust into Hell Satan and all the other
evil spirits who prowl about the world for the ruin of souls.

Amen. † :signofcross: :blessyou:

Praying.

Hallowed be Thy Name.
Thy Kingdom come.

Amen.

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
and blessed is the Fruit
of thy womb, Jesus.

Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,

Amen. †

I want to say. Do not think too much about it. You may be assuming. You do not know what really happens in her life. God is living and he truly sees what is going on in people’s hearts. I think you should try writing down the situation the way you honestly remember it. Maybe try thinking of from her perspective, I KNOW THIS VERY HARD FOR SOME. Pray. Whenever you think of her, say “Hail Mary.” Maybe you are not ready to be around her. Maybe just say a quick “hi” and then move on. You could try fasting to remove any last remnants of resentment you harbor.

Its interesting how people so often & so continually substitute fear / self preservation for a lack of forgiveness & love. If one was hurt & has no idea why; why would u put yourself back into that situation? If the offenders behaviour was obviously deliberate & repeated, what sort of lunatic would go back asking for more?
You can pray for the offenders, & even love them:.but from a distance. You may have forgiven them & only wish them well, but to throw yourself back into the lion’s den? Please, really it has nothing to do with forgiveness.

Hallowed be Thy Name.
Thy Kingdom come.

Amen.

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
and blessed is the Fruit
of thy womb, Jesus.

Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,

Amen. †

Hallowed be Thy Name.
Thy Kingdom come.

Amen.

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
and blessed is the Fruit
of thy womb, Jesus.

Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,

Amen. †

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.